Thread: 1987 New Yorker

Garrett booster

1987 New Yorker

So I got another project vehicle, an 87 New Yorker Turbo. The only thing I have done to it so far is get rid of the stock steel wheels with the ugly hub caps and put a set of crab rims and new tires on it. The transmission isn't the smoothest and when the gas peddle is pushed more than half way the gear selector will jump to neutral. So I am planning on swaping a manual in it. I have a 520 sitting around and was wondering what would look best for a consule for around the shifter.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 1987 New Yorker

You can solve the trans going into neutral problem for the time being by lubricating the kick down lever on the top of the trans.

Garrett booster

Finally got time to work on my New Yorker this weekend. I did what cordes said and lubricated the kick down lever on the trans and it works so much better. I also was able to get a new muffler put on it. Got it washed today and took a new picture of it. I'm back to thinking about keeping an auto in it now that it shifts better. Would like a lock up trans in it though.

[/URL]

Have you shopped around for some .91 transfer gears? They'll take you to a nearly ideal cruise RPM, but you'll have to weight where that puts you gear wise with your goals.

Garrett booster

I have a set of .91 transfer gears, but have been hesitant to put them in. They would help mileage a lot, but I think it would also make it doggy as heck from a stop light. It kind of is already.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986GLH View Post
    I have a set of .91 transfer gears, but have been hesitant to put them in. They would help mileage a lot, but I think it would also make it doggy as heck from a stop light. It kind of is already.
    I was worried about that with my Neon, but it really wasn't that noticeable to me. I'm anxious to try them in a 2.2 or 2.5 powered car because they have so much more torque.

boostaholic

Yes they do Cordes, 2.5 in an Omni is a big difference.
    I swapped them in my Omni 5-6 years ago when it was a 2.2, didn't notice it being doggy, dropped the RPM a couple hundred at the finish line
    You'll probably notice it more in a NY'r, but you can just turn up the boost a little more.

turbo addict

Oh, we are so gonna race our NY'ers against each other. hehe.

Garrett booster

Todd that would be great, wish mine was as nice as yours is. It's probably my favorite TM that I've owned so far.

Does anyone know if you can run a locking torque converter with a logic module? Or did Chrysler start the locking converters when they had the SMEC?

Quote Originally Posted by 1986GLH View Post
    Todd that would be great, wish mine was as nice as yours is. It's probably my favorite TM that I've owned so far.

Does anyone know if you can run a locking torque converter with a logic module? Or did Chrysler start the locking converters when they had the SMEC?
    You can run a switch and do it manually. I don't believe there is a provision in the stock code for them, and I don't know that it's been added to T-LM yet.

Garrett booster

I thought about running a switch but would like it best if it was run by the LM. Yeah I didn't think it was added to T-LM yet. I'm hoping with Rob's super LM it becomes available.

Garrett booster

So finally had a chance to get my old 2.5 to my brothers work where we tore it the rest of the way down and stuck it in the Cuda to degrease it. Also did some cleaning under the hood and charged the AC. While I was changing the oil my brother got bored and decided to put Daytona Shelby springs in the rear, which helps it sit a little more level.