Thread: a413 shifting late into 2nd and early into 3rd all of a sudden

Hybrid booster

Unhappy a413 shifting late into 2nd and early into 3rd all of a sudden

Hey Guys

-I was at the drag strip and my trans switched from shifting at 5500 to below 4500 at wot. It has even shifted into thrid, then downshifted to second and into third at the normal rpm. It also revs out to 6 grand is first when it used to be around 5600, and holds first gear till just before 4k when on mild throttle when before it was just after 3k. It now does this full time.

Any idea what could cause this? It isn't slipping it just started shifting funky. Fluid is clean and unburnt red. I am considering putting a rmvb as it sounds like a valve body problem.

About a week ago I experienced this once and so I added some fluid after a 16 mile trip until it was just under the hot mark. A day of two after I started seeing a half dollar sized puddle of atf whenever i parked. If you guys have any insight on the leak that would be great too.

Thanks,
    -Jeff
    Last edited by jefo; 04-21-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: a413 shifting late into 2nd and early into 3rd all of a sudden

Leak, you'll have to figure that out, you have the van there,

I would bet the converter is coming apart and filling the trans with metal bits, common and making the valve body stick. Do you have an external magnetic filter?

Drop the pan, and I bet you'll see a lot of crud in the bottom, and I bet the leak is the pump seal.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

yes I have an external magnetic filter along with a cooler. The fluid on the dipstick looks like it did the day I put it in and there are no metals shavings.
    I guess I'd have to drop the pan to see.
    Where is the pump seal? it seems to be leaking mid way up the trans somewhere. (above the axles)

Leaking as in where? At the bellhousing? axles?

Pump seal is the converter seal, same thing.

Fluid can still be red with bits in it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Alright. I'm going to buy a rmvb, pull the pan and see whats up. From what I can see the fluid has no metal in it on the dipstick.
    I'm probably going to install the rmvb and set it just above the factory wot line pressure to retaing reliability on the trans. Maybe remove one of my trans coolers along with new oil and filter and tightened bands.

Hybrid booster

It looked like the leak was coming from the diff case, but I found it is coming from both the axle seals just dripping off the diff pan. Mostly from the drivers side.

So its either the seals or the diff bearings right? How hard is it to replace the diff bearings with the tranny in the van? Can the bearings be effectively examined with the diff pan off?

Maybe the weird shifting is due to bearing material?
    Last edited by jefo; 05-08-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Sorry but my memory is going but I am pretty sure you can get the cover off without removing the K-member, but you'll quickly find out. Checking bearings is easy though, remove axles, unbolt the housings and remove, you can inspect the cups and the bearings on the carrier.

Hybrid booster

I found where my diff bearings went lol. All of the metal in the pan was very fine and there were no chunks in the pan which is good.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/9572429/

I
    am thinking I should replace the bearings and bolt everthing up with clean fluid and new filters. Then in 500 miles or so drop the pan, put in the rmvb, along with new fluid/ filters to hopefully get rid of most of the metal. Any recommendations? The idea is to not get metal in the new rmvb.

And While I am in there is it possible to shim the output shaft from the pan area?
    Last edited by jefo; 05-12-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Yes, you can shim the diff from the outside, that's how you do it. The shim is behind the bearing on the drivers side. Usually, reusing the same shim with new bearings will keep the same preload.

If you use a nice magetic external filter, maybe another large magnet on the outside of the pan, you should be ok.

Hybrid booster

I got the differential back together and installed the vb with new filter and fluid. I also added 2 extra magnets in the pan. The thing shifts great. I have the line pressure set at 5 turns clockwise (less pressure) than what the rmvb came set at. The shifts are fairly mild at part throttle, and at full throttle they are quick but not jarring. Much better than the old shifts.

Also, anyone else notice the gasket that comes with a tranny filter doesn't line up to the filter holes? Mine had a decent offset from the pickup hole.
    Last edited by jefo; 05-19-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jefo View Post

Also, anyone else notice the gasket that comes with a tranny filter doesn't line up to the filter holes? Mine had a decent offset from the pickup hole.
    You didn't install the gasket correctly, for first timers, it can take quite a while to figure out how it works, been there, got the badge.

Hybrid booster

I tried every way possible to install it, so I am sure installed the gasket corectly. The holes were just a little off which I though was weird, but all worked well.
    Last edited by jefo; 06-26-2013 at 01:11 AM.