Thread: Window motor possessed...

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Window motor possessed...

My driver's side window motor is driving me nuts. I've replaced it 5 times and replaced the gear set once. It works for a dozen times or so and then the gears strip out in the motor. Is there any year model that uses metal gears instead of plastic? I have to roll my window down every day to show my ID card when coming on base and it's getting downright embarrassing that even the gate guards know I can't fix my window! It's a '91 Shadow. BTW, the original motor lasted 15 years before it went out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Window motor possessed...

Any ideas?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: Window motor possessed...

Make sure there isn't anything that has dried lube on it or in the track that will cause it to work harder than it is supposed to. Not in these cars, but I have seen thick white lithium grease cause issues. That's my idea.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict
    The big white gear with the little metal gear has "pellets" inside that strip. You can replace these with something else or fill it with JB.

Or are the teeth themselves stripped? If so you need a complete regulator then because something isn't right with it, the pellets are supposed to strip first.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.