Thread: Where on a 1986 New Yorker is the voltage regulator?

Mitsu booster

Question Where on a 1986 New Yorker is the voltage regulator?

I just replaced my Boush alternator on my 1986 New Yorker and it was running fine for the first day and now it's only charging 12.2 and sometimes not charging at all. I think it may be my voltage regulator, but I have no clue where it is. Can anyone help? This is the only car I have running right now and I need it to get to work.

Re: Where on a 1986 New Yorker is the voltage regulator?

If I remember right, the voltage regulator is part of the power module under the hood.

Mitsu booster

Where is the power module at?

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

And what does it look like?

Mitsu booster

Okay, I've found the power module and I've called up O'Reilly and they said they have a voltage regulator for my car. So do I take the unit apart to find out if the voltage regulator is hiding in there or does O'Reilly not know what there talking about? What bites is, I'm sick, it's raining outside, cold and I would in the morning. I don't want to drive it on just the battery to get to work and back.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

I also have them shipping me a new alternator tomorrow so I can check if they sold me a bad one.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Downoninit View Post
    Okay, I've found the power module and I've called up O'Reilly and they said they have a voltage regulator for my car. So do I take the unit apart to find out if the voltage regulator is hiding in there or does O'Reilly not know what there talking about? What bites is, I'm sick, it's raining outside, cold and I would in the morning. I don't want to drive it on just the battery to get to work and back.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

I also have them shipping me a new alternator tomorrow so I can check if they sold me a bad one.
    Voltage regulator is built into the power module and not replaceable.
    Power module has to be replaced to fix. Make sure your alternator field wires are not broken. Will cause the no charge condition.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Check your fusible links.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the help guys. I put the another new alternator in today, and it seems to be working. I'll keep my fingers crosses to make sure I don't have to put more money into it so soon. It is showing a new problem tho, it's now not showing my temp, it has one bar on it at all times no mater how long I run it. I'm now afraid i may over heat it with out knowing, now I'm wishing it would stay cool for awhile so it it less likely to happen. I don't think my fan turned on even once today.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

If your fan isn't running, check the coolant temp sensor and wires. It's located on the driver's side of the thermostat water box. It has two wires running to it. Tan and black. If you unplug this sensor while the car is running the fan should turn on. This sensor doesn't feed the temp gauge, it's used by the computer to adjust fuel delivery.
    If the fan doesn't turn on when you unplug the temp sensor, check the fan relay. That should be along the driver's side of the inner fender or strut tower.

The temp gauge actually reads from another temperature sender. It's bolted into the head near the front passenger side and has a purple wire. If your gauge isn't reading, this may be the issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	458.5 KB 
ID:	44787

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    If your fan isn't running, check the coolant temp sensor and wires. It's located on the driver's side of the thermostat water box. It has two wires running to it. Tan and black. If you unplug this sensor while the car is running the fan should turn on. This sensor doesn't feed the temp gauge, it's used by the computer to adjust fuel delivery.
    If the fan doesn't turn on when you unplug the temp sensor, check the fan relay. That should be along the driver's side of the inner fender or strut tower.

The temp gauge actually reads from another temperature sender. It's bolted into the head near the front passenger side and has a purple wire. If your gauge isn't reading, this may be the issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	458.5 KB 
ID:	44787
    Excellent information. An easy way to test the temp gauge in the car is to ground the temp gauge sender connector. When you ground that purple wire the gauge should be pegged hot.

Mitsu booster

I found the wire yesterday and it was barely on there lol It's working just fine now

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Thank you guys again, and thanks for the pic too