boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

89 Turbo 5-spd Caravan in NJ

Date: 04th March 2012
    Username: Lee'sdaytona
    Full Name: Lee
    City, State, Zip: Ewing, NJ 08618
    Selling or Wanted Price: $2,000

Description:
    I have decided to sell my 89 Dodge Caravan SE turbo that I converted to 5-spd. It currently has about 165,000 on the clock. I would drive this thing anywhere, and it has been very good to me for the last 6 years. I am going to really miss this van, but I just bought a Dakota that I wanted for towing a boat on a trailer.
    The Good:
    No electrical problems. Pretty much everything works, including cold AC that was just serviced last spring. Fully working infinity Am/FM/Cassette deck. Garrett turbo spools up nicely, a unit from Turbo;s Unleashed. New radiator, Mopar Performance Head Gasket a few years back, good NJ inspection sticker, Heavy duty pressure plate and newer clutch. Manual windows, manual locks. American Racing wheels, with locking hub caps and lug nuts, with good tires with lots of tread left. New Nippodenso alternator back in November. Was my daily driver for 6 years and never left me stranded. Oil changed on schedule. Newer fuel pump within the last couple of years. New master cylinder last year, and brakes are in great shape. All brakes were replaced within the last couple of years. Newer 3" turbo-back exhaust system. Have receipts for all work/parts.

The Bad:
    Due to the 5spd swap, and no clutch switch, the cruise control does not work. This could be solved by installing a clutch switch, but I never missed cruise control. Normal rust spots, a little around the two rear wheel wells, and a patch on the sliding door, but none under the van. The hatch does not stay open without a prop rod. The stud that the gas strut mounts to needs to be welded back to the sheet metal. It just broke off one day. I have the gas strut that came off, and they work fine. The 4-spoke Daytona steering wheel and the mopar boost gage stays with me, and I will put on a daytona 3-spoke burgundy steering wheel I have.

For now, I'll post these photos I have that are a bit older, but I will get some updated photos. Not much has changed. The color is mopar's "plum crazy purple" and I had new vinyl "turbo" decals made to match the originals that were on the fender.

Hybrid booster

Re: 89 Turbo 5-spd Caravan in NJ

makes me miss my van but the daytona will be ok once it hits the road

I have decided to hang onto the van for awhile. With the price of gas going up, my new 04 Dakota V6 5-spd is less fuel efficient than I would have thought. So the mini is going to be retired as a daily driver, but I want to keep it for a back up. Thanks
    -Lee

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Nice van, I have been tempted to get another one.

Gary

Working on clearing the decks.

Damn, I'd have been all over this in a bit. Stupid 5.2 ZJ is eating me alive.

Mitsu booster

Hi ...do you still have the caravan for sale ?

I still have it, but not really interested in parting with it at this time. It has been a great reliable back up for all the troubles I've had with my dakota....the irony....

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Lee'sdaytona View Post
    I still have it, but not really interested in parting with it at this time. It has been a great reliable back up for all the troubles I've had with my dakota....the irony....
    ok well if you change you mind please keep me in mind I am in nearby Delaware ... thanks !