Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HX40 with a billet wheel-alternative choice?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: HX40 with a billet wheel-alternative choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Dude, I have No idea at any time what your thinking, what I'm trying to figure out is how your Not thinking with everything you've been told!

This is a huge problem on this site, a # of you guys Assume you know Sh!t and are trigger happy on the Sarcasm and smarta$$ replys WITHOUT thinking!

Now I could say, who really cares if you morons want to assume everything and understand Nothing, but it poses a problem. You end up leaving a trail of utter confusion for anyone else who is sitting silently in the wings, hoping to learn something.

Now, IF your really asking me to "guess" what your thinking, from the way you've responded in this thread I would say your waiting for the next opportunity to be a smartypants! lol :P

Ok, with that said, if you have nothing to meaningful add, then I suggest stay out. I honestly didn't know looking at other turbo's would be a sin. Guess the DSM guys should be made aware the HX40 isn't worth its weight in metal and hail the 351?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    What do you guys think? Too big for any of our engines?
    YES, unless you want to make 700WHP on a mostly Race only application (max out the compressor) as it will be a laggy turbo to drive around town. (dbl that for the 8v crowd)

But it would make a Great turbo for a v-6 "as is"!!!!

housing is too big but that can be rectified, 16 cm. I'll get the wheel specs later but it could be a nice turbo for us with the right AR housing, and BEP makes housings for these IIRC.
    Oh, my bad, you just answered your own Q by saying the housing is too big? So what was your original Q refering to "size wise"? The compressor side?

Kool! (and this part is going to Blow Your Mind!) There is No need to scew around buying Bep housing ect when it comes to an HX40 turbo for our cars because Holset has already used the Super HX40 compressor wheel in another application and gave it a much smaller A/R turbine so it will spool well on a small mtr like our mtrs

It's called an HE351 That's right Simon, the HE351 has a Super HX40 compressor wheel and it's mated to an HY35 sized turbine wheel in a 9cm housing. Now if that doesn't make sense, think of it this way;

Take the cold side (backing plate/compressor wheel and housing) from the HX40, then take an HY35 9cm turbine wheel and housing and put them together. That would be considered a hybrid HX40/HY35 turbo.

No need to do that though, cuz Holset Already did it; HX40/HY35 = HE351

So, IF you want to know if the HX40 is a good compressor match for our mtrs and not Too big, then YES, it's a GREAT match!

IF your looking for an HX40 sized Turbo (compressor side) with a smaller A/R turbine like you mentioned above, then look no further, the HE351 IS YOUR TURBO!

WARNING Some of the statements made here could be confusing to people who are Not familiar with turbo talk, so let's step back, take a breath and read a couple times if needed!

I'm Not saying the HE351 is an HX40, how can it be if by definition, the HX40 is defined by it's turbine side as well as it's compressor side.

BUT if we are dividing the cold side (compressor) from the hot side (turbine) in disscusion and attempt to arrive at an option of wether the HX40 compressor is a good fit for our mtrs or not (and by you opening statement I believe we are) then when refering to the Compressor side of either turbo, they can indeed be refured to as Super HX40's because that's exactly what they both are!

Now, having said all of this. Because of the 9cm turbine housing and smaller HY turbine wheel, the HE351 will Not be able to make as much power as the full framed HX40 because the turbine side will become its restriction. (assuming you don't have any greater restrictions in your system)

It would seem that 500WHP is the nominal limit with 550WHP starting to become the upper limits (without mods) of the HE351.

So, if you want to use the HX40 compressor and you want to make 550-600WHP more efficiently, but you do Not want the lag of a full framed HX40 turbine side, you can always build an HX40/HX35 turbo. This gives you a slightly larger turbine wheel than the HE351, yet smaller than the Big HX40 turbine wheel and some nice turbine housing A/R's starting at 12cm!

Now, I know what your thinking, could someone stuff that really nice "in between" HX35 turbine wheel into an HE351 and make an HX40/HX35/HE351? So you would have that Great Super HX40 compressor which is a beauty match for our mtrs, along with a larger turbine wheel than the HE351, but it would be contained in the 9cm HE351 turbine housing for super fast spool. In other words, an increadible 600-650WHP turbo for our mtrs and a perfect In-Between from the fast spooling HE351 to the big HP but slower spooling HX40.

Word "LarryB" cuz that's exactly what he did last fall and it obviously worked out flawlessly after putting down what? 630WHP!

So, I hope this post was informative enough to replace the post I deleted when all ppl got from what I was saying was "UH you said an HE351 IS an HX40, Duhu

And just so no one is confused about the HX40/HX35/HE351, I only used that as an eg. of what parts were going into the turbo if you want to dissect it.

It's really just an HE351/HX35 (HE351 turbo with HX35 turbine wheel installed) cuz the HE351 Already has the Super HX40 compressor wheel ( I Really Hope you guys get that now, at least!)
    Last edited by Shadow; 04-21-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Great. now where can i get a 351 cover? lol

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That was a pretty exceptional post.

See, was that hard.

I know about the HX40/35 combo, I've been talking chatting with some of the DSM guys about it, they like the 40/35 combo but they like HX40 with a .70 BEP housing better, which takes it to the next level. Full spool around 4000 rpm on a 2.0L and a nice easy breathing turbine side plus its a good pump gas turbo, which is what I was getting at. The info you posted was great, thanks,

See what discussion brings, phew.

I got the HX40 for dirt cheap, even buying a BEP housing, I am still way under $500 for a complete turbo AND I can run my external gate easily. So I either do that, keep selling the 351 or modify it, , do the HX35/40, and I am selling the 35R, and putting on a true TS header.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 04-20-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

YES, unless you want to make 700WHP on a mostly Race only application (max out the compressor) as it will be a laggy turbo to drive around town. (dbl that for the 8v crowd)

But it would make a Great turbo for a v-6 "as is"!!!!

Oh, my bad, you just answered your own Q by saying the housing is too big? So what was your original Q refering to "size wise"? The compressor side?

Kool! (and this part is going to Blow Your Mind!) There is No need to scew around buying Bep housing ect when it comes to an HX40 turbo for our cars because Holset has already used the Super HX40 compressor wheel in another application and gave it a much smaller A/R turbine so it will spool well on a small mtr like our mtrs

It's called an HE351 That's right Simon, the HE351 has a Super HX40 compressor wheel and it's mated to an HY35 sized turbine wheel in a 9cm housing. Now if that doesn't make sense, think of it this way;

Take the cold side (backing plate/compressor wheel and housing) from the HX40, then take an HY35 9cm turbine wheel and housing and put them together. That would be considered a hybrid HX40/HY35 turbo.

No need to do that though, cuz Holset Already did it; HX40/HY35 = HE351

So, IF you want to know if the HX40 is a good compressor match for our mtrs and not Too big, then YES, it's a GREAT match!

IF your looking for an HX40 sized Turbo (compressor side) with a smaller A/R turbine like you mentioned above, then look no further, the HE351 IS YOUR TURBO!

WARNING Some of the statements made here could be confusing to people who are Not familiar with turbo talk, so let's step back, take a breath and read a couple times if needed!

I'm Not saying the HE351 is an HX40, how can it be if by definition, the HX40 is defined by it's turbine side as well as it's compressor side.

BUT if we are dividing the cold side (compressor) from the hot side (turbine) in disscusion and attempt to arrive at an option of wether the HX40 compressor is a good fit for our mtrs or not (and by you opening statement I believe we are) then when refering to the Compressor side of either turbo, they can indeed be refured to as Super HX40's because that's exactly what they both are!

Now, having said all of this. Because of the 9cm turbine housing and smaller HY turbine wheel, the HE351 will Not be able to make as much power as the full framed HX40 because the turbine side will become its restriction. (assuming you don't have any greater restrictions in your system)

It would seem that 500WHP is the nominal limit with 550WHP starting to become the upper limits (without mods) of the HE351.

So, if you want to use the HX40 compressor and you want to make 550-600WHP more efficiently, but you do Not want the lag of a full framed HX40 turbine side, you can always build an HX40/HX35 turbo. This gives you a slightly larger turbine wheel than the HE351, yet smaller than the Big HX40 turbine wheel and some nice turbine housing A/R's starting at 12cm!

Now, I know what your thinking, could someone stuff that really nice "in between" HX35 turbine wheel into an HE351 and make an HX40/HX35/HE351? So you would have that Great Super HX40 compressor which is a beauty match for our mtrs, along with a larger turbine wheel than the HE351, but it would be contained in the 9cm HE351 turbine housing for super fast spool. In other words, an increadible 600-650WHP turbo for our mtrs and a perfect In-Between from the fast spooling HE351 to the big HP but slower spooling HX40.

Word "Larry" cuz that's exactly what he did last fall and it obviously worked out flawlessly after putting down what? 630WHP!

So, I hope this post was informative enough to replace the post I deleted when all ppl got from what I was saying was "UH you said an HE351 IS an HX40, Duhu

And just so no one is confused about the HX40/HX35/HE351, I only used that as an eg. of what parts were going into the turbo if you want to dissect it.

It's really just an HE351/HX35 (HE351 turbo with HX35 turbine wheel installed) cuz the HE351 Already has the Super HX40 compressor wheel ( I Really Hope you guys get that now, at least!)
    now where is the like button!!!!

turbo addict

i want to give this a try on my truck and on my omni
    http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...g-12-14cm.html

Quote Originally Posted by Khajjathefang View Post
    Great. now where can i get a 351 cover? lol
    Jog my memory, your running HY35? What does the exhaust side look like? V-band out? I know you can swap an HE351 cover backing plate and wheel onto an HE341 (newer style HY35) but I'm not sure about the interchange with the older model Holsets.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Jog my memory, your running HY35? What does the exhaust side look like? V-band out? I know you can swap an HE351 cover backing plate and wheel onto an HE341 (newer style HY35) but I'm not sure about the interchange with the older model Holsets.
    I have an hy35 that needs a rebuild. comp cover is a giant c clip, turbine cover is v-band. Got it free so was trying to find a way to make it work but if thats not possible we can always use it to mock up the header project and find a true 351

I have an hy35 that needs a rebuild. comp cover is a giant c clip, turbine cover is v-band. Got it free so was trying to find a way to make it work but if thats not possible we can always use it to mock up the header project and find a true 351
    I have one for sale,

You can't swap housings from the HX to the 351, totally different.

I have one for sale,

You can't swap housings from the HX to the 351, totally different.
    i might take it off your hands when / if the army ever decides to pay me my damned bonus. lol

i might take it off your hands when / if the army ever decides to pay me my damned bonus. lol
    Hurry up Army,

That's what I'm saying! They're seven months overdue. If it was anyone but the government they'd be in breach of contract.

I've been talking chatting with some of the DSM guys about it, they like the 40/35 combo but they like HX40 with a .70 BEP housing better, which takes it to the next level. Full spool around 4000 rpm on a 2.0L and a nice easy breathing turbine side plus its a good pump gas turbo, which is what I was getting at. The info you posted was great, thanks,
    Your starting to get things mixed up again bro. It's the Small Bep housing (.55 A/R) that spools up around 4100rpm with the HX40 which is right around where they're seeing spool up on the HX40/HX35 turbo. I believe they were quoting 20psi at those rpms if memory serves.

The .70 A/R Bep is 4-500rpm later, so 4500+ depending on set-up cams ect.

So if your not planning on making more than 500WHP the HE351 can't be beat for spool up and performance. The HX40/HX35 OR HX40 in .55 Bep housing for 600-650WHP and only go to the HX40 .70 A/R housing if your planning on going 650+WHP.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Pretty sure the HE351 cover Will work with your set-up. Pics would help. If it's in need of a rebuild you can just get an HE351 complete center section, then all you need is the cover and away you go.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Your starting to get things mixed up again bro. It's the Small Bep housing (.55 A/R) that spools up around 4100rpm with the HX40 which is right around where they're seeing spool up on the HX40/HX35 turbo. I believe they were quoting 20psi at those rpms if memory serves.

The .70 A/R Bep is 4-500rpm later, so 4500+ depending on set-up cams ect.

So if your not planning on making more than 500WHP the HE351 can't be beat for spool up and performance. The HX40/HX35 OR HX40 in .55 Bep housing for 600-650WHP and only go to the HX40 .70 A/R housing if your planning on going 650+WHP.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Pretty sure the HE351 cover Will work with your set-up. Pics would help. If it's in need of a rebuild you can just get an HE351 complete center section, then all you need is the cover and away you go.
    Not getting confused, that's the info he's given me, the .55 is too restrictive and when turning it up, drive pressures become bad, they prefer the .70 housing. I can quote the PM if you like. Yes, I want more than 500 whp.

I have an HX35 in pieces, I'll try the 351 cover swap later on today.

If he buys the 351 cartridge, he still needs the turbine housing, HX's are bolt on, 351 is a band clamp.

Not getting confused, that's the info he's given me, the .55 is too restrictive and when turning it up, drive pressures become bad, they prefer the .70 housing. I can quote the PM if you like. Yes, I want more than 500 whp.

I have an HX35 in pieces, I'll try the 351 cover swap later on today.

If he buys the 351 cartridge, he still needs the turbine housing, HX's are bolt on, 351 is a band clamp.
    Simon, He has an HY35, Not an HX!

Do some more reading on the DSM forums, I've read all of this stuff years ago and with several of them running the same turbo's I've gone to the more reputable ones and that's where I'm getting My info.

Now IF you want to believe that a P-trim sized Super HX40 in a Bep .70 A/R housing is going to be full song @ 4000rpm on a 2l that's fine with me, I'm telling you it won't.

How can I say that? Easy, if it were possible Everyone and they're Mother would be running that turbo for 450-750WHP!

But believe what you like

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Simon, He has an HY35, Not an HX!

Do some more reading on the DSM forums, I've read all of this stuff years ago and with several of them running the same turbo's I've gone to the more reputable ones and that's where I'm getting My info.

Now IF you want to believe that a P-trim sized Super HX40 in a Bep .70 A/R housing is going to be full song @ 4000rpm on a 2l that's fine with me, I'm telling you it won't.

How can I say that? Easy, if it were possible Everyone and they're Mother would be running that turbo for 450-750WHP!

But believe what you like
    I AM on the DSM forums, but I will/am reading more,

My bad, keep thinking he has an HX35. Just took off the 351 cover, the backing plate is a lot smaller than the HX, so not sure if the HY is the same.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 04-22-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Shadow, going over Larry's thread, he swapped the turbine over, interesting.

Wonder what his drive pressures are?

Quote Originally Posted by larryB
    It's a direct bolt in to the center section, just have to open up the turbine housing. I used one of those Harbor Freight 20pc. sanding drum kits with the largest drum on my drill press to open the hole 2mm. Then the smaller drums and a die grinder for the radius. Took less than 2 hours with my primitive equipment. About 85% of the work is making the hole 2mm larger the radius is fairly close already, or at least wasn't near as bad as I expected. The specs on the HX35 wheel 70mmx60mm the HE351 64mmx58mm
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...highlight=dyno
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 04-22-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Word "LarryB" cuz that's exactly what he did last fall and it obviously worked out flawlessly after putting down what? 630WHP!

It's really just an HE351/HX35 (HE351 turbo with HX35 turbine wheel installed)
    Did you even bother reading what I wrote? lol
    Last edited by Shadow; 04-22-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Did you even bother reading what I wrote? lol
    Yes, I totally forgot he did that until you posted it up and wait for it, "WONDER WHAT HIS DRIVE PRESSURES ARE?"

And also for people who are following this calamity of a thread, I posted it so others could see what he actually did. How nice of me eh?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast