Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HX40 with a billet wheel-alternative choice?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

HX40 with a billet wheel-alternative choice?

What do you guys think? Too big for any of our engines? I have one coming for a customers 6.5 turbo diesel but its pretty neat, factory billet compressor wheel, housing is too big but that can be rectified, 16 cm. I'll get the wheel specs later but it could be a nice turbo for us with the right AR housing, and BEP makes housings for these IIRC. These turbo's aren't very expensive if you wait for the right deal.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Re: HX40 with a billet wheel-alternative choice?

With the right set-up, I think it could work (ove course with the correct exhaust housing).

put it on and try itI ould if I could
    later Dick Westerhof

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    put it on and try itI ould if I could
    LOL, mr 2,222 posts.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

There's already a perfectly sized HX40 for our mtrs, it's called an HE351! (how many times )

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

IDK, there's some crazy #'s being produced out of dsm's that are running the HX40's. And that on a 2.0L Granted, its a DOHC engine, too. But I know some of you are running hybrids or 2.4L's... so I say go for it. This car is the current "record holder" on the HX40 in the dsm world: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drag...60mm-hx40.html 9.20@154.32

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

turbo addict

HX40 is a better turbo as long as it is balanced and that turbine wheel does not frag. Seen 580awhp in the old dsm threads. Not sure if that ended up being the same car MB was posting about but they were running deeps 10's. That was with a heavily modified BEP mitsu housing (discontinued tiny flat casting housing, small a/r prior to modification).

Upgraded compressor wheel in hx40 is also a better fit because it has a larger turbine wheel plus the aftermarket housings available. I would call it a ghetto version of a billet 35R. Is there a legitimate price savings though? Billet journal bearing 60-62mm Precisions should be had for just under $1000. Obtaining an HX40, getting the billet wheel and all the machine work (and possible housing upgrades for the billet compressor) and BEP turbine housing should run 800-1000 dollars (if you get the hx40 used for cheap). I do know that 3 years ago the billet compressor wheel was ridiculous expensive. Its rich guy diesel truck stuff (willing to spend lots for a small upgrade that sounds cool when you say it).

Reason I am not an hx40 fan is that I am not a holset fan.......they pop up cheap, then disappear in a few years as people stop upgrading that year of truck. Bansheenut had his turbine wheel frag and the repair bill was basically double what he paid for the turbo (bought it with the best wheel options so a junk hx40 would not help if you could even find one). The billet wheels are also pricey. I like something that you can have a catastrophy with and not be stuck with a defunct setup (or a huge repair bill). I would not have used a holset if I could build my Spirit again. Cheap reliable Garrett style turbos for daily type cars and buy a nicer style unit when you want more then a daily (billet comp wheels, more modern exhaust wheels) then just spend a little more. Now, if you get borg warner or whatever, thats fine. I like the idea of something not going out of style like spring fashion in the fall.

An HX40 with good turbine housing will make more power then Simon has put down in the past, but its not really an upgrade over the turbo you already have. You can talk turbos all day long and I think simon has enough turbo, its just not getting to spread its wings like it is capable. Small displacement gt35r's run 30-40+psi boost to make the big numbers. Run random pump gas/race gas mixes at teenage boost levels with varying amounts of knock (and knock retard) and you will not be so happy in a large van. Its expensive to make the big hp numbers when it comes to octane. I have never stepped up to that plate but I am sure a tank of 100% c16, no knock, 35-40 pounds of boost (don't think you have enough fuel system), reasonable timing, stock cam timing, proper afr, it should make great power. What I hate about race gas is that its all expensive but I hate the idea of running the best race gas you can get when you might not need all that octane. Not that the price difference is always huge.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 04-16-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    There's already a perfectly sized HX40 for our mtrs, it's called an HE351! (how many times )
    WRONG, the 351 is a smaller turbo, its a tweaked HX35 with a 9 cm non TS housing. DJ maxed his out on his 2.4 at what, 500 whp?

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeshadowchik View Post
    IDK, there's some crazy #'s being produced out of dsm's that are running the HX40's. And that on a 2.0L Granted, its a DOHC engine, too. But I know some of you are running hybrids or 2.4L's... so I say go for it. This car is the current "record holder" on the HX40 in the dsm world: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drag...60mm-hx40.html 9.20@154.32
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    HX40 is a better turbo as long as it is balanced and that turbine wheel does not frag. Seen 580awhp in the old dsm threads. Not sure if that ended up being the same car MB was posting about but they were running deeps 10's. That was with a heavily modified BEP mitsu housing (discontinued tiny flat casting housing, small a/r prior to modification).

Upgraded compressor wheel in hx40 is also a better fit because it has a larger turbine wheel plus the aftermarket housings available. I would call it a ghetto version of a billet 35R. Is there a legitimate price savings though? Billet journal bearing 60-62mm Precisions should be had for just under $1000. Obtaining an HX40, getting the billet wheel and all the machine work (and possible housing upgrades for the billet compressor) and BEP turbine housing should run 800-1000 dollars (if you get the hx40 used for cheap). I do know that 3 years ago the billet compressor wheel was ridiculous expensive. Its rich guy diesel truck stuff (willing to spend lots for a small upgrade that sounds cool when you say it).

Reason I am not an hx40 fan is that I am not a holset fan.......they pop up cheap, then disappear in a few years as people stop upgrading that year of truck. Bansheenut had his turbine wheel frag and the repair bill was basically double what he paid for the turbo (bought it with the best wheel options so a junk hx40 would not help if you could even find one). The billet wheels are also pricey. I like something that you can have a catastrophy with and not be stuck with a defunct setup (or a huge repair bill). I would not have used a holset if I could build my Spirit again. Cheap reliable Garrett style turbos for daily type cars and buy a nicer style unit when you want more then a daily (billet comp wheels, more modern exhaust wheels) then just spend a little more. Now, if you get borg warner or whatever, thats fine. I like the idea of something not going out of style like spring fashion in the fall.

An HX40 with good turbine housing will make more power then Simon has put down in the past, but its not really an upgrade over the turbo you already have. You can talk turbos all day long and I think simon has enough turbo, its just not getting to spread its wings like it is capable. Small displacement gt35r's run 30-40+psi boost to make the big numbers. Run random pump gas/race gas mixes at teenage boost levels with varying amounts of knock (and knock retard) and you will not be so happy in a large van. Its expensive to make the big hp numbers when it comes to octane. I have never stepped up to that plate but I am sure a tank of 100% c16, no knock, 35-40 pounds of boost (don't think you have enough fuel system), reasonable timing, stock cam timing, proper afr, it should make great power. What I hate about race gas is that its all expensive but I hate the idea of running the best race gas you can get when you might not need all that octane. Not that the price difference is always huge.
    I won't be running it, just figured I"d post up for discussion. I know my GT has a lot more in it, just need to get all my ducks in a row.
    I have the fuel system, 75lb injectors, 2x255 fuel pumps.

The billet wheel is STOCK, its off a Volvo truck and I paid under $300 shipped for it.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

WRONG, the 351 is a smaller turbo, its a tweaked HX35 with a 9 cm non TS housing. DJ maxed his out on his 2.4 at what, 500 whp?
    Maybe he's saying the 351 is perfectly sized for these 2.2-2.5 because it IS smaller than an hx40. But i get the impression you're thinking about your 6.2L van anyway so what's perfectly sized for a hi-po 2.5 doesnt really matter. But you never did say..

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Maybe he's saying the 351 is perfectly sized for these 2.2-2.5 because it IS smaller than an hx40. But i get the impression you're thinking about your 6.2L van anyway so what's perfectly sized for a hi-po 2.5 doesnt really matter. But you never did say..
    Maybe that's what he meant. The 351 seems like a great match for the 8 valve engines, but as DJ has shown, its maxed out, so what is the next size, HX40, seems like a good turbo for us, 16 valve wise or even 8 valve wise with the proper mods.

Yes, its going on my diesel for testing, then most likely a customer's 6.5 but you never know, down the road, could try it on the van for shitts and giggles, now its not my daily driver per say, after reading some of that Talon thread, it looks very promising as a cheaper alternative to high priced new turbo's.

What I mean is exactly what I posted, HE351 = HX40 (Super) compressor wheel. So Simon, sorry to pop your bubble, but it is You who are Wrong

As I've stated in the past (to many times to want to remember) The HE351 in an in-house Holset hybrid, HX40/HY35.

So just to be perfectly Clear and one more time;

HE351 = Super HX40 compressor wheel mated to 9cm HY35 turbine and hot side.

Simon, you may still be confused over the HE341, which is just an HY35 center section with new style comp housing and turbine housing?

Also, DJ did Not max out the comp side of his turbo, he simply ran out of exhaust flow, or wasn't interested in running super high back pressure + he is now looking to go beyond (from what I understand) 700WHP. So sticking with the HE351 would not be a wise choise. If you could remember what you read, we've been through all of this before
    Last edited by Shadow; 04-16-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Is that to say one could build their own HE351 if they already happened to have an HY35 and then acquired an HX40 comp wheel and cover?

interesting

What I mean is exactly what I posted, HE351 = HX40 (Super) compressor wheel. So Simon, sorry to pop your bubble, but it is You who are Wrong

As I've stated in the past (to many times to want to remember) The HE351 in an in-house Holset hybrid, HX40/HY35.

So just to be perfectly Clear and one more time;

HE351 = Super HX40 compressor wheel mated to 9cm HY35 turbine and hot side.

Simon, you may still be confused over the HE341, which is just an HY35 center section with new style comp housing and turbine housing?

Also, DJ did Not max out the comp side of his turbo, he simply ran out of exhaust flow, or wasn't interested in running super high back pressure + he is now looking to go beyond (from what I understand) 700WHP. So sticking with the HE351 would not be a wise choise. If you could remember what you read, we've been through all of this before
    I miss you man,

HE351 has turbine specs of 65 in and 58 ex, comp is 60 in and 84.5 ex.
    HX40 has turbine specs of 74 in and 68 ex, comp is 58/60 in and 86 ex.

So its slightly larger but as you know, its all adds up. I couldn't find the lb numbers for the 351 but the HX40 is somewhere around 69lbs.

I honestly don't think DJ could have hit 700 whp with that turbo and even he said he turned up the boost and nothing happened. Sure he could change this, mod this, mod that but of course he chose a different route. I am not putting the 351 down but if its such a great turbo, how come its not making big numbers except here?

Edit, we have never discussed an HX40 before or even wheel sizes, and I never said he maxed out the compressor side, but that's splitting hairs,
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 04-19-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Fixed HX40 turbine size

Also, DJ did Not max out the comp side of his turbo
    Yeah, i was wondering where that statement came from.. 500whp is not maxing out an he351 if everything else is there to support it.

Damn, this is like pulling teeth!
    Last edited by Shadow; 04-17-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

Damn, this is like pulling teeth! Simon, I Never said an HE351 IS a HX40
    Sounds like you did, then backpeddled. .

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

Agreed, I give up! lol

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

I thought that was a good post you pulled! But, it's your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeshadowchik View Post
    Sounds like you did, then backpeddled. .
    Oh snap, lol.

Come on Shadow, if no talks about other alternatives then we are like others with their heads in the sand,

It's all good! I just need to remember that I think "differently" about most of this stuff and past posts have proven that my way of thinking does Not translate well on the web. lol

When this happens I've learned (from last fall) that the best way to deal with it is just drop it. It's not worth the circus act that always follows (nothing I can say from that point on can Ever make it better, only worse no matter how hard I try)

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast