Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whos running a bolt pattern swap? 5x114? 4x100? etc?

Re: Whos running a bolt pattern swap? 5x114? 4x100? etc?

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    John Trotter is. Check out his build thread to see how he went to 114 from 100.
    Yeah went to 5x114.3. I have 90'ish Daytona front spindles with the AWD Caravan bolt-in hubs and 99 Intrepid rear spindles and rear disc brakes. Had to machine down the rears to just the spindle, but it was pretty easy overall. The biggest issue I ran into was slotting the spindles to match the bolt pattern to the rear axle and making the brake lines work. But given I did everything in a matter of a couple days, I'd say it was much easier than expected.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

So do the Caravan hubs bolt right into the same year spindles with a 5x100 or do you need to change uprights as well?

Did you cover all this in your build log JT2?

turbo addict

The caravan hubs will bolt right into the 91-up spindles no issues. That's what I have on my car. I do probably need to look for some car uprights, though, because the ones on my car are van ones, and appearantly they have a different location for the tie rod and causes the car to have a MASSIVE turning circle. I don't know for fact because I've not put the van and the car 91-up uprights next to each other to compare them.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    The caravan hubs will bolt right into the 91-up spindles no issues. That's what I have on my car. I do probably need to look for some car uprights, though, because the ones on my car are van ones, and appearantly they have a different location for the tie rod and causes the car to have a MASSIVE turning circle. I don't know for fact because I've not put the van and the car 91-up uprights next to each other to compare them.
    I believe that the hub size is different though so make sure that any 5x114 wheel you use has a large enough hub center. The 5x100s are 57.1mm where the 5x114s are 71.5mm? I haven't measured the 5x114 hubs but somone did mention it to me in an email.

Most aftermarket wheels have a large center but I could see some wheels being smaller than 71.5mm hub centric and wouldn't work.

-Rich

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Yes the caravan center bore is fairly massive. I have some 18x8 RX8 wheels for my 5x114.3-swapped caravan but i have to enlarge the bores before they will bolt on. I think i figured out an 'easy' way to do this involving putting a custom-diameter bearing on the end of a router bit, but it's all theoretical until i get it done. I do know that a 60-grit flapper wheel does jack crap.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

OH! You guys are talking about the center ring where the CV axle nut is? Man, when you say hub, I think of the entire assembly!! Ooppss..

We're talking about the part that centers the wheel. The part that a wheel is 'hub centric' to.

turbo addict

Yes, that's what I was describing...or trying to LOL

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I was talking about the whole hub assembly including the bearing so you were getting what I was putting down. I'm assuming the outer axle spline is still the same too.

Well to flesh out my assumptions i think the hub is the part that the wheel bolts to, that is pressed into the inner race of the wheel bearing, that the axle nut pulls on to preload the bearing.
    The spindle is the part the bearing bolts/presses into that also bolts to the ball joint, tie rod, strut etc.

On the rear setup i still think the hub is the part the wheel bolts to, although it contains the outer races for the bearings. The part the bearings ride on, i might call a spindle too, although im tempted to call it a stub axle.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    I was talking about the whole hub assembly including the bearing so you were getting what I was putting down. I'm assuming the outer axle spline is still the same too.
    It should be. I'm fairly certain that the CV axles for small brake vans vs. large brake vans are the same. I don't know if you knew, but for the 2nd gen vans, the vans with the 11" brakes got the 5x114.3 pattern, and the vans with the 10" brakes got the 5x100 pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Well to flesh out my assumptions i think the hub is the part that the wheel bolts to, that is pressed into the inner race of the wheel bearing, that the axle nut pulls on to preload the bearing.
    The spindle is the part the bearing bolts/presses into that also bolts to the ball joint, tie rod, strut etc.

On the rear setup i still think the hub is the part the wheel bolts to, although it contains the outer races for the bearings. The part the bearings ride on, i might call a spindle too, although im tempted to call it a stub axle.
    OK, here's how it breaks down in most parts store's systems:
    the wheel bearing is obviously just that
    the spindle aka wheel hub is the part that has the wheel studs pressed into it
    the assembly of the wheel bearing and the spindle is called the hub assembly
    the hub assembly bolts in or presses into the upright, sometimes also referred to as the spindle assembly

For the rear:
    the hub is what the wheel studs are pressed into and the outer wheel bearing races are pressed into
    then, of course the inner and outer wheel bearings and seal
    then the spindle aka stub axle

Yeah, it's confusing and a lot of people interchange the terms, and even different companies and parts stores can interchange them. It's all in how you learned to name the parts, or how it's called out in the FSM.

I'm fairly certain that the CV axles for small brake vans vs. large brake vans are the same.
    They definitely are the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12