Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Catalytic Converter Failure

boostaholic

Re: Eastern Catalytic Converter Failure

I wanted to post an update. Today at the auto-x my Omni failed the other Eastern Catalytic converter that I had purchased. This converter appears to have failed the same way as the previous one. This car was also mostly stock, with the exception of a GLHS stage 2 type cal.

I can not recommend this brand. This converter had about 1,000 break in miles, but still failed. I know this converter is now 3 years old, but this car gets driven less than 1,000 miles a year! I guess if you're going to auto-x, or drive to work, this converter is not compatible with these types of driving activities.

Hybrid booster

What is a cat? Is that something you need in your exhaust? And for that matter, what the hell is a muffler?!

boostaholic

Neither of my turbo dodges have cats now, and both have a single straight through muffler. A $25 glass pack replaced the converter this afternoon. I tried to keep a converter, but that obviously didn't work out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowv4l View Post
    What is a cat? Is that something you need in your exhaust? And for that matter, what the hell is a muffler?!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Most aftermarket converters, even the direct replacement ones are 1/3-1/2 size smaller than the originals for one reason and eastern more or less admits on their website that they don't have to follow the original emissions requirements so they go as cheap as possible and make them nowhere nearly as well as the originals. The walker unit on the Shadow I installed not quite 5 years ago along with the rest of the exhaust.. That was a huge mistake. Its all rotten and falling apart, rattles ect. Tomorrow I'm stopping at advance to see how much of a bunch of butt heads there going to be about honoring the warranty on everything.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'm so glad that I haven't had a problem with a cat in close to 15 years now.

turbo addict

Never had any problem with any of the 3 inch mangaflow cat.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Never had any problem with any of the 3 inch mangaflow cat.
    Your Magnaflow cat probably wasn't $37 and meant for a daily driver.

I think the Eastern cat is failing because it's being put in an environment it wasn't intended. If you're racing your car your in boost. If you're in boost and it's properly tuned you're running 11:1 air/fuel ratio. Your average naturally aspirated car will never see 11:1 and if that's what your cat was built for then it's going to fail prematurely. I also run Magnaflows and don't have a problem with them.

I replaced one out of two Eastern cats on a customer's Toyota Sequoia today that I installed just over three years ago (May 2011) because his were stolen. His spark plugs were worn over half the spec (spec .031" measured .065"), his air filter was filthy and the fuel that came out of his fuel filter looked like mud. I'm not blaming the cat for failing in that kind of environment.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Your average naturally aspirated car will never see 11:1 and if that's what your cat was built for then it's going to fail prematurely.
    my stock 97 sohc neon is in the 11:1 range at wot unfortunately. and its completely stock and in great mechanical shape.... I have a wideband on it just to see whats up and to mess around lol.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    my stock 97 sohc neon is in the 11:1 range at wot unfortunately. and its completely stock and in great mechanical shape.... I have a wideband on it just to see whats up and to mess around lol.

Brian
    Is it a stock cat or aftermarket? If aftermarket what brand?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jckrieger View Post
    . The baffles in the truck's muffler have come apart and are rattling like crazy we well.
    That has been an ongoing problem in the manufacturing process. Quite simply, you've got half a dozen or so workers per shift running the assembly line, and the job gets so monotonous that when the machinery gets out of adjustment, they either don't notice or don't care. Our contract with Chrysler has been very strained with all the returned parts coming back.

BTW, you didn't hear that from me.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Walker super cats take the abuse and the newer Cal cats are even better but OE stainless mesh type are the best, IE Mazda's, some Mitsubishi and aftermarket stainless mesh if you must run a cat.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

These failures weren't due to improper A/F ratio or race use. The converter that failed on my R/T saw only nice easy highway driving to and from work. They say they need to break in, but there's nothing to break in. It's just 2 bricks in a dimpled shell. I should cut apart my warranty replaced converter just to show how they're constructed.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Never heard of having to break in a converter?

In cat cases, you get what you pay for.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

These failures weren't due to improper A/F ratio or race use. The converter that failed on my R/T saw only nice easy highway driving to and from work. They say they need to break in, but there's nothing to break in. It's just 2 bricks in a dimpled shell. I should cut apart my warranty replaced converter just to show how they're constructed.
    You just posted this:

I wanted to post an update. Today at the auto-x my Omni failed the other Eastern Catalytic converter that I had purchased. This converter appears to have failed the same way as the previous one. This car was also mostly stock, with the exception of a GLHS stage 2 type cal.

I can not recommend this brand. This converter had about 1,000 break in miles, but still failed. I know this converter is now 3 years old, but this car gets driven less than 1,000 miles a year! I guess if you're going to auto-x, or drive to work, this converter is not compatible with these types of driving activities.
    Your thread is confusing to follow.

boostaholic

This thread is confusing because I had 2 failures on 2 different cars. The R/T just commutes to and from work. The GLHS is used for auto-x, but also sees highway miles. Both cars had factory catalytic converters before these Eastern converters were installed. The only reason the aftermarket converters were installed is because I needed something that was 2.5" in and out.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

No doubt the inexpensive aftermarket cats aren't as bullet proof, or long lasting, the spec they are using isn't going to be as rigorous, they don't need to be sure they'll last 100k miles and keep both the EPA and their clients happy (GM,FORD, MOPAR, etc).

If these guys are OEM suppliers, one would think they'd have the experience to know how NOT to build them and provide a durable, though maybe shorter lived version of the original piece, but maybe that's me applying logic somewhere it is a stranger? ...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Is it a stock cat or aftermarket? If aftermarket what brand?
    stock. 196k miles on it.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Stock cats are WAY better than aftermarket. That's why factory cats cost $1000 and aftermarket ones are $100. Same reason you get $200 for a stock cat from a recycler and only $15 for an aftermarket.

turbo addict

Stock cats are WAY better than aftermarket. That's why factory cats cost $1000 and aftermarket ones are $100. Same reason you get $200 for a stock cat from a recycler and only $15 for an aftermarket.
    I completely agree AJ. The last few used OEM converters I've brought in, they only gave me $45 each. I'm appearently getting ripped by my recycler!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

At least you get something for them. MD you might as well toss them in the trash.
    [State junk licensee] JUNK DEALER OR SCRAP METALPROCESSOR may not purchase a catalytic converter from an individual unless theindividual, at the time of purchase, provides identification as: processor; or

1. (i) a licensed automotive dismantler and recycler or scrap metal
    2. (ii) an agent or employee of a licensed commercial enterprise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast