Thread: My New 10 Second Ride...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

My New 10 Second Ride...

...And it does it with just 140 HP

When the Ex-Wifey informed me she was pregnant almost 15 years ago, I decided to do the responsible 'Dad thing' and sell off my bikes and take a break from riding I sold my CBR 900RR, a handful of old GPZ Kawasaki's of various displacement and most of my riding related stuff. I did keep my Dianese Leathers (gonna be interesting to see if they still fit 15years later) and a helmet or two. So since my two kids are teen/preteen now and there is a substantial amount of life insurance payable in case I kick it early now seems like a good time to get back into riding. I'm too old for the crotch rocket scene anymore but still want to carve up some twisty roads and have a bike that will carry me and a passenger to Vegas or some other 4 hour ride destination. So that means a 2up sport tour with a comfy seat, hard luggage and good power. There are maybe a half dozen bikes in this segment so I started test riding, researching and narrowing the field. The big BMW's 1200RS's are nice, but too heavy. They have a mid size 800cc model but it's only 90 HP and too sport oriented. Honda has been kinda stagnant in this segment since they owned it with the VFR's a dozen or so years ago. Hmmm, Ducati, have never owned one but ridden my Bro's a bunch... Not to mention they completely reworked thier MultiStrada 1200cc S model in 2010 and has all the requirements. Test drove one at the dealer last week, pretty easy to do actually. Just showed up with a helmet(even an ancient one was fine), proof of insurance, and a motorcycle driver's licence. I was sold about 5 miles into the 20 minute ride. Nimble, lightweight, stable, snaps the front wheel up in 3rd with a handful of throttle and a little tug So I was able to find a 'used' 2012 MultiStrada with just about 2k miles that some attorney in Palm Springs was decorating his garage with but not riding. Struck a really good deal that included some extras like a couple summer riding jackets, a $900. "Top Case" locking luggage option, a rollaround stand that nestles under the center stand, and a really cool custom made 4'X8' Ducati garage wall banner

Let me say that bikes have come a loooong way since I last rode The Digital display that has everything from engine coolant temp, outside air temp, multi position adjustable suspension damping and load carrying. You can even change the power levels and throttle response/delivary. It's all drive by wire with multiple suspention potentiometers that tell the onboard ECU how best to adjust travel, traction control, ABS-everything Gotta work my way thru the 3/4" thick owners manual just to figure out all the features Im about 250 miles into ownership and looking forwad to logging some seat time on it. It's just 8itchen!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Multistrada Side.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	500.7 KB 
ID:	44709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Multistrada Front.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	481.8 KB 
ID:	44710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Multistrada Rear.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	474.9 KB 
ID:	44711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Multistrada Cluster.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	498.4 KB 
ID:	44712  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster
    Very sweet ride congrats on getting back into the riding game. I figure I am about 10 years away from getting my next bike if I take the same plan as you did.
    KO, 86 T&C Turbo II 89 Daytona Shelby 84 Stingray SVB165SS

Hybrid booster

Re: My New 10 Second Ride...

Good on you Alan. I rode out there 'bout the time Marlin Brando filmed the Wild One. We'll haveta swap stories some day. Are Bikers still trying to wear out the hills there on Beach blvd. in the LaMerada area? Keep your leathers handy Pal. Yeah I miss it but the kneez are gone!

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff
    Nice ride. The digital dash is nice looking. Haven't been on a Ducati yet, but understand they are good bikes.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Nice, Ducati has come along way. Would love to get into riding bikes on the street again, still have my 93 900RR, lol. Insurance is what's stopping me, How much is it for you? I am looking at $1500 a year plus my van and Jimmy are $1000 each, sigh, that's with no collision on the cars.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Very nice! Be careful out there.

On another note, there is just something amusing about looking at a brand new Ducati with a 24 year old woody mini van in the same driveway!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Very nice! Be careful out there.

On another note, there is just something amusing about looking at a brand new Ducati with a 24 year old woody mini van in the same driveway!
    Yeah, parking is a little tight at the house. I've been leaving it right there at the front of the drive in the daytime but at night I have to coat the sides with grease and sneek it between the S and yellow Masi in the garage So tight I can only use the centerstand and then gotta do a contortionist move to around it

Simon, at our age insurance goes waaay down It's $620/yr with *really* good coverage. When it gets stolen, I want to get another one

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post

Simon, at our age insurance goes waaay down It's $620/yr with *really* good coverage. When it gets stolen, I want to get another one
    Another duck or 900RR?

Nice, around here, age doesn't matter, its how many accidents you have.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Congrats Alan; great choice, bitchin bike.

Wish I'd checked in Saturday and seen your post, would have invited you along - we went up to Newcomb's Ranch on the 2 Sunday afternoon. Overcast and dreery down at the 210 but at about 2000ft we climbed above the clounds and enjoyed a beautiful bluebird sky day, no LEOs, clean roads, good company too.

Got surprised by a "friend" on his DRZ400 on Upper Big Tujunga "9 mile," going downhill, sheesh.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Another duck or 900RR?

Nice, around here, age doesn't matter, its how many accidents you have.
    Stop running into things.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

My brother has two Harley's, his son rides a Ducati.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com