Thread: Running lean while cold

Garrett booster

Running lean while cold

Hey all. I ended up with Mario03SRT's old daytona. It's currently running stage 5, with all the associated mods to support it, and then some lol. When it runs right, it's a monster. Just getting it to run right's the issue. I've been having numerous issues with it, mostly from the 2 horribly problematic shelgame cals that came with it (one hit overboost at 5psi, and the other had a different catastrophic problem every drive. I just put a new FWD-P chip in it, and it fixed pretty much all the problems at first, but now one of them's resurfaced.

When I first start the car, it runs kinda lean (14-15:1 AF) and stumbles when I apply throttle, with the AF spiking to 17-19:1 before quickly returning to 14:1. After approx 15-20 minutes and the car reaches temperature, the fuel mixture richens up to a healthy 11-12:1, and all of the car's hesitation and stumbling problems go away. I'm not getting any codes besides code 51, which tells me what i already know (it's too lean.) Timing's correct, Fuel pressure's correct, and problem doesn't go away with raising or lowering the rail pressure. I'm pulling strong 19-20 in hg of vacuum. When I first put the FWD-P cal in, it was fine but it's been having this problem with increasing frequency, with it taking longer and longer before it richens up. Now it's every start, and it takes a half hour. After the car heats up, It drives fine essentially forever, but will go lean for a second or two before returning to 12:1 every once in a while.

Initial thoughts were the coolant temp sensor given the effects of engine temp on drivability, but I replaced it and no change. I backprobed connectors to the Map, CTS, TPS, and found all of the sensors are getting about 5v (at least as best i can tell on my shitty analog volt meter.) Seeing as the numerous problems I've had with different chips, could my computer itself be to blame? I'm running out of ideas.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Running lean while cold

Outside of the cold drivability issues, it should not take 20 minutes to warm up.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

The temp gauge starts moving at a normal time (5-10min) but it's well after reaching warm that the car snaps out of it and starts running better. The CTS sensor and the turbo coolant feed lines were installed wrong with the sensor in the top port. Perhaps that could have something to do with it.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itsbudda View Post
    The temp gauge starts moving at a normal time (5-10min) but it's well after reaching warm that the car snaps out of it and starts running better. The CTS sensor and the turbo coolant feed lines were installed wrong with the sensor in the top port. Perhaps that could have something to do with it.
    Perhaps, if the cooling system has air in it.. Possibly. Have you put a scanner on it to see what the cts is reading and when it enters closed loop?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

My car has the coolant feed and CTS positions swapped with no ill effects.

Garrett booster

I don't own anything besides a very basic tool kit and analog volt meter, nor have any money to invest in a scanner. i've only been through the basics, fuel, vac, and timing.