Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: 3.8L Dodge Dynasty

3.8 came out in '89 IIRC.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

From what i know the 3.3 came out in 90 and the 3.8 came out in 91.

So i got this computer and put it in... No appreciable change. The car is still way down on power vs every other 3.8 ive ever driven except an imperial because those got crazy tall gears. I think im going to take this thing back for store credit and pick up a couple interior pieces for my neon (theres a rusty northern car in the yard right now that doesnt have cracked up dash pieces!). I'll just have to wait for my wideband and FIC to really get this thing where it's supposed to be. I just changed to a local credit union so im waiting for my new debit card to show up so i can order more stuff.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

You were trying to run it on 3.3 electronics, right? I wonder if it was lean, or the ignition timing was mucked up for a 3.8. That probably is different, just like the 2.2 vs. 2.5 timing and fuel.

Yeah, i decided not to swap in the later 93 harness and 94 3.8 computer because the later stuff didnt have a factory knock sensor and i figured that was much more important in the long run.

So yes, up til now the car has been running on the 90 3.3 electronics and its very obviously down on power. I just tried a 91 3.8 sbec which didnt seem to fix it, so either there are other issues going on, or the computer i put in is not a 3.8 computer at all (it was some kind of chrysler reman sitting in a 91 3.8 imperial). Right now i dont have any monitoring hooked up so all i have to go on is the butt dyno and all its telling me is the car was down on power before, and its still down on power now. So, im going to trade this new computer back in for store credit and get some other items while i wait for my wideband to show up and FIC to be installed.

I need to scan the car and make sure everything in data stream looks good. I have two scanners that will hook to this car, but i havent done it yet out of laziness and prioritizing other things like stripping down an 85 CRX parts car in my yard so it can go away.

turbo addict

Wasn't there a change to sequential fuel injection in '91? If so, there are 2 problems. 1 is that there won't be enough wires to run the injectors individually because the harness is for batch fire. 2 when that change happened they went to a different impedance injector IIRC.

Might be worth looking into if I'm remembering it kinda right.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

90-91 are SBEC 1 and are batch fire, 92-up are SBEC 2 and have sequential injection.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Yep, and since 3.8 started in 91 only i figured it was a long shot to even be looking for a factory 3.8 computer for my harness, but when i spotted one i figured i might as well try it for $35.. but no joy.

That thing looks sick with the drop!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    90-91 are SBEC 1 and are batch fire, 92-up are SBEC 2 and have sequential injection.
    Thanks for the refresher! I knew I was close, just wasn't 100%. I appreciate it!

My wideband is officially on order.

Also, here is a random pic of the turbo to keep things interesting. Ive probably been sitting on this thing for 3 years waiting for this project to get rolling. It looked a lot shinier when i bought it!

turbo addict

Looks a little small. I'll PM you my mailing address so you can send it to me so you can have more room to find a better one!

The turbo you end up with for your daytona might be bigger on the compressor side than this one is..

turbo addict

LOL, yeah, I was just giving you crap! I think that'll work pretty well for you, actually!

Paid for my Zeitronix wideband several days ago and havent received anything in my email from them.. just got a receipt from paypal but no shipping info or direct contact so far. Shrug.

My fiancee took the Dynasty somewhere today since i had the Magnum apart for ac work and polishing the headlights. When she came back i asked her how she liked it and she said she liked how much faster it felt than the magnum (2.7), but didnt like how the tires would rub if you turned the wheel all the way or hit a bump while taking a sharp turn. I told her she was living the 'low life'. I myself am a 'low life' kinda guy but she's not getting into it, which is too bad because im about to slam the everloving crap out of our 82 Lebaron as well. bwahahaha

Got the Zeitronix today.. Now i have to put my exhaust back together. It'll be 2.5" downpipe into 3" cat, 3" mandrel out the back to a 3" dynomax. Same as the old car except for a slightly bigger downpipe and hopefully a much better rear muffler hanger..

turbo addict

I'd like to hear how it sounds! I've never heard a street 3.3/3.8 opened up. I have a feeling it might actually sound pretty good.

I never thought my last car had a particularly good sound but ill get a clip when it's together. What i DID like about it was it was very quiet in the car most of the time and had almost no drone.

turbo addict

That might have to do with the muffler. A good muffler will make a world of difference in the sound.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Did you return the ECU? I would have saved it until you could test the AFR and run the scanners back to back with 3.3 vs supposed 3.8 computers.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

I returned it because it was making my alternator act up and giving me a CEL that my other computer didnt give. I never checked the code since i decided i wasnt going to use it based on my alt not working properly with it so i was never going to try and fix that CEL anyway.

Thinking back on it i maybe should have saved it in case the factory knock detection tables were more accurate for the 3.8 since it has a different bore size. I didnt think about that until after i returned it.

Right now i have the interior taken apart to run stereo wiring. Power and remote on the left, 2 sets of RCAs on the right. Also had to do a fair amount of grinding in the dashboard to fit some 4" infinity references i have in the 3.5" holes. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone else, but once the grilles are on it's invisible anyway. Im waiting on a power distribution block from amazon to get here so i can actually hook up the 4ch amp.

Im planning to tow my van to the track next weds with it so i need to finish up the interior part of it at least by then and wire in my trailer lighting connector.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast