Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Neon thread!

turbo addict

Re: The Neon thread!

I have a 96 coffee machine. Sohc auto. 4 door. I think the wiring harness is toast so I have to pull it out and go through it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Garrett booster

Not mine, only wish it had been. Spotted this ultra clean ACR on our way through Idaho last year. No one else understood why I was excited over a pale blue sedan...

turbo addict

I blew my red turbo coupe up friday . Its sprouted a massive oil leak and I didnt catch it and starved the motor. Also didnt help that one of the PO's REMOVED the oil pressure sending unit. Idiots. I had no idea I didnt have any form of oil pressure monitoring! But a few months ago I picked up a used built bottom end. JE pistons and eagle rods, I think they are the 8.5:1's. So thats going in soon and I am going to upgrade from my 16g to a 20g. Even staying with the Begi RRR, I should be able to get it into the mid 12's on 12-15psi . I have a MS setup for it but am still on the fence on installing it. I am afraid its going to bump my DD to PITA race car status and I dont want that to happen.

Also adding a oil pressure gauge!

boostaholic

Very tempting.Its been forsale for awhile.I was going to buy a 99 r/t sedan late summer off a friend but his wife drove there other neon into a flooded street.So he backed out of selling it.By the time he wanted to sell it I had the van.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4355003976.html

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    I blew my red turbo coupe up friday . Its sprouted a massive oil leak and I didnt catch it and starved the motor. Also didnt help that one of the PO's REMOVED the oil pressure sending unit. Idiots. I had no idea I didnt have any form of oil pressure monitoring! But a few months ago I picked up a used built bottom end. JE pistons and eagle rods, I think they are the 8.5:1's. So thats going in soon and I am going to upgrade from my 16g to a 20g. Even staying with the Begi RRR, I should be able to get it into the mid 12's on 12-15psi . I have a MS setup for it but am still on the fence on installing it. I am afraid its going to bump my DD to PITA race car status and I dont want that to happen.

Also adding a oil pressure gauge!

Get rid of the BEGI and install the MS or get a portfueler.There was a guy on neons.org that had 2 portfuelers pretty cheap.They work very well.Did the idiots not use the T that hahn included in the kits to use the oil pressure sensor and feed the turbo oil?

boostaholic

Here are some pics of mine over the years
    The 98 Style i paid $250 for,the last neon I owned.I hated this car for some reason.

My 98r/t I bought new April 2nd 1998.Put 130k on it in 3 years.Bracket raced it just about every weekend.It was a great car.Should have kept it.pics of it have been used in article of mopar now and some ads.

The 97 ACR.Found it on autotrader in Va at a dealer.They had no idea what it was.Had 36,000 miles on it,still had the koni's,The Sperm Graphics and alot of dings.Picked it up for $3600 in 01.Original radio delete car but had a/c and rear defrost.Base interior.Had alot of fun with it.Mopar Now took some pics and wrote a article but never ran it for some reason.

The 2nd time i owned the ACR

Bad Mother Flecker Turbo Mopar Staff fleckster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    To get in the 14's you dont really have to do that much work.My first R/T(loaded) went 14.7's on D/R's with AFX ECU(Race Version),Iceman,paceshitter header,AFX UDP,thermal muffler,rest of exhaust stock.It was deadly consistent and reliable.

My 97 ACR went 13.69@98 with a DCR built motor before it chucked a rod(not DCR's fault,long story) It was built 12.5-1 Je's stock rods(why it chucked one)AFX ECU,Iceman air intake,Bored stock Tb,DCR ported Intake,Crane 16's,stock injectors,walbro pump,DCR ported head afx udp,AFX long tube header and a few other tidbits. After it chucked the rod Iused a junkyard 2.0 DOHC of unknown origin.Used the Ported intake and TB,a paceshitter header,Iceman,and AFX ECU.Had also installed a set of coil overs and used same slicks from the DCR setup.Best it went was 14.23@91 Its not rocket science to make one run 14's.Do not use the Indy Intake,Its a big waste of money.Get a AFX Race ECU,itll go great with the other mods you have planned.
    So you've talked me out of the Indy intake. What sized Thermal exhaust did you run? I can do the header and stuff after I have the head on since it doesn't require pulling the head like a 2.2/2.5L Turbo car. With the TTi being 2.5" and the Thermal being offered in 2.25" and 2.5" size, I don't know if I should redo it all or stay with the stock 2.25". With the AFX race ECU, I'm guessing you ditched the Cat. I wouldn't mind doing that but the Mopar Computer with turn on the MIL. I have a contact that says he can do a custom cal for my Neon with all the Mods but I'm not sure when and if that will happen. Any other mods or changes you might recommend for me? I seriously welcome your input. While I have owned this car since new, I haven't worked on it much and know more about the turbo cars than the 2.0L and making power without boost.

John M. Fleck

'83 Dodge Rampage 2.2 w/ 2.5L Turbo 14.79@94
    '87 Shelby Lancer #213 14.99@94
    '89 Chrysler LeBaron GT Turbo 'vert 15.88@92
    '92 Dodge Spirit R/T 13.50@104 ; 13.34@102 on slicks
    '98 Dodge Neon R/T 15.66@89
    '03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Craig and the Sebrings are among the only sources I trust for Neon info.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

I understand, Mike! Neons have seemed to dropped off the face of the Earth as far as enthusiasts go. Hardly anyone is playing with them anymore. They seem to be as forgotten as the 2.2/2.5L cars. I'm finding that any info on performance upgrades is at least 5-10 years old. THe only Neons that anyone cares about are SRT-4s. Everyone that is playing with them is doing SRT swaps or turbo kits usually with 2.4L Cloud Car swaps. I am seeing nothing on NA 2.0L builds.

John M. Fleck

'03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

More and more I kinda wish I had a 1st gen SOHC MTX as a daily commuter. I was even contemplating putting such a drivetrain in my Rampage, because I would really have to get rid of one of the vehicles to justify it.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by fleckster View Post
    So you've talked me out of the Indy intake. What sized Thermal exhaust did you run? I can do the header and stuff after I have the head on since it doesn't require pulling the head like a 2.2/2.5L Turbo car. With the TTi being 2.5" and the Thermal being offered in 2.25" and 2.5" size, I don't know if I should redo it all or stay with the stock 2.25". With the AFX race ECU, I'm guessing you ditched the Cat. I wouldn't mind doing that but the Mopar Computer with turn on the MIL. I have a contact that says he can do a custom cal for my Neon with all the Mods but I'm not sure when and if that will happen. Any other mods or changes you might recommend for me? I seriously welcome your input. While I have owned this car since new, I haven't worked on it much and know more about the turbo cars than the 2.0L and making power without boost.
    I only had a thermal on the first R/T .It was the stock 2.25 size.I had Cat with both the ACR and R/T with the AFX Race.The AFX race suposedly wont turn the Mil on for no cat.I never tested this.With the DCR motor I had a 3 bolt flange welded into the Stock exhaust so I could drop it at the track.With the 2nd JY motor in the ACR it was completely stock on the exhaust other than the pacesetter header.For what you have planned the stock exhaust will suffice.What i recomend is AFX solid FMM and AFX bobble(or equivelent solid) if you can stand the vibration and inserts or Deyemme filled side mounts.Iceman air intake if you dont alreadyhave one or can find one.Mopar comp is fine just not as good as AFX Race ECU.So work with what you have for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Craig and the Sebrings are among the only sources I trust for Neon info.
    Thanks Mike!

boostaholic

I understand, Mike! Neons have seemed to dropped off the face of the Earth as far as enthusiasts go. Hardly anyone is playing with them anymore. They seem to be as forgotten as the 2.2/2.5L cars. I'm finding that any info on performance upgrades is at least 5-10 years old. THe only Neons that anyone cares about are SRT-4s. Everyone that is playing with them is doing SRT swaps or turbo kits usually with 2.4L Cloud Car swaps. I am seeing nothing on NA 2.0L builds.
    Unfortunately thats the way it seems to be.I so badly want to build another one but I know if I bring a R/T or ACR home the wife will know something is up.I never did a 2.4 swap,if your building a all out drag car its the way to go but the 2.0 DOHC is just fine for a quick street car.I quit giving advice on neons.org cause noone wants to listen.Kids try to make everything really complicated.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

More and more I kinda wish I had a 1st gen SOHC MTX as a daily commuter. I was even contemplating putting such a drivetrain in my Rampage, because I would really have to get rid of one of the vehicles to justify it.
    Well, i've owned and DD'd two sohc/mtx neons on separate occasions and while i still have a positive opinion of them, i'm also on my 2nd sohc/mtx Stratus and consider it a much nicer car in most ways. Given the 3.92 trans in the stratus vs the 3.55 in the neon, they're not very far apart in acceleration, and the stratus interior is about 200% less likely to fall apart (mostly the dash) and has framed windows and a MUCH larger back seat (if you care). I think the biggest downside of the Stratus is the relative dearth of 'easy' suspension options and the fact that it's harder to find a 5spd stratus in the first place.

I would definitely take a 1g 5spd stratus any day of the week over a sohc/5spd 2g neon.....

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

I do prefer framed windows as well.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Well, i've owned and DD'd two sohc/mtx neons on separate occasions and while i still have a positive opinion of them, i'm also on my 2nd sohc/mtx Stratus and consider it a much nicer car in most ways. Given the 3.92 trans in the stratus vs the 3.55 in the neon, they're not very far apart in acceleration, and the stratus interior is about 200% less likely to fall apart (mostly the dash) and has framed windows and a MUCH larger back seat (if you care). I think the biggest downside of the Stratus is the relative dearth of 'easy' suspension options and the fact that it's harder to find a 5spd stratus in the first place.

I would definitely take a 1g 5spd stratus any day of the week over a sohc/5spd 2g neon.....
    So what your are saying is that for Sgt. Craig, it might be easier to sneek a 5 speed 1g Stratus past the wife and make a fun car out of it than dragging home a Neon which she would suspect. I like the way you think! I have driven one 5 speed 1g Stratus. It was fun enough and handled well for a mid-sizer.

I'd never had any issues with the frame-less windows or dash coming apart in my Neon. Of course, I've owned it since new, it never sees the winter and only has the 57000 miles...Also since mine is an R/T, it has the quicker 3.94 diff trans.

John M. Fleck

'03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

turbo addict

Hey Flexster...too bad you don't have a 94-95...Boost Button makes custom computers for them. After I sell a house in Kokomo I will get my body work done on the Cheap Skate and then get a cam and Pacesetter header swapped on...then get the Boost Button stuff...switch from the cheapest gas I can find to 91-93 octane then too. With the few mods I have now premium unleaded made no difference in the 1/4 at all after a couple of months of trying, and made the car more inconsistent.

Another guy that knows Neons well (especially SRT4s) is Kris Krieg....works at Buttons now (as do a few of the former Kokomo Chrysler wrenches - thank God)...and lives in Greentown. He does the work at his Dads house...even has a lift...but VERY swamped!
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Yes, I know Chris and have talked to him many times. We have very good mutual friends. I know he's busy and definitely know SRT-4s. I plan on doing all the work myself now that I have a pole barn to work out of.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131029_204800412_HDR[1].jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	515.9 KB 
ID:	49150
    I'm still trying to get it set up the way I want with more lighting, paint, seal the floor, better weatherproof the sliding doors, etc. but it is heated and even has A/C!

John M. Fleck

'03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

boostaholic

So what your are saying is that for Sgt. Craig, it might be easier to sneek a 5 speed 1g Stratus past the wife and make a fun car out of it than dragging home a Neon which she would suspect. I like the way you think! I have driven one 5 speed 1g Stratus. It was fun enough and handled well for a mid-sizer.

I'd never had any issues with the frame-less windows or dash coming apart in my Neon. Of course, I've owned it since new, it never sees the winter and only has the 57000 miles...Also since mine is an R/T, it has the quicker 3.94 diff trans.

If I buy another 5spd 4dr itll be either a R/T sedan or another subbie outback.5spd stratus are getting hard to find.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Yeah, the interior going to crap is definitely more of an issue in the south. I got a pristine dash piece for my current neon from the junkyard. It was the only TOTALLY uncracked one i've ever seen.. and it came off a car that was rusted to pieces! The ideal old car has a northern interior and a southern body!

I have a boost button pcm in my 95 neon but it has an unfinished header install so i havent driven on it yet.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Here is my Neon that I just got back up and running. Had to rebuild the harness in it. 96 sohc atx. I like this thing shockingly. No rust in it. Has been up in the salt belt for a few years now but still is clean. Paint is trash on it though. Oh well win some lose some.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1394639245790.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	49296  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast