Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: The Neon thread!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: The Neon thread!

Is there a good way to set the timing on the SOHC cars without the covers? I'm fairly certain that I have the timing right, but I would like to verify it before bolting everything back together. I think the most I could be off is a tooth right now.

I'm surprised that the PS pumps are so expensive online. Ours is making a lot of noise and it needs to be replaced. Is the JY the way to go with these? I don't really want to pay $140 for a pump, or $100 for one without a reservoir. It seems like they should be much less money, but I know I'm spoiled by the cheap parts for TMs that I'm used to buying.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I'm surprised that the PS pumps are so expensive online. Ours is making a lot of noise and it needs to be replaced. Is the JY the way to go with these? I don't really want to pay $140 for a pump, or $100 for one without a reservoir. It seems like they should be much less money, but I know I'm spoiled by the cheap parts for TMs that I'm used to buying.
    Does it only make noise when it's really cold? My 98 R/T did that since new.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

It's worse when cold, but it makes noise a lot. The fluid was in really rough shape recently too. I think it's headed south and would like to get it done before there's a huge problem with it.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i find it odd that it would be dying.

my wifes 98 pump made it 250k without issue and she ran it dry for 23 miles once.

my 97 made it around the same without issue.

is there a filter in the reservoir or anything that can clog up like on the 01-07 vans? those pumps were noisy as hell when the screen in the reservoir gets clogged.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

That's interesting. I'm not sure that there is a filter. Mine has 275K plus on it now. The fluid in it was super nasty recently and the reservoir was low. I flushed it and the sound comes and goes, but is definitely worse when it is cold out. It's a pretty loud squeal really. The pump can get relatively hot too. I just think it's on its way out.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567