Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: The Neon thread!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: The Neon thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Mike, I was hoping to get your feedback on the way you think the Neon ABS was working. Do you think it was pulsing ALL of the channels when it sensed that inside rear lock-up?
    From the way it behaved, I would find it hard to believe that the system only pulsed one caliper.

Check out this old post on SRT forums.

https://www.srtforums.com/threads/ab...ossing.193623/

And this.

https://www.srtforums.com/threads/ne...-4-acr.378324/
    Last edited by contraption22; 07-16-2020 at 02:57 PM.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Grab those parts. Your intake manifold will work, although the R/T has a much better active intake which CAN be adapted with an RPM actuated switch. The SOHC R/T "magnum" cylinder head is a significant upgrade over your 1995 head. Get the exhaust manifold too. or use a header with the install. The factory power numbers are 150 for the Magnum and 132 for the standard SOHC, but the powerband is extended extends higher into the revs with the Magnum, without giving up bottom.

Get those parts!

I would say grab the whole engine but the bottom end won't work with your 1995 electronics.
    Thanks Mike. I'm almost wondering if I should just do a 2nd gen intake swap, although I wonder what the gains are like from a cone filter on a 1st gen neon?

https://blog.modernperformance.com/s...csdyno-results

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Thanks Mike. I'm almost wondering if I should just do a 2nd gen intake swap, although I wonder what the gains are like from a cone filter on a 1st gen neon?

https://blog.modernperformance.com/s...csdyno-results
    Search for the "3.0 intake mod"

Also check this out.

https://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=19172
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Mike, thanks. Yup, that answers my question. Interestingly they are describing EXACTLY what my truck does and has caused me to rear end 2 people over the years! I try to describe it and everyone is like "no, that's impossible". I F'n HATE it!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Mike, thanks. Yup, that answers my question. Interestingly they are describing EXACTLY what my truck does and has caused me to rear end 2 people over the years! I try to describe it and everyone is like "no, that's impossible". I F'n HATE it!
    just pull the fuse/wiring so its disabled.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

This thing is driving me crazy. I replaced the fuel filter and I did pick up a little bit of power with the change, as I assume the car can get all the fuel it wants now. However, I noticed that the fuel feed line to the engine is leaking a tiny bit where it is rotted the worst. Since these use the quick-connect fittings, how do you guys replace the sections of hard line? Just use 5/16ths(I presume that's the size?) hard line and convert the fuel filter to a rubber line? I looked at the old filter and it seems like a 5/16 hose would fit a little loose on the barb.

Any ideas?

OK, I guess I could so something like this?

https://smile.amazon.com/Aluminum-Di...QBHW8FPM172H8E

https://cppdiesel.com/earls-at165156...SABEgKlSPD_BwE

Those would get me to the fuel filter, and from there I could go up to the front of the car with some copper nickel hard line I guess.

Today I pulled off the TB to confirm that it's the larger ATX unit in the car. I also confirmed that the cam timing is correct. A 3.0 CAI is next on the list. If this doesn't do it, then I guess I'll just live with the slow nature of these things. It's pretty bad when our Minivan is so much faster than a little Neon.

Check the local auto parts store for quick-disconnect fuel line repair kits. You'll probably find all the parts you need.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Check the local auto parts store for quick-disconnect fuel line repair kits. You'll probably find all the parts you need.
    Thanks. I'll check there when I pick up the fuel line. I have the AN stuff coming anyway, so this will be a good fail safe. I would like to have this thing finished off sooner rather than later. If I can get a CAI on there to make a little power, all the better. It needs something anyway.

I've been driving the Neon quite a bit over the last few months. I've gotten used to the lack of power, and I've enjoyed the braking and handling with the rotors and pads I have on the car coupled with the wheels and tires.

I had to replace the O2 sensor recently, and I left this bit off. I assume it's for NVH and not necessary for any other function? The only down side I can see is that there's a very small hole at the bottom of the air box letting air in from off the exhaust manifold. I assume that's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. Any input on if this was a good idea or not?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1709.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	65197

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Shoot. I'll have to do some research. I thought you could bolt on the intake and pick up a few HP with it in whatever the default position is. This thing needs something.
    Sorry I haven't seen this thread yet! I've had a bunch of neons. To start with, if you swap to a 2gn manifold or RT manifold, you'll also need a 2000 throttle body. You can use a 01-05 throttle body, but the IAC wont work. To make the butterflies function, you can use an RPM switch and have it set to 5000 RPM's. My current daily is a 97 with dohc pistons and a magnum top end, and it's night and day how it feels with the butterflies opened. I don't have an RPM switch on mine just yet though. If you feel up to it, a 01 magnum cam makes a pretty good upgrade, but the 95 cam is kind of a "hot cam" anyway. Here's a dyno comparison if you want to check out the differences with the butterflies, I believe this is with a long tube, magnum head and cam, magnum intake, and mopar DOHC ecu.

The best mod for a sohc neon is easily a tuned ecu. Either a mopar, a boost button cal/flash unit, or a custom tune from Tim Coakely on the neon facebook groups. Modern performance also offers the tuning service, but it's $250, plus return shipping. The 3.94 trans makes a big help, but it does suck on the highway.

Thanks for all that info. I will have a lot to look at when the weather gets warmer.

Well, I had to work on my 05 Neon over the last couple of weeks. I got it fired up for winter beater duty only to have the TB sticking open. That was interesting on the test drive, but I made it home and freed it up with some Kroil. Joy attempted to take it on a relatively short trip only to have it lose power. It didn't take long to determine that it was losing trans fluid rapidly. A tow home and I was able to determine that the line had come out of the fitting in the rad. The little spring clip had broken and allowed it to come loose. If anyone is wondering Dorman 800-801 will get you an assortment of clips, including 4 of the 3/8" clips you'll need should this happen to you.

I did buy Mopar replacement lines off of ebay for $66 shipped, so if I have any further line troubles, I should be able to fix that easily. Good times...

I知 having a heck of a time with our 95 Neon. Multiple codes at once, but the coolant temp sensor has been putting out an intermittent code for some time, so I thought it had finally became a systemic wiring problem. Nope. A new charge temp sensor took care of that code straight away, but the coolant temp sensor code remains.

So far I have replaced the Coolqnt temp sensor

I replaced the coolant temp sensor pig tail up to that main branch of harness

I have verified that the ground is good, and checked the voltage.

I知 not very familiar with the neons, but I知 guessing that it shouldn稚 float from about 3.5v to 7v and change. I知 going to see if the computer is putting this out or if the wiring is somehow causing the computer to vary the voltage output.

Is this a common issue, or a sign of a bad computer, or something else?

ETA: I just pulled pin 28 at the computer and used a small Allen key to check the voltage. It will put out 5v constantly with the key on, so I think I知 chasing a wiring problem, which I知 guessing is just waiting to spiral out of control when it spreads to the sensor signal ground or something else. I値l continue on and update as I make progress.

ETA II: After cleaning the engine harness connector behind the battery, and replacing a section of the line on the engine side, I have a consistent 6.38 or so volts. No floating at all. We will see if it holds up when attached to the sensor. Af for the rest of the harness, it痴 an oily mess, but it does seem like the wiring is in good shape. Much nicer than the 97 l had some years ago. From what I can recall that one ended up with new wiring to just about every sensor. It was very ugly, it worked. I値l update when I get the whole thing back together.

ETAIII: I had a mystery short which popped the fusible link at the starter. It turns out that the alternator cable was grounding to the case and caused the short. Yikes. I値l replace the fusible link, and go from there. I have no doubt the car will run right now. I知 getting a very steady voltage at the connector for the coolant temp sensor. Frankly, I think I could have gotten by with just a cleaning of the terminals in the connector behind the battery, but the connector itself at the sensor was in rough shape, so better safe than sorry I guess.
    Last edited by cordes; 07-10-2022 at 08:14 PM.

harness as it goes behind the head on the battery side good? I thought they would rub there and cause all sorts of issues.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    harness as it goes behind the head on the battery side good? I thought they would rub there and cause all sorts of issues.

Brian
    It looks surprisingly good there. In the end, I think it was a combination of corrosion in the big connector behind the battery, bad terminals at the sensor, and everything being covered in oil because the VC leaks. It runs as well as it did before. I just wrapped it up tonight. The hardest part was splicing in the new 12ga fusible link section at the starter. Good times.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

I miss my Neon. The stupid thing was so simple that it almost never broke, and it did everything I ever asked of it. If you told 23-year-old me that the used Neon I was buying would last me into my late 30's, daily-driven the whole time (and eventually have toddler seats in the back!), I would have thought you were crazy.

That is all.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    I miss my Neon. The stupid thing was so simple that it almost never broke, and it did everything I ever asked of it. If you told 23-year-old me that the used Neon I was buying would last me into my late 30's, daily-driven the whole time (and eventually have toddler seats in the back!), I would have thought you were crazy.

That is all.
    No doubt. The 95 I bought some years ago is still going fairly strong. It uses some oil, but other than that, it's terrific.

i loved my neons too. my wife drove a 98 dohc atx over 200k, and then a friend that we sold it to, drove it for 50k more. i had a 97 sohc atx and i drove mine over 200k and then sold it to a kid who drove it for a few more years.

the NY salt eventually claimed them both......

Id love another 1st gen.... I still have parts and a 2000 parts car with a good T350HD and I have a rebuild kit..... and a 98 dohc top end. and a SRT 2.4....

Brian

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast