Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Neon thread!

turbo addict

The Neon thread!

I know we have alot of neon owners on here, some boosted some not so post them up! Neons make great reliable drivers when all the turbo-mopars are broke down, I know from experience haha!!!

turbo addict

Re: The Neon thread!

Here is the neon Ive owned the longest. Its a 97 sport coupe that has long history before I owned it, and it was the first "fast" neon I ever rode in. A buddy of mine drove it all through college mostly stock and then swapped in a full bolt on 2.4. He won ALOT of street races with his little purple coupe. I missed the opportunity to buy it and another friend bought it after he sold it to buy a SRT in 2005. Then the paint went bad, and all the go fast goodies were swapped into another shell and a 95 DOHC from a NYG ACR was put in to replace the 2.4. Thats when I bought it, back to almost stock and UGLY. Gave my buddy $250 bucks and a set of SRT wheels/tires for the car back in 08.

The little car has been great to me, its a TON OF FUN to drive. With the DOHC motor, 3.94 tranny, short tires and the KYB stuts with low milage ACR springs really make this thing handle. While mechanicly I haven't done a thing but change the oil, toss some plugs in it and put another 30k on it it still needs alot of work. When I bought it our guess was it had 250-300k on the chassis. It runs great, but it was time to upgrade since with my health I couldn't fix it like I wanted. The car has been replaced, but its not going anywhere

I bought this one last december. After deciding the purple coupe was to far gone to fix up as a really nice DD. I spent months hunting for a decent SRT I could afford. I looked at a few, but the ones in my price range were not in the shape I wanted if I was going to get my first car payment. I gave up for a while, and then remembered another friend had this for sale. After a quick test drive it was mine! It is in immaculate shape, I really dare anyone to find a cleaner, nicer original neon that is 15 years old. It is also a sport coupe, and has every option available in 98 and everything works, even the sunroof! I would have been happy with that as these cars are fun to drive and get great MPG's. But it gets better.... it has a Hahn stage 1 turbo kit with a SRT intercooler! With my bad back buying a car that was already modded made it even better! Its really a stock car with a turbo kit and nothing more. Stock wheels, stock suspension, the only other "power mod" is the vibrant muffler and the 2.5" DP I built for it after the PO's obination of a DP failed after owning the car for a week.

Ive had it 6 months or so now and really like it. It looks great, is plenty fast and I really like having a sunroof again. I have installed a WB02 and boost gauge recently (it had NO gauges when I bought it, very scary) and am planning on upping the boost from the stage 1 4-5psi to the stage 2 8psi. I also plan on putting a set of crabs on it with the 225/50's off of my CSX, removing the vibrant and straight piping it (I hate the look of the vibrant) and thats really it for now. Long term Id love to put a SRT internalled 2.4 in it along with a 20g I have, but for now this will do

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

That vibrant would look better with different tips. My first neon had dual outlets from what i think was a flowmaster 80 but the tips werent that big. Ive heard a lot of people like the sound of the Vibrant on the neon although since yours is turbo i dont know how much different it sounds.

Ive had 2 95 sohc/mtx sedans so far. The first was a sport model that i bought with a broken trans. I bought a 5spd stratus with high miles and a broken shift cable and took its trans out for the neon (didnt realize it was a 3.94 at first), and was really surprised how quick that neon was. I think it had SRI, atx tb, and muffler before i put the 3.94 in it. I eventually sold it to a friend 'in need' for way too cheap which i came to regret, and then when i realized how rare and actually good cars the 5spd stratus was, and i regretted ever parting it out for a neon in the first place. So that one did not end that happily.

A few years later i had the chance to buy a running/driving 95 base sedan sohc/mtx for $200 and jumped on it. I put about 10k on it DDing it sporadically over the past 8 months or so. I recently stopped driving it and started driving my Insight again and fixing up my 3.8L dynasty which is now drivable, but i have some mods to put on the neon while it's down.

I collected a small collection of parts for it:
    atx tb
    kirk LTH
    2.5" glasspack
    flowmaster of unknown origin
    fog light bumper cover and fog lights
    bulge hood
    big front sway bar (was it 21mm? I cant remember, but i already put it on there)
    19mm eibach rear sway
    Stiff rear springs (not sure if im going to change the fronts)
    some 15x6.5 5spokes in 4x100 because im going to convert mine to 4x100.

I also plan to send my PCM to Shelgame so he can flash it to an MP cal.

Im looking for / planning to do:
    UDP
    4x100 220mm rear drum setup from <85 k-car
    Window tint
    Speaker enclosure under rear deck for 6x9s and 1 8" sub
    4ch amp install
    NYG PAINT JOB MOTHER----ERS!!
    195/50r15 federal 595-Rs
    Valve cover gasket
    Crank sensor pigtail

Eventually i want to de-90 the stock intake mani and run a bigger ~60mm TB on it and get a cam, but thats way down my list of priorities.

Mine looks about as bad as your old car except the front bumper is still the same color as the rest of it (black/rustspots).

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

I plan on finding a nice 2 door Neon to put my spare SRT4 engine into.

turbo addict

This is how my 98 sohc 5 speed coupe sits except I have DEPO clear projectors in it. It looks nice on the outside but is completely rotted out underneath.

A crappy pic of the 98 dohc atx sedan I picked up. Gotta get it running and swap a 3.94 in it.

turbo addict

Washed and waxed my red coupe this weekend. This is the first car I have had in years that is even worth washing! It rained shortly after so I didnt get the chance to take it out and get some good shots of the car like I had planned. I also added a catch can, was tired of the filter on the vent covering the engine bay in oil.

Its not wet in the pic, thats 2 coats of wax. I wanted to do 3 but ran out of time. Ill wash it again this week and put another 2 coats on. The flat surfaces like the roof and hood really soaked it up.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Washed and waxed my red coupe this weekend. This is the first car I have had in years that is even worth washing! It rained shortly after so I didnt get the chance to take it out and get some good shots of the car like I had planned. I also added a catch can, was tired of the filter on the vent covering the engine bay in oil.

Its not wet in the pic, thats 2 coats of wax. I wanted to do 3 but ran out of time. Ill wash it again this week and put another 2 coats on. The flat surfaces like the roof and hood really soaked it up.
    Looks nice!!

turbo addict

I had a 95 5 speed sohc green neon 4 door about 5 years ago and kept it for about 2 years when the bottom of the doors rotted off as well as some other serious rust issues. I liked the car's handling and braking with 4 wheel disc with abs, but it was pretty rotten.

Skip until last fall when my close friend was selling his turbo 97 neon. With ms 2 it was perfect for me. I've stretched it's fuel saving capabilities to 41 mpg hyway at 65mph and it cointinues to be reliable and perfect for my commute.

old neon

new neon with the shadow. Some of you may recognise the neon from sdac 22.

turbo addict

What turbo setup are you running? You have peaked my interest with 41mpg and boosted! My 98 has a hahn kit, but it still pulls almost the same MPGs as my stock 97 coupe which really surprises me.

Also just a tip for other neon owners, if you have a DOHC car put 92 in on your next fill up instead of 87. I got a old "neon performance" book a while back and it said that while none of the factory neon literature says you need 92, bone stock they do pull a little timing up top when using 87. My 97 seemed to pull a little harder up top on 92. Its worth trying.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    What turbo setup are you running? You have peaked my interest with 41mpg and boosted! My 98 has a hahn kit, but it still pulls almost the same MPGs as my stock 97 coupe which really surprises me.

Also just a tip for other neon owners, if you have a DOHC car put 92 in on your next fill up instead of 87. I got a old "neon performance" book a while back and it said that while none of the factory neon literature says you need 92, bone stock they do pull a little timing up top when using 87. My 97 seemed to pull a little harder up top on 92. Its worth trying.
    Weird. I remember reading in literature that to get the 150hp advertised, that 91 octane or better was required. Mine was a 98 tho.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

That would make sense. I had never heard it anywhere before I got my hands on a probably 5-8 year old neon performance book. So maybe they did say to and I just missed it. But they definitely dont have the "Premium recommend" stickers on the gas lid like out turbo cars got.

Come to think of it, i cant even picture where a knock sensor is on a neon. I guess ive never had to change one (or they dont exist?), but it has to know to pull timing somehow if it actually does pull timing.

I got about halfway through my kirk LTH install today before i got bored of working on it. Im not DDing it anymore so i can stop in the middle of things indefinitely now. Im also putting in two short flex sections, a 20" glasspack, and a flowmaster. The front part (header, flexes, glasspack) is mostly done, but i havent started on the muffler+tip yet. $89 HF flux core welder, baby!

turbo addict

The dohc does indeed require premium. I think I'm going to eventually swap in a 2.4 in my white car. Nothing crazy. Just a relatively stock 2.4 with 2.0 cams and maybe a header or something.

If someone were to give me a set of DOHC pistons i would like to put them in my SOHC with a de-shimmed MLS headgasket, but if i were to do that i should probably find a head with functional valve guides, or have mine redone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Come to think of it, i cant even picture where a knock sensor is on a neon. I guess ive never had to change one (or they dont exist?), but it has to know to pull timing somehow if it actually does pull timing.

I got about halfway through my kirk LTH install today before i got bored of working on it. Im not DDing it anymore so i can stop in the middle of things indefinitely now. Im also putting in two short flex sections, a 20" glasspack, and a flowmaster. The front part (header, flexes, glasspack) is mostly done, but i havent started on the muffler+tip yet. $89 HF flux core welder, baby!
    When I got the MP computer, it came with a premium fuel required sticker to put on the inside of the fuel filler door. But even with the stock computer, I could hear a little knock if I short shifted and lugged the engine at low rpm.

If I had to do it over, I'd have left the stock muffler on mine. There is very little to gain over a stock muffler on a near-stock DOHC.

The knock sensor is under the intake manifold if memory serves.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

Here is my new daily driver. An 04 and my first td with working a/c. Whoo hoo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4140914.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	44758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4140917.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	303.4 KB 
ID:	44759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4140916.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	44760  

Hybrid booster
    Like the ride J. I use to never care about A/C but as I get older it becomes more important. I love the SRT man.
    KO, 86 T&C Turbo II 89 Daytona Shelby 84 Stingray SVB165SS

If I had to do it over, I'd have left the stock muffler on mine. There is very little to gain over a stock muffler on a near-stock DOHC.
    On the other hand, people talk about a stock DOHC muffler giving a noticeable gain if stuck onto a stock SOHC. Mine is a SOHC motor.

I use to never care about A/C but as I get older it becomes more important.
    I guess you could say in Texas i feel about 80 years old every time it hits 105f. I guess when i get older i will consider moving to somewhere where working a/c is considered 'optional'.

On the other hand, people talk about a stock DOHC muffler giving a noticeable gain if stuck onto a stock SOHC. Mine is a SOHC motor.
    Yes, that is true.

The DOHC muffler has a nice tone without being obnoxious. Anything louder really becomes annoying, especially with the 3.94 5-speed or automatic trans.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Mounted to the block under the intake manifold.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast