Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stuck in the middle of a t2 conv.

Hybrid booster

stuck in the middle of a t2 conv.

I have a 87 daytona pacifica was t1 log, now has 1 piece im,+40's, 3 bar map, custom t2 cal 18 psi. Ok since I think this is a wiring issue thats where I'll start. I ran two wires for the ais to the lm and connected to one of the plugs . I didn't do anything else there except for install my socketed lm. The car wont start, fuel pump wont prime. Been going over it two days and checked timing and nothing. I put my mp 87 t1 lm and it started barely, but started. With the t1 lm the fuell pump primes and I get codes 12-13-22. But nothing with the other lm, wont let me pull codes either. Someone please help, this is beating me up and I need to get it done. I looked in the knowledge center where it had a thread on t2 conversions but it seemed like it was for cars with maps on the lm not under the hood. Thanks in advanced

Garrett booster

Re: stuck in the middle of a t2 conv.

Have you gone to minimopar and looked at the pin outs for the 87 T2 harness and compare it to the stock T1 harness. Sounds like you have something not wired right. Do you know if your T2 lm worked before you got it. I bought a new mopar stage 2 for my omni ( they are remans) and it turned out to be bad out of the box.Took me a long time to figure it out.

Hybrid booster

i looked at lm connector pins for 87 t1 & 87 t2 and the only difference is the 2ais wires. I had the original t1 lm socketed and someone burned me a chip. thoughts: problem with the Chip/cal, maybe the cal was for a ghls? if it wired for t2 would the mp t1 lm still start it? mines started so I don't know where that leaves me. the orig. lm worked before getting it Socketed and it's been put up since so I'm assuming it's fine.

Garrett booster

Mine is an 86, and I remember needing to move more than 2 wires, but that was 4yrs ago and 3 project cars later so my memory of what I did is fuzzy.
    Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned on? Have you tried grounding the fuel pump @the diagnostic connector to see if the pump will run?

Hybrid booster

Haven't tried grounding the fuel pump. It comes on with the t1 lm. I assumed it was timing so I checked it a few times, but once I couldnt get it to start I tried to get codes but it wouldnt flash anything, not even 55. Thats when I tried to t1 klm. I know with the l body you have to move some wires around, but Im ASSUMING I dont have to.

Hybrid booster

cant remember about the check engine light at the moment..

Garrett booster

You say you can't get codes, but does the check light come on at all when you just turn the key on? Maybe the lm was damaged when they socketed it? If the light doesn't come on at all, something is wrong with the lm or its wiring
    I know there is a check list on the other site that you can test the power wires in and out of the lm, as well as grounds. You may need test to see what the difference between the t2 and t1 is. Or see if you can get another lm.

Hybrid booster

I really dont remember if the check engine light comes on, tomorrow is my only day off, so I'm going to check that 1st thing in the morning. Also wanted to note that the lm was socketed by one person and the cal was burnt by another. If the light doesn't come on could that be just the chip, or would that indicate the lm itself?
    #going to bed, had a long week

Garrett booster

After comparing the t1 and t2 wiring pin outs for the lm, I would bet your problem is with the lm or the wiring to it, as long as the t1 lm does something when installed and the t2 won't do a thing. I would check to see if the check engine light comes on when the key is turned on, try grounding the asd relay at the diagnostic connector. You can also check to make sure the pins in the LM and in the red and blue plugs are not bent. Check to make sure the lm connectors at the wiring harness aren't being pushed out of the connector and loosing connection to the lm. You could leave the lm connected and probe the correct pins to see if power is getting to the lm from the pm,as well as having good grounds.
    You will figure it out, just be patient. I got my omni in 2002. i converted it to t2 without ever seeing it run because it was in pieces when I got it. I got a mp t2 lm and bought a bunch of new parts. I was very green to wiring and I could not get the thing to run. I parked it for 6 yrs and finally decided to fix it or get rid of it. Long story short, I found my brand new mp lm was bad some of the time, as well as my brand new ( in 2002) tps. I got another mp t2 lm and a JY tps and the car ran great.

PS I do have a problem where my currently chipped LM won't show me any code except 55, but the light will illuminate when the key is on so I know the Lm is working

Hybrid booster

pins look good. no check engine light

Garrett booster

You could try testing the power going into the lm from the pm, but you say your t1 lm works somewhat, so I would guess your socketed t2 lm is bad. I don't know if there is a way to tell if its the chip or the board itself. You may need to change them both.
    With the TI lm, do you get a check engine light? If so, then that pretty much guarantees your t2 lm is bad

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hybrid booster

The differences between the t1 and socketed lm: Obviously the fuel pump doesnt prime with the t2. When I put it at the key on / car off position, they look the same with the exception that the power loss light comes on for about a sec with the t1 and doesnt come on at all with the t2

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Hoping to get another chip in there tonight just incase, might get a couple burnt as I have spares just to make sure it isnt the actuall chip it self

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Would it be possible that it was a L body cal that I had burnt and thats the reason its not starting? Just curious as I think about all this in my head.
    me now.... when I go to bed everynight.... Once I get it started

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jayspartanburg View Post
    The differences between the t1 and socketed lm: Obviously the fuel pump doesnt prime with the t2. When I put it at the key on / car off position, they look the same with the exception that the power loss light comes on for about a sec with the t1 and doesnt come on at all with the t2
    Then the computer isn't turning on correctly.

Hoping to get another chip in there tonight just incase, might get a couple burnt as I have spares just to make sure it isnt the actuall chip it self
    Chip is installed in the correct direction? It does matter.

Would it be possible that it was a L body cal that I had burnt and thats the reason its not starting? Just curious as I think about all this in my head.
    me now.... when I go to bed everynight.... Once I get it started
    Possible, yes. The L-Body cals are on 2 chips; so if he burned just the 'upper' portion of a GLHS cal, it won't run. Half the code is missing...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

Its in the right orientation. Its in the same direction as all the other chips.
    Last edited by jayspartanburg; 04-08-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Hybrid booster

I got a new cal burnt and still got the same no start

turbo addict
    Timing correct?

turbo addict

Sound like the Socketed LM is bad...

Hybrid booster

yes timing is right. Im thinking the same thing, which sucks because I never had problems with it before

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jayspartanburg View Post
    I got a new cal burnt and still got the same no start
    What cal was burned, what chip, and what offset?
    Last edited by ShelGame; 04-09-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast