Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow Spool Up, Why?

Slow Spool Up, Why?

I have taken the boost control chore away from the computer and installed a manual boost controller on my Horizon. It seems to take forever to spool up. The setup is an 87 T-II with a Garrett, 2pc intake, an MP computer, 2.5 S/V, 3" exhaust no cat or muffler, and a GLHS rad I/C setup. Would it be terribly bad to run a hose from the turbo directly to the TB to see if it spools faster to eliminate any boost leaks in the piping/intercooler? Once it gets to 15 it feels great but then it seems like its time to shift.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Slow Spool Up, Why?

Cam timing, sounds like the cam is retarded one tooth. Mine and others act the same way, its soggy down low and goes well up top.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Cam timing, sounds like the cam is retarded one tooth. Mine and others act the same way, its soggy down low and goes well up top.
    I'll double check that thanks. Standing on the passenger side of the car in front of the timing gears I should move the came to the clockwise one tooth correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ACR Turtle
    I'll double check that thanks. Standing on the passenger side of the car in front of the timing gears I should move the came to the clockwise one tooth correct?
    Correct, one tooth forward or clockwise.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Always overlooking the obvious. Thanks again.

Hybrid booster

How do you have the boost controller routed? where is the pressure signal coming from? and are you sure the boost controller is setup right?

Quote Originally Posted by Garret
    How do you have the boost controller routed? where is the pressure signal coming from? and are you sure the boost controller is setup right?
    Its routed from a 4 port vacuum source on the intake to the MBC and from there to the WG. Yes, I have the vacuum hose from the intake going to the "IN" on the MBC and to the WG from the "OUT".

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Try the signal from the compressor housing if you can. I know some Garretts didn't come with a barb on the compressor housing.

Its routed from a 4 port vacuum source on the intake to the MBC and from there to the WG. Yes, I have the vacuum hose from the intake going to the "IN" on the MBC and to the WG from the "OUT".
    Well, ahem, if you do it the other way, bad things happen, ask me how I know,

Well, ahem, if you do it the other way, bad things happen, ask me how I know,
    Let me guess the pressure from the intake spools the turbo backwards and causes cooler exhaust gases to be recirculated into the intake tract?

Let me guess the pressure from the intake spools the turbo backwards and causes cooler exhaust gases to be recirculated into the intake tract?
    Exactly,

Well timing belt looks right. I put the mark on the flywheel to 0, dist drive"line going left to right, and the cam cap lines splittting the holes in the cam gearwith the small hole at 12 o'clock. Means it should be good correct? I tried using the small vacuum port on the TB which didn't seem to make any difference. First gear only gets about 10 psi before redline, 2nd gets 15 about 4500, and 3rd gets 15-16about 4000. The turbo does have a .63 AR exhaust housing on it, if that matters. Maybe it is what it is. I do have a large can adjustable wastegate on there, could it be set too loose?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Try tightening up the wastegate arm. Check to make sure there are no boost leaks. What are all the specs of the turbo?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22
    Try tightening up the wastegate arm. Check to make sure there are no boost leaks. What are all the specs of the turbo?
    Its one noone seemed to like in another thread. T3/T04B super 46 trim with the .63 ar exhaust housing and std exhaust wheel. It seemed like the closest thing to a super 60 that was my original thought for an upgrade. I felt like a 50 trim would have been too much at this point. And I'm not doubting the turbo, I'm sure there are adjustments that are needed, just looking for ideas to try. It feels like the car is "wanting" to go faster but something is holding it back. plugs 3 and 4 look like they have been sprayed with brown primer and 1 and 2 are pale skin color, so really unsure whether to add fuel or take some out. Unfortunately the wideband isn't installed yet and I don't have an EGT gauge.

As a side note the car always felt laggy, even with the stock garrett on it from a roll. From a stop it would spool relatively quick, but to downshift and floor it it would take awhile to build boost. 15 psi definately feels better now than before, but would like to feel it sooner.

Is the .63 housing for a standard wheel and not a stage 2 or stage 3 wheel. Advance the cam one tooth forward and see what happens.

Is the .63 housing for a standard wheel and not a stage 2 or stage 3 wheel. Advance the cam one tooth forward and see what happens.
    Yes its a standard wheel. I'll try one, what happens with two teeth advanced?

Yes its a standard wheel. I'll try one, what happens with two teeth advanced?

Two teeth is too much!

I guess low compression would cause it as well huh? All the cylinders are the same but all are equally low. Guess I'll try a re-ring see if compression comes up. The motor was a fresh motor with roughly 2000 miles on it.

Oh yeah tried the cam tooth theory and there was no change.

I guess low compression would cause it as well huh? All the cylinders are the same but all are equally low. Guess I'll try a re-ring see if compression comes up. The motor was a fresh motor with roughly 2000 miles on it.

Oh yeah tried the cam tooth theory and there was no change.

Whats the compression? what cam are you running?

Whats the compression? what cam are you running?
    Compression was an even 110 across the 4 cylinders. Its a 91 turbo roller cam I had from another car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast