Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Project LookOwt: Saving a piece of 3.0 history

turbo addict

Re: Project LookOwt: Saving a piece of 3.0 history

The headers were developed when it still had the original engine, so they will work on a Chrysler 3.0...you will HAVE to loose the A/C, though. Back around 1997 I was quoted around $450 to build those headers by a local shop where I lived at the time. Rick had actually scanned and sent me the plans for the headers back then.

BTW, maybe because I never really got this far with it, but what is different about the distributor? I thought it was a regular Chrysler 3.0 distributor. I know the SOHC 3Si, Diamante, Galant all have the different distributor. I'm just curious...not debating or doubting.

hmmmmm i wonder if you can pull the cal from tcm and send it to rob for inspection.
    The TCM is stock to my knowledge. Remember, the TCM was a stand-alone computer. It only needed input from the TPS, speed sensor, and engine speed (IIRC). That's why you see the scotch-lock on the wiring of the TCM in the pictures above.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Chrysler dizzy is on the left, Mitsu on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000862.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	528.4 KB 
ID:	44734
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

A 90's mitsu engine with a distributor problem? Never heard of it.

Hybrid booster

RPW has headers listed on their site for a mitsu magna/diamante 3.0 SOHC. Looks like a fair amount of work is required to make them fit chrysler apps.

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/d3b08d48f9ba34c46c1104108d05fbd9.jpg

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php...emart&Itemid=1

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Chrysler dizzy is on the left, Mitsu on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000862.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	528.4 KB 
ID:	44734
    It doesn't look like the Mitsu dizzy will even remotely work on this engine. Are you suspecting it has the Mitsu dizzy on it, or..? I'm kinda confused. Sorry. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by MC#4 View Post
    RPW has headers listed on their site for a mitsu magna/diamante 3.0 SOHC. Looks like a fair amount of work is required to make them fit chrysler apps.

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/d3b08d48f9ba34c46c1104108d05fbd9.jpg

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php...emart&Itemid=1
    Yeah, those headers don't fit. The ones on this engine are completely custom.

Hybrid booster

I've seen the car, it's badass!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I never noticed the mitsu and dodge distributors were so different. Does the mitsu distributor piece for the head tilt the distributor any differently than the dodge one?

Actually i guess my lazy --- could just go look at my 3000gt if i wanted to know so feel free to ignore that question.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    It doesn't look like the Mitsu dizzy will even remotely work on this engine. Are you suspecting it has the Mitsu dizzy on it, or..? I'm kinda confused. Sorry. :-(

Yeah, those headers don't fit. The ones on this engine are completely custom.
    The long one is the one that was in the car. The short one is one of the various Chrysler 3.0 dizzies I have laying around that I personally pulled. All the Chrysler 3.0 distributors I've ever pulled are short. So, my consensus is that the long one is a Mitsu unit.

I didn't know the headers were full custom, I thought they were RPW units.

I have a friend coming over next weekend to help verify what shot the nitrous is set up for.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

Huh...I never noticed the dizzy stuck up that far.

Yeah, the headers were full custom.

The shot *should* be something around a 175 shot from what I was told.

The TCM is stock to my knowledge. Remember, the TCM was a stand-alone computer. It only needed input from the TPS, speed sensor, and engine speed (IIRC). That's why you see the scotch-lock on the wiring of the TCM in the pictures above.
    Well, sort of standalone. Standalone but not universal.. Ive been looking at all my TCM pinouts and it looks like there are some significant differences that would keep some from working in other apps. Like, i noticed in the case of the 3.3/3.8 and 3.5 pinouts that the CKP signal is simply spliced off the CKP circuit and not conditioned in any way so that makes me a think a 3.0 TCM wouldnt work on a 3.3/3.8 or a 3.5, or a mitsu 2.5, or a 2.0/2.4 etc because they probably all have different software to interpret the different types of signals from the reference sensors.

Im not really sure what goes over the CCD bus between the TCM and PCM... does this daytona still have the sbec at all?

turbo addict

I think the later ones relied on the CCD bus a bit more. The signals for the early 3.0's at least were raw signals from what I understand. I remember reading the A604 FSM and the patent info.

I edited my post while you were already replying, like a jerk.

I have an 89 and 91 3.0 TCM diagram if that is useful. I also have some 3.3/3.8 and 3.5 ones because my main interest is putting the 3.5L 606 autostick TCM from my old intrepid into my 1990 3.8 604 car.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Huh...I never noticed the dizzy stuck up that far.

Yeah, the headers were full custom.

The shot *should* be something around a 175 shot from what I was told.
    I was thinking it is a 175, we'll find out.

Just did some quick looking, and I can find a pic of the long distributor anywhere. Looked up the Diamante and Daytona on Rock Auto, and they both show short dizzies. This one has a Chrsyler connector, but the pigtail unplugs at the dizzy and I'm pretty sure it's the same as a later Chrysler 3.0 dizzy, so it may interchange between the two. Only difference I saw in the Rock Auto pic was the harness connector. I did a search for Pajero distributor on Google and it shows a shot dizzy also.

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Well, sort of standalone. Standalone but not universal.. Ive been looking at all my TCM pinouts and it looks like there are some significant differences that would keep some from working in other apps. Like, i noticed in the case of the 3.3/3.8 and 3.5 pinouts that the CKP signal is simply spliced off the CKP circuit and not conditioned in any way so that makes me a think a 3.0 TCM wouldnt work on a 3.3/3.8 or a 3.5, or a mitsu 2.5, or a 2.0/2.4 etc because they probably all have different software to interpret the different types of signals from the reference sensors.

Im not really sure what goes over the CCD bus between the TCM and PCM... does this daytona still have the sbec at all?
    No SBEC at all.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Seems to be a wiring problem. Switched the sensors today (Chrysler sensor is the same), still acted the same. Wiggled the harness around and it started sparking. Thought I found the problem, but it still seems to be acting up. Not sure that the injectors are working either. BTW the injectors are stock.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

Hmmm sound like your going to have to start ohming the wires from the dizzy back to the ecu or msd.

Yeah I'm probably gonna have to check/fix the whole harness. It also has a Bosch ignition module, or igniter, that could be bad I suppose. Another thing is that they didn't cut the voltage down going to the distributor, the Haltech has a full voltage power supply output for the trigger, but the stock distributor sensor is only supposed to get 8v. I don't think it is causing an issue right now, but it could kill the sensor quickly once its running.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I run 12v and Kirk ran 12v to the distributor. I did it on his advice.

I believe his block is actually a Galant Block from the late 90's (maybe an 98). I was thinking hyaundai block also. I have never seen that long distributor and I have mitsu diamante 1992 heads on my Spirit right now (190k mile heads). Those came off my Duster when I needed a set of heads that had good valve seal. Duster got junky leaky chryco heads. They seem to be the same. Mitsubishi does use a different distributor cap. I also don't know if late model 3000gt 12 valves are quite different. I don't know if those are adjustable.

I have my doubts that there is any tune saved on that haltech, which means it can't run.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Yeah, that standalone seems like a really big pile of IFs right now. It would almost be better if it wasnt there. Based on what ive heard about the ease-of-use of old Haltechs, id almost consider paring down the 3.0 electronics out of your 86 daytona into a more or less standalone setup and running an AEM FIC on them. Im sure Shayne would have an educated opinion on that.

Can the tune be lost off the Haltech? I understood it was supposed to have run on the Haltech, supposedly had a base tune mapped up to 3k rpms. But maybe not. I have no way to really check it either.

The original harness is still in the car, just has a couple plugs missing and the engine harness is gone. I have a 90 3.0 ATX computer from a Lebaron, so I may just go ahead and swap it back to factory electronics. That was my plan anyway, was just trying to see if I could make it run on the Haltech.

I may try eliminating the Bosch igniter, as it seems redundant w/ the MSD 6A in there anyway. Not sure why they have both wired in, as they are both ignition modules. If that doesn't work, I'll probably just put it back stock. Not sure if the '93 engine harness on my '86 will work or not, there are different injector harness plugs for different years. Although the injector harness in this car has a different plug than I remember on any of them, might be a Mitsu harness.

Oh yeah, and I found that the color coding in the harness is different than what the Haltech E6K wiring diagram shows. Thanks Haltech Pin-out seems to match though.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

I have no clue if the cal can be lost. I'd imagine that it is on a EEPROM chip, and once those have something on them, they need a signal to change anything on it. However, if the cal is saved in a memory that needs power like a computer's motherboard, then maybe a battery went dead over time?

I'd call Haltec and ask them. Even though they don't really support it online anymore, I'm sure they still have customer support for it. You can still find them for sale (I looked not long before I decided to sell the car).

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast