Thread: I have a cold air intake question.

Mitsu booster

I have a cold air intake question.

I just bought a airaid 101302 part# cold air intake for my 1992 dodge daytona iroc shelby. Its engine is a 2.5l turbo I can't figure out how to install this cold air intake. finding aftermarket parts is very hard for me with this engine. I can't seem to figure out how to install this air intake. My question is... If this isn't the right air intake for the car than what is? Please help me!

turbo addict

Re: I have a cold air intake question.

nobody makes a kit for a Turbododge, everything is going to be custom.

Mitsu booster

Alrighty, thanks man. This is going to be more difficult then I thought.

Hybrid booster

It's a universal kit. A cold air intake is not really going to do you any good. There are other things, like an intercooler, that you should address first. If you need an air filter, get a drop in k& n.

Mitsu booster

Thumbs up Re: I have a cold air intake question.

A cold air intake alone won't benefit me too much because of the restriction on the stock exhaust but by the end of this month I will have a complete custom exhaust system on my car to boot. I will eventually get an intercooler when I save enough money for it.

Hybrid booster

The exhaust isn't the reason. The turbo is heating the air charge so much that a cold air intake won't matter, regardless of the exhaust. Don't worry about getting cool air to the turbo, worry about cooling the air going into the motor.
    There is a lot of info on making these cars fast on the internet.
    Start here:
    http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo.html

Mitsu booster

Okay thanks for the link, I'm looking into it. Unfortunately I already bought the cold air intake so I will try and make it work but if not then I guess i'll just return it.

boostaholic

You can pickup an old crusty cooler for less than 50 dollars. Or you can get a water injection setup going for about 100. Its not easy to keep the budget that low though. Have you checked out Gus Mahon's site?
    MinivanRider

Garrett booster

I'm gonna install a 4" tube that has a velocity stake at the end just before it enters the compressor.....the inlet end will be 4" and the outlet will be 2.5" -3" just like the AEM V2 cold air intake....The 4" tube will act as a accumulator (supply wise) and to reduce intake frictional resistance, so it's not trying to inhale thru too small of a straw that is too long as well....A velocity stack that fits inside the 4" tube will neck down to the turbo inlet size with plenty of ram inertia to feed that turbo effortlessly.....and where I place my air filter will be forward of the radiator core sucking up plenty of pressurized cold air seating in front of that intercooler radiator compartment here's an AEM air intake example:
    http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...FUOe4AodQSoAMg

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

[QUOTE=BadAssPerformance;992245]This is how I did it years ago
    http://www.badassperformance.com/mte...tml[/QUOTE] Yeah kinda the same idea but my setup will be an aluminum plate in place of the Oem Turbo2 intercooler location with 3 short 6" long tubes , 2 of them will be 2.5" intercooler connections and the other will be a 4" x 6" long (3" fwd of plate, 3" rear of plate) used for the large 4" air filter setting high in the area forward of the radiator core support so it will be dry and in the pressure zone away from majority of the dirt/dust (vs In that lower position).....the other (2) 2.5" pipe fitting will be for the "To Intercooler" and "From Intercooler" making this a super clean modular design that bolts' into the factory radiator core support....I've seen to many air filters located in the hot engine bay and having itoutside inthat pressure zone is a 2 or 3 fold advantage....I've been busting my A$$ on my 4 Nissans....It's time to wake up my beast and finish this project.....