Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a Dodge Stealth R/T

Re: Picked up a Dodge Stealth R/T

Quote Originally Posted by j4278h View Post
    Perfect, thanks! Couldn't get much easier than that...

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Enjoy your Mitsubishi product!
    Somehow I get this understanding that you are being sarcastic lol

Well I got this sonofagun out, and hmmmmm...I dunno. Don't really see any leakage, in fact it seems pretty clean

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Also, I found this coin while pulling the console apart...this car was imported from Japan, correct? Anyone think a line worker could have dropped and lost this during initial assembly? Maybe we could rule it out if someone could decipher the date. Dime included as size reference.

[FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When am I NOT being sarcastic? :P

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

Those caps are a time bomb, already swelling and leaking on one of them in the picture (Q23). Has a nice clear bubble oozing out.
    I can not say with 100% that the ecm is your problem because some with really nasty boards still function fine.

Paul,
    cover cost of shipping and I'll toss you an ecm to try it out.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Those caps are a time bomb, already swelling and leaking on one of them in the picture (Q23). Has a nice clear bubble oozing out.
    I can not say with 100% that the ecm is your problem because some with really nasty boards still function fine.

Paul,
    Yeah, I was thinking the same. Looks like they are starting to bulge out in the top 1/2 of the cap. Honestly for the price, just get another one and see if it takes care of it. How does the injector harness look? My neighbor had one that was dried out and shorting on the injectors and brackets. Just an idea.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hell, that's mighty kind of you! How and when would you like me to pay? Send the cost for shipping out with the mail today? Include payment for your shipping cost when I ship it back...or will you be coming back to Chicago for a Shelby meet anytime soon? I'll PM my address and we can figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    How does the injector harness look? My neighbor had one that was dried out and shorting on the injectors and brackets. Just an idea.
    I haven't noticed anything out of place while perusing under the hood, but it's good to know that others have had this issue. Thanks dude, I'll inspect it thoroughly next time I'm out there!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

I've heard of MANY people replacing the caps in these ECM's. I could swear there's a "how to" someplace WITH PN's...or maybe even a kit.

As with any car, these are decent if taken care of, but they can be EXPENSIVE to fix. MOPAR does NOT support this vehicle anymore, so any OEM part will have to come from Mitsu. The 3Si forums can be helpful, but be choosy on who you listen to. Ondonti (Brent) might be able to help you out with that as I know he was active on some of those forums. He isn't posting much on car stuff right now due to focusing on his school (VERY good on him!! ) He is also a wealth of knowledge about the engines as he's done a ton of research on them, and a lot of trial and error.

Overall, nice find! Don't let the "complexity" overwhelm you. Break everything down into systems and approach things from that direction. For running issues, remember an engine needs 3 things to work: fuel, spark, compression. If it isn't running correctly, or starting, find out which is missing and go from there.

BTW, don't call it a DSM!! LOL It is NOT a DSM!! (3Si guys AND DSM guys will blow up about that LOL...it's pretty funny sometimes)

boostaholic

The yen nickel says 1985.
    MinivanRider

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

There are computer repair companies that will refurbish those computers. I think last we checked it was like 500 bucks + your core for a rebuilt computer.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I would think if you take a 'working' ecm and just replace the caps you dont need anything more specialized than a desoldering iron (soldering iron with a sucker bulb, $20 radioshack), or even a soldering iron alone.

Repairing implies already broke so you're diagnosing, maybe repairing a lot of components, and then verifying the repair with some kind of complicated test bench (which might be a car), so i can see why companies would charge $500 if they dont know whats about to come in the door.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I've heard of MANY people replacing the caps in these ECM's. I could swear there's a "how to" someplace WITH PN's...or maybe even a kit.

As with any car, these are decent if taken care of, but they can be EXPENSIVE to fix. MOPAR does NOT support this vehicle anymore, so any OEM part will have to come from Mitsu. The 3Si forums can be helpful, but be choosy on who you listen to. Ondonti (Brent) might be able to help you out with that as I know he was active on some of those forums. He isn't posting much on car stuff right now due to focusing on his school (VERY good on him!! ) He is also a wealth of knowledge about the engines as he's done a ton of research on them, and a lot of trial and error.

Overall, nice find! Don't let the "complexity" overwhelm you. Break everything down into systems and approach things from that direction. For running issues, remember an engine needs 3 things to work: fuel, spark, compression. If it isn't running correctly, or starting, find out which is missing and go from there.

BTW, don't call it a DSM!! LOL It is NOT a DSM!! (3Si guys AND DSM guys will blow up about that LOL...it's pretty funny sometimes)
    Lots of good info here, thanks Reaper

Quote Originally Posted by Rrider View Post
    The yen nickel says 1985.
    Very neat! Then it is possible that the coin was dropped by a worker while going down the assembly line in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    There are computer repair companies that will refurbish those computers. I think last we checked it was like 500 bucks + your core for a rebuilt computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I would think if you take a 'working' ecm and just replace the caps you dont need anything more specialized than a desoldering iron (soldering iron with a sucker bulb, $20 radioshack), or even a soldering iron alone.

Repairing implies already broke so you're diagnosing, maybe repairing a lot of components, and then verifying the repair with some kind of complicated test bench (which might be a car), so i can see why companies would charge $500 if they dont know whats about to come in the door.
    Thanks guys. Yeah I've been web surfing and found a couple repair shops. Also found out what type of caps need to be replaced...my good friend Jakub is stopping by here tomorrow to see if we can successfully swap them out.
    Last edited by blk86trbo; 04-07-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I literally had 12 year old girls replace caps in a computer monitor to fix it this year. Just go on mouser and buy some good quality caps rated for the capacitance and voltage that the old ones say or higher and be done with it. Are those Capsxon(sp) brand units? They're what commonly fail in all sorts of stuff. Way cheaper than the competition for a reason from what I've read...

Another great source of info, thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Are those Capsxon(sp) brand units?
    I think there were something like Nicholson or something close to that?

Yesterday I headed up to Chicago and Jakub replaced the 4 caps with new ones. Wouldn't you know, the damn car started right up and runs smooth? Incredible!

turbo addict

SWEET!

Ahh... leaking capacitors... I hate that. Ruins plenty of vintage computers nowadays. I know I need to get them replaced on an old Macintosh I have but I have a very unsteady hand so I can't do the work myself.

turbo addict
    Rubyconn caps? Same ones that leak on sidekicks and trackers.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Found this video while doing some research...pretty cool LOL

Hybrid booster

speaking of Stealth r/t .... I know of a 1991 Blue with 34,000 miles in PA philly area . Owner says the car is in awesome shape and is looking for $10,000

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Glad to hear it was that simple Paul.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I saw a clean VR4 driving around Jacksonville Fl last week.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast