Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 88 dodge shadow

turbo addict

88 dodge shadow

Was searching Craigslist one day when I found an 88 shadow turbo for sale and decided to inquire. It was listed for 1800 and said it had been sitting for a few years. An old guy had owned it for 40k of its 62k life where it sat since 2008. I went an looked at the car and by that time the daughter of the old man had a change of heart about selling it. So I pestered her till she eventually changed her mind. Day of the title transfer comes and the price was 1300 for the car. Then we started talking and she said I removed some of his possessions out of the car and can't possibly make you pay 1300 for it (musty mildew smell in the interior) so it ended up being only a grand. Here are some pics of the car the day I picked her up.

turbo addict

Re: 88 dodge shadow

base model turbo! a hard find these days.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

turbo addict

The body is in great shape but as for all the rubber hoses brake lines and anything else on the bottom side it's gone. I don't understand how the bottom of the body is good and everything else is like these pictures so its all getting replaced.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

This is a pic of the vac block I plan on running from McMaster Carr. Also getting The engine bay ready for a rad/ic combo.

Hybrid booster

nice find! A little TLC and you have a cool little car.

Oh man, I love it! The 87-88 P body are, in my opinion anyway, much cooler than their 89+ counterparts. I just really like the front end much more.

turbo addict

Any of the pbody guys know how swappable the pedal assembly from the 89 is? Is it a direct bolt in? There is a 5 speed setup at the local jy that I might snag.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    Any of the pbody guys know how swappable the pedal assembly from the 89 is? Is it a direct bolt in? There is a 5 speed setup at the local jy that I might snag.
    I'm not certain about that specific swap, but I've taken 88 or 89 Daytona pedals and swapped them into my 86 600. I think they all pretty much interchange.

turbo addict

Here's the gas tank that was in it. It's been replaced along with a new sending unit pump still worked so I'm going to take a chance on it.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

All is ready to go with the tank other than the roll over check valve. It came out in pieces. Bought one for a jeep are will see how it fits.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

One of the only go fast pieces I'm putting on for now. I am gonna fab up hard intercooler pipes and an intake. Going to run a ssqv bov and put some ports in for water meth and a intake air sensor if I think it will help in tuning but I'm unsure yet.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

New brakes brake lines hoses struts and shocks all around for the old girl

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The jeep rollover valve has a slightly smaller OD than our original rollover valve, the grommet is the same OD as our old one but the ID is slightly reduced so the valve fits tightly and not leak vapors. Did you get the grommet to go with the new valve also ? if not I have a NIP one here, pm me your address and I'll send it your way.

turbo addict

It was a kit that came with both I got off amazon by the number that was posted on an old thread about the rollover valve. Said it came with both. Hopefully it does. I'm waiting on that to get here to get the tank back in.

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Another issue I'm going to have is retaining cruise control with the intercooler and rad setup. It's factory location is directly in front of the inlet of the intercooler

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I believe you can just move the actuator to under the battery... Some had it that way from the factory (TCs and some others?), should allow you to retain the CC with the TII rad set-up.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    I believe you can just move the actuator to under the battery... Some had it that way from the factory (TCs and some others?), should allow you to retain the CC with the TII rad set-up.

Mike
    Ill have too look into this when I work on it next it was mounted to the battery tray from the factory and it couldn't be more in the way there.

Hmm... Might be miss-remembering then. I thought that was how the factory did the TII/CC option, but I've never had one with cruise so I could be mistaken.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Hmm... Might be miss-remembering then. I thought that was how the factory did the TII/CC option, but I've never had one with cruise so I could be mistaken.

Mike
    I believe you're right. It was just bent to clear the IC hose from what I recall.

turbo addict

Ill have to figure something out. Probably after I do the intercooler pipes

turbo addict

Well time to update some of my progress. The jeep roll over valve kit came so I got the new tank sending unit and pump all together and put it in. Ran all my vac lines and pu the stock t1 airbox and stuff back on and have been driving it around the neighborhood (title still hasn't shown up from pendot a month later). It runs decent boosts as it should and shifts decent. The idle quality could be better i swear the injectors are sticking or something since they are awfully loud I also can not get the tach to quit going crazy. I soldered all the pin connections and this made no difference so I'm unsure what to do next other than try a different cluster. Once I get it inspected I plan to work on the intercooler piping and I need to clean the interior it's got that mildew smell from sitting. Airing it out has helped so I'm confident I can get the smell out by just a good interior cleaning.

Run some Lucy's injector cleaner through it, it has helped me out in the past smooth out idle issues, assuming it has fresh ignition parts (cap, rotor, and wires) and has the timing properly set.

They will likely still be a bit loud, but shouldn't cause a poor idle if the cleaner did the job, if they are still a problem, you'll want to either get new ones or send them out for a more "industrial" cleaning.

Seems like it's coming along nicely! Keep up the good work!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

turbo addict

I don't have a timing light but will have to borrow one. I'm going to check the cap and rotor as such for burned things. I put new plugs and wires and such. Still at a loss on this tach

If you have re-flowed the solder on the tach's board, etc, all the grounds are good, and the connectors are clean and making good contact... Then I'll put my vote towards a bad tach/board.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast