Thread: 1987 Daytona Shelby Z T-Tops from Mexico

Mitsu booster

1987 Daytona Shelby Z T-Tops from Mexico

Hey guys.

Since I didn't find anywhere else a "new member" thread or something like that, I did it here. (If there really is one, please relocate)

Im Ricardo from Mexico, living in the state of Sonora (the one south-border to AZ) and I drive a Daytona Shelby Z T-Tops, and I dare to say, owner of one of the cleanest (if not the cleanest) Daytonas in Mexico; taking in mind that the Daytona wasn't sold here (at least thats the last thing I know).

Thanks to Chris Wright, owner of TU, I registered here. I've meet with him a couple of times when I was visiting some relatives in Phoenix and bought some stuff from him. He advised me to register here, since there is more knowledge here than the next door forum (and I have noticed that in the few days that I have been registered).

I owe you guys the pics, since I have some pics but are quite old, and the car has received some minor changes since then, once I take the pictures I will put them up.

I hope to learn a little bit more here and gain more knowledge about these lovely platforms.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

Re: 1987 Daytona Shelby Z T-Tops from Mexico

Excellent, welcome to to Turbo-Mopar!

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

turbo addict

Welcome! Please post up pictures when you get a chance!

You are correct that Daytona's were not sold in Mexiaco for whatever reason. You guys did get Phantom R/T's, though...and some really cool options with those that we didn't get (4-speed OD transmissions with 4-cylinder engines, the DOHC TIII option, it seems that more digital dashes were sold down there than here). I'm just a HUGE fan of Phantom R/T's. I know they are LeBaron's, but still....just a WAY cooler name and the coupes (which is the only way you could get them in Mexico that I know of), is just a very sexy design.

Hybrid booster

They also got the Magnum. I want one of those badly.

Ricardo!!!

Glad to see you found the site. It was nice meeting you again. Let us know when you are back in town and we will take you to the weekly car show we have in Scottsdale.

Later,

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Garrett booster

Welcome! Please share pics, we'd all like to see what your Daytona looks like. This is a great place to be for TM enthusiast, much knowledge and help from everyone.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

HOLA AMIGO!!! Lets see some pics of that car.......in the warm Mexican sunshine please. Since we don't have that here.

Mitsu booster

Ok, I finally got to upload the pics on imageshack, but for some reason when I put them direct, they go ALL BIG on the screen and I don't know how to resize them, so I'll put the link

Here's how it looked last year, Drag Racing 17" plastidipped

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-image...sc01277dt.jpg/

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-image...sc01278km.jpg/

Got tired of the hard suspension on the Daytona plus the low profile tires, PITA! So I traded the for some nice 15" and blue painted the calipers

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-image...216150145.jpg/

Here's a pic of Chris and me (hope he doesn't get mad!) and the two Shelby brothers, last March I went to Phoenix

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-image...310140811.jpg/

If you noticed the left window bezel missing, it flew off in the Tucson-Phoenix highway, we encountered like 3-4 sandstorms

I'm sorry guy to keep you waiting but we just moved to a new house and I don't have internet or cable or phone, not yet.

As for mods on this Daytona, its basically stock, just changed the boost gauge for a Depo Racing boost gauge, 3" turboback with no cat (Thank GOD for Mexico and no emission control), AEM wideband and a GReddy Type RZ (which I just traded for a new ECU prepared to boost up to 18psi with no trouble), I got a same side IC standing on my room waiting to be installed and 3" piping (to big maybe?) and I just bought a TurboXS RFL BOV, change the sound on the discharge, plus I need a new one since I'm runing with no BOV and I'm getting HELL of fluttering/surge.

Let me know what you guys think.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

First of all welcome! Second nice looking Daytona

Mitsu booster

Thanks! I try to keep it as stock as posible (in terms of looks), just minor mods to make it look better.