Thread: Adjusting my BOV

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Adjusting my BOV

Hey, I got a TurboXS RFL blow off valve on my T2 Rampage, and i am having a little trouble getting it adjusted properly. It seems like its getting a little compressor surge just before it starts going into boost, and when a let off the gas right away.. it sounds just like a helicopter. (just before it starts going to 1PSI boost on my auto meter gauge) I can here the turbo start to spool up as well. It seems to be working perfect when i am at about 3PSI+ and let off the gas. I cant here any compressor surge, but maybe its because the BOV is so LOUD.

Is this hard on the turbo even at extremly low boost? because no matter how many washers i put in are take out it doesn't seem to change.

If anyone else is using a TURBOXS BOV how many washers did you have to put in? ..i think i have 4 washers in right now.

I also wanted to let everyone know that this BOV is extremly loud, but it sounds awesome, and you can scare pedestrians and golfers,

Re: Adjusting my BOV

From past experience a bov designed or modified to hold high boost will compressor surge a little when you let off at low boost.
    My modified Talon bov would do it at anything much below 10 psi. Personally I don't think it will cause you any problems.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Little bits of compressor surge at low boost are normal. Okay it's not the best for the turbo, but it'll live. At high boost and spinning that wheel the opposite direction is when you kill things.

If you adjust the spring to pop the seat in the BOV at 1psi, the spring wouldn't hold high boost.

turbo addict

all bovs other than sequential release will surge some at low boost as stated...my ssqv will open every time a pressure wave hits it and crossing fom vac to boost then lifting you can really hear it flutter...if you're really worried, just make sure you never lift in low boost

boostaholic

Its always happened on mine,I had a Turboxs type s and a mitsu turbo then went to a enforcer turbo and waited a while now I have the dual horn rfl knock off and it still does the same thing as long as its only at low boost it shouldnt hurt also on a second note if you have a line from your crank case going to the inlet pipe of the turbo a check valve wouldnt be a bad idea in the line,thats just my opinion.

Thanks for the info guys.. I guess i will just have to do what t3rse says and shift it at higher boost to stop the compressor surge,

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Rampage
    Thanks for the info guys.. I guess i will just have to do what t3rse says and shift it at higher boost to stop the compressor surge,
    I honestly wouldn't let it bother you. At that low of a pressure, it's not hurting a thing. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the TII cars even got a bov stock.

I am not to worried about it either, because the BOV seems to be doing a great job at higher boost. The compressor surge is probebly more noticable, because i have a cone filter. Its just more of an annoying sound if anything. This T2 setup in my light Rampage is nuts even at the 5lbs boost i have it set at right now, because of the new clutch.. i cant even imagine what its going to be like when i turn the boost up to 14lbs,

Your also right about the TII cars not having a BOV at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Rampage
    I am not to worried about it either, because the BOV seems to be doing a great job at higher boost. The compressor surge is probebly more noticable, because i have a cone filter. Its just more of an annoying sound if anything. This T2 setup in my light Rampage is nuts even at the 5lbs boost i have it set at right now, because of the new clutch.. i cant even imagine what its going to be like when i turn the boost up to 14lbs,

Your also right about the TII cars not having a BOV at all.
    It was a little annoying to me in the Daytona too. Probably not as much as it could have been because the Daytona was an auto. I eventually got used to it though.