Thread: Intermediate shaft bearing woe's

Garrett booster

Intermediate shaft bearing woe's

So I have now installed a second set of intermediate shaft bearings in my TIII. It went slightly better that the first time where I got the outside bearing very crooked. This time I believe that I got the bearings installed dang near perfectly straight. I can insert the shaft 3/4's of the way and it spins freely but if I push it all the way in it is very tight to where I need to install the pulley to rotate it. I am thinking I need to order another $35 set of bearings and try again but I am unsure how to get the bearings installed any straighter than I have this time. I am using a regular cam bearing install tool for the outer bearing and a piece of 3/8 solid rod with a collar welded on it for the inner bearing.

New shaft and pump being installed BTW.

Any Ideas?

turbo addict
    If its just a burr, use a knife to cut the burr out.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Intermediate shaft bearing woe's

Is the oil pump already installed when your trying to full seat the intermediate shaft ?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Is the oil pump already installed when your trying to full seat the intermediate shaft ?
    LOL. No just the shaft.

Garrett booster

Anyone have ideas? I ruined another bearing. I really want to get this car going.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Sounds like your crushing the bearing installing it. I would honestly try to find a proper installer or have one made or even see if you can borrow one for some coffee and donuts.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    If its just a burr, use a knife to cut the burr out.
    ^^Did you try this? I used a round file and knocked the edge off this way..just sounds like you rolled the edge over. Is it in the car (assuming yes)..if it gets a little crooked you should be able to straighten it out if you go slowly. Cant remember but could you use two big washer(one on inside and one on outside) and threaded rod and pull it in?

Garrett booster

Do you have a pic or specs on what the proper installer is? I have tried researching it here and directly from a search engine but I am not getting real far. It looks so much like a cam bearing that I thought that the cam bearing installer would be the slick ticket.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    ^^Did you try this? I used a round file and knocked the edge off this way..just sounds like you rolled the edge over. Is it in the car (assuming yes)..if it gets a little crooked you should be able to straighten it out if you go slowly. Cant remember but could you use two big washer(one on inside and one on outside) and threaded rod and pull it in?
    I don't think it is a burr. I can't feel one with my fingers. It seems to me I am just getting it crooked at some point and that might be crushing it. I know when installing cam bearings in small block v8's you sometimes have to "tune" the the bearing because they are not perfectly straight. That is kind of what it seems like here. The shaft is just kind of binding. I might have to give the washers and threaded rod a try. Apparently I'm not doing so hot with the tap it in method.

Well do you have access to some bore mics or telescoping gages so that you can measure and find the issue?

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

What your describing sure sounds like a burr...

Garrett booster

I do not. But you are right I should do some measuring to figure out what the deal is.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Might be a dumb question, but are we sure the shaft isn't bent? Is this the "new" one? If so, maybe try the old one to see if it fully engages and spins freely.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

The shaft is new from fwdperformance. I have also tried the old one thinking it might fit better being that is might be worn after 135k.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

OK, if both are doing the same thing then it's not likely to be the shaft itself... I was just considering that even the "new" shaft isn't really BRAND NEW...

Bearings it is!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke