Thread: New master cylinder

Hybrid booster

New master cylinder

Well, I just ordered a new master cylinder to put in my GLH and I took the Raybestos one which is a 15/16 which translate into 24mm.

Two things I noticed right away.

-Made in China.
    -Steel casting.

I bought it, no choice of using it but kinda sad I bought that.
    It's new, it should work alright, right. Right?

Thank god China is there to help us to keep our cars on the road...

Which brand should I choose to have a copy of a NOS one but new?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: New master cylinder

I don't think you'll find a new aftermarket piece that isn't steel, at least that's been my experience.

If you want Aluminum, you'll have to find a OE unit.

They do make rebuild kits, but if the bore is worn, the anodizing is probably gone or scratched enough to need honing and that would result in a dangerous condition (IMHO).

Sucks I know, but that little bit of added weight isn't that significant.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Do I dare to say it.

I rather use a brand new one instead of buying an old used period correct one.
    I would have like something closer in look for the ``period correct`` even if I am modifying the car.

But yeah, didn`t wanna go the rebuilt way and wanted the 24mm upgrade so Chinese it is.

If others have used them I kinda feel more confortable of using it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Since you did get the Raybestos unit, it should be good and reliable, they won't risk their good name with poor quality stuff.

If it was a non-name brand, you might have some concern, but I think you're in good shape!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Humm, I seem to remember seeing aftermarket MC that were aluminum. Wilwood makes a 1-1/16" bore aluminum MC based on the Chrysler design. It's possible they may make smaller bore too. Some of the other aluminum aftermarket MC's use slotted mounts so they fit multiple applications. I guess what I'm saying is Rock Auto isn't your only choice.
    Todd

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Do I dare to say it.

I rather use a brand new one instead of buying an old used period correct one.
    I would have like something closer in look for the ``period correct`` even if I am modifying the car.

But yeah, didn`t wanna go the rebuilt way and wanted the 24mm upgrade so Chinese it is.

If others have used them I kinda feel more confortable of using it.
    You know you could always have used rebuilt ones re-anodized if your worried about the bore not being anodized after honing. I have seen many rebuilt ones that were so poor they were far worse than the one I took off to replace! They slap new seals on them and call them remanufactured... They are now NS1, but the 24mm ones Chrysler used to call remans, were 100% brand new. I probably bought a dozen of them over the years. Got a new reservoir with them too. All for around $60 (net).
    Todd

turbo addict

I was looking at the master cylinder on a new caravan the other day and wondered how hard it would be to make it fit. The body of the thing was only about 3.5in long. Would add a little room under the hood.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Making it fit may not be too bad, but you may get a funky pedal travel.

I'd like to see about the aftermarket MC's that 4 L-bodies was talking about, sound like it could be a nice setup.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
    Making it fit may not be too bad, but you may get a funky pedal travel.

I'd like to see about the aftermarket MC's that 4 L-bodies was talking about, sound like it could be a nice setup.
    Pushrod behind MC is threaded (adjustable). FYI- I wouldn't suggest adjusting it unless you are experiencing no/delayed braking when pedal is first depressed. Then take plenty of time to carefully measure before changing. This provided hours of head scratching on Nic Kuehns CSX one year at SDAC (perhaps SDAC 14). Hanging the MC slightly open at rest will create some peculiar issues.
    Here is the 1-1/16" bore http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-4894 Think they have a 1-1/8" too.
    Todd

turbo addict

I recently bought a MC at NAPA it was new not reman and was aluminum. It was for a D100 truck so may not get the same construction depending on application.

Hybrid booster

You got the 1 1/8 bore!
    probably why you have that aluminum body since the a/m for the 24mm is steel cast.

Didn't want to go that route mostly because I didn't wanna mess with fittings.
    Not a big deal, mind you but I have other corners to take care of if I wanna drive this summer.
    I knew the 24mm bore would (should) be enough for the 4x 11" disks swap.

Garrett booster

The new master cylinders from O'Reillys are aluminum. The part number for the 24mm master is NMC1983. The one I got was also anodized a dull gold color.