Thread: '89 CSX VNT Turbos...

Garrett booster

'89 CSX VNT Turbos...

are they rebuild-able? I DON'T have the '89 CSX, but am considering purchasing a low mileage one. I've read most folks, upon the failure of the original, swap the turbo out for an earlier type/model turbo. (Not sure if this has the original turbo). Also understand the swap cuts into the CSX's performance.
    Am trying to anticipate any possible headache down the road for a non-mechanic like myself, to whom (generally speaking), can I obtain parts/rebuilt turbo/whatever.....

Thanks!
    Wayne

Hybrid booster

Re: '89 CSX VNT Turbos...

They are. There are also new ones floating around. I appreciate the technology of the VNT and its objective to improve daily drivability, but there is a reason why most people - myself included - don't replace them. I recommend checking out the The Dodge Garage as if has lots of good info on the VNT, both on the dedicated page and posts by ChryCo engineers. Not to be duplicative, but the VNT was undersized for the 2.2, and the boost was difficult to contol. By swapping to a TII you will increase your hp potential, as the VNT is smaller and is pretty much maxed out at stock boost levels.

We rebuild the TIV VNT units for $350.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Garrett booster

Thanks (as always), for the info, (and if there's any more anyone else wants to add...please do)!
    FYI (So you know the 'method to my madness'): IF I pull the trigger and acquire the car, I'm not looking to upgrade/modify it, in fact, I WANT to keep it (as close to) stock as possible. Just want to know if KEEPING it running is possible for me, 'Mr. NON-mechanic'. Sounds good from what you folks are saying and services available!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie Fisher View Post
    They are. There are also new ones floating around. I appreciate the technology of the VNT and its objective to improve daily drivability, but there is a reason why most people - myself included - don't replace them. I recommend checking out the The Dodge Garage as if has lots of good info on the VNT, both on the dedicated page and posts by ChryCo engineers. Not to be duplicative, but the VNT was undersized for the 2.2, and the boost was difficult to contol. By swapping to a TII you will increase your hp potential, as the VNT is smaller and is pretty much maxed out at stock boost levels.
    I don't fully agree with this. The turbine section flows well enough to support over 200hp when it is adjusted correctly. The compressor is newer technology than the T3, though it is smaller, it is much like a Mitsu turbo in that it is efficient enough to make ok power, but not like the T3. Boost creep can usually be contributed to a misadjusted vane control canister (basically a wategate canister, but controlled in both directions by pneumatic pressure from the solenoids. If you only want to run stock boost, then don't got to 3" exhaust as a good majority of people have reported boost creep in that situation. However, if you want to push it a bit farther, then it would be ok.

There is an upgrade that was available for the compressor side. The one on the car is a VNT25. The upgrade is called the VNT27. I know it involves a larger compressor wheel, but I can't remember if the stock housing is machined to accept it, or if the housing is replaced completely. Not many people I know have have gone this route, so information on the actual performance is sketchy...unless somebody that has one wants to pipe up.

I had a friend of mine a long time ago that had a VNT Daytona and he turned up the wick to 18psi. The car would instantly smoke the tires in 1st and 2nd gear. It was a torque monster! No dyno pulls or time slips, he only drove it on the street.

Hybrid booster

The limitations of the VNT have been well documented, and much of the information has come from the inside. It was even discussed at this years SDAC tech session. The boost control on the VNT was an afterthought and was necessary as the turbos did not behave uniformly. For example, the previous owner of my VNT put on a Dynomax cat back - which I don't even think was 2.5" - and had creep and overboost issues. I never had a chance to experiment with it as it let go on me. I have also heard that the output of the TIV was overstated so it would have the same output as the TII. The fact performance was not degraged is a testament to impact of the reduction of lag, the main benefit of the VNT.
    For the OP's intentions, I don't think that any of this matters. My intent in bringing up the VNT's issues was to correct the impression the OP had that swapping the turbo to a conventional unit would hurt the car's performance, while I think that most people ditch the VNT for just that reason.

turbo addict

Well, my stock 1990 C/S-VNT Shadow ran 9.60's in the 1/8 @ 80MPH on street tires. That was easing it out of the hole and still spinning the tires in first and second gear. That was with a stock turbo,exhaust,ECMetc,boost peaking at 18psi. This car would run neck and neck with my SRT4 on a top end run to 120MPH+,that is when we let off. I have an upgraded VNT turbo,ECM upgrade,going to a 2 piece intake,upgraded exhaust, and some other upgrades that Iam keeping to myself when I get it going again. It should be interesting!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    Well, my stock 1990 C/S-VNT Shadow ran 9.60's in the 1/8 @ 80MPH on street tires. That was easing it out of the hole and still spinning the tires in first and second gear. That was with a stock turbo,exhaust,ECMetc,boost peaking at 18psi. This car would run neck and neck with my SRT4 on a top end run to 120MPH+,that is when we let off. I have an upgraded VNT turbo,ECM upgrade,going to a 2 piece intake,upgraded exhaust, and some other upgrades that Iam keeping to myself when I get it going again. It should be interesting!
    VERY nice!

Hybrid booster

My old vnt would run pretty good the first time you got on it but anything after that and heat soak in the intercooler ect killed performance, just something to keep in mind

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

FWDPerformance had a car with their upgraded vnt (which im pretty sure was a 60 trim or super60 t3 wheel in a machined compressor housing) and dyno'd it around ~270whp. So the exhaust side can flow way more than the stock compressor side.

But, i think if you upgrade the compressor side it's likely to compound existing boost control issues. There is the mod to grind on the vane lever to allow the vanes to open sooner, and there is the mod to convert the dual-port vane-control can to run off a manual boost controller which may help as well. I dont know if the combination of those two is a good enough solution, but i know for a fact that factory boost control ISNT.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    FWDPerformance had a car with their upgraded vnt (which im pretty sure was a 60 trim or super60 t3 wheel in a machined compressor housing) and dyno'd it around ~270whp. So the exhaust side can flow way more than the stock compressor side.

But, i think if you upgrade the compressor side it's likely to compound existing boost control issues. There is the mod to grind on the vane lever to allow the vanes to open sooner, and there is the mod to convert the dual-port vane-control can to run off a manual boost controller which may help as well. I dont know if the combination of those two is a good enough solution, but i know for a fact that factory boost control ISNT.
    I'am going to add an external wastegate to further control boost and relieve even a little more backpressure. I think a VNT can end up making alot more power than people realize. It definitely needs a bigger compressor to make more power though. I would like to have one built with at least a 50trim T4 compressor to try out.

I dont know if you've seen my VNT pics but i have a T4 compressor and an adapter plate to fit it to my VNT center section. The housing is t04b-size and the wheel is smaller than a 50 trim t4, closer to a gt3071 compressor. I think it measures 48/71mm ind/exd iirc. Im also planning to put an external wastegate on it. So we have the same idea... we already know it can make at least 270whp, but how much MORE than THAT? Hopefully one of us will find out.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I dont know if you've seen my VNT pics but i have a T4 compressor and an adapter plate to fit it to my VNT center section. The housing is t04b-size and the wheel is smaller than a 50 trim t4, closer to a gt3071 compressor. I think it measures 48/71mm ind/exd iirc. Im also planning to put an external wastegate on it. So we have the same idea... we already know it can make at least 270whp, but how much MORE than THAT? Hopefully one of us will find out.
    I feel you are headed in the right direction with that idea!! A good flowing compressor with almost no lag from the VNT design, with the exhaust flowing better than stock, and with the peak boost controlled by an external wastegate,I feel that combo could be very fun!!!

turbo addict

my dad bought 2 brand new VNTs off ebay last year for around $500 each, came with everything even the coolant and oil fittings that attache to the center section, and a Wastegate actuator. SO they are around if you are worried about keeping it running. And there are many ways as these guys have said to give the VNT performance, There is one guy running in the 13s with his 89 CSX and VNT turbo

Yeah, ive heard of at least two CSX on stock vnt running 13.6, and i think turboshelbys (user on this forum) might have gone quicker by now, cant remember. But that's full weight cars. Really, they have at least as good a compressor section as the mitsu and there are people on this forum who have driven mitsu-turbo sundances to `13.1@99 iirc.