View Poll Results: How do you like your LM?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Super please!

11 91.67%
  • Just flashable would work for me.

0 0%
  • I like swapping chips...

1 8.33%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flashable LM or Super LM?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Flashable LM or Super LM?

There might be a roadblock to using this board with an '85 LM. The SDS input goes to the port expander chip on the '85 and straight to the processor on the '87. I don't yet know about the '86 LM's. The problem there is, the SDS needs to go the processor to be timed correctly. I'm not sure how they did it in '85, but it must have been much less precise than later years.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Well, the '85 has the same pin-out a an '86, right? If so, can always just switch to an '86 LM in an '85.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Well, the '85 has the same pin-out a an '86, right? If so, can always just switch to an '86 LM in an '85.
    Actually, it may not be a problem. On the '87 LM, 14-Blue is open, and that's the pin connected to the SDS on the on '85 (and I assume '86?). On the '86, 9-Red is open; which is the SDS on the '87. So, I think they just switched inputs. I'm going to check and see if 14-Blue goes to the same pin on the port expander as it does on the '85. If it does, it might simply be a matter of having to move a pin on the '85 LM connector (from 14-B to 9-R) so that the SDS input goes to the right place for the SuperLM board.

BTW, I'm mostly finished with the circuit diagram in Eagle (PCB editor software). Now, I hit another snag laying out the board. The 'free' version of Eagle only allows a PCB 3.2x4". The LM is 5" wide. So, I can't make a board big enough to pickup all the pins I need. I'll have to break down and buy a license.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

When it comes time, I think I'll be able to power up the LM on my bench and reflash it. But, testing it in a car is a different story. I don't have an LM car. And, with basically unique code, there will need to be some testing for sure. It's way too tough to debug code over the internet.

Is there anyone following in the Ann Arbor area (or at least SE Michigan) that has an '87 LM powered car that would be willing to let me spend some time with your car testing the SuperLM?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

SDS is no issue. The 86 and 87 each have the same inputs possible for the SDS. So, I think this will also work with an '85-86 LM; assuming it has the parts added to the board to run the 4-wire AIS; and it has the SDS wire moved to Red-9 from Blue-14.

This also means that the 'spare' input could be used for switching cals or something else (digital input only, sorry can't use it for an analog channel). Is the switchable cal thing really all that interesting with a flashable LM?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Well it might nice to switch from a low boost to a high boost cal on the fly without having to have the laptop with you. Or switch from gas to E85.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Well it might nice to switch from a low boost to a high boost cal on the fly without having to have the laptop with you. Or switch from gas to E85.
    Boost switch would be easy; complete cal switch (like E85/gas) is trickier, but still possible. Basically, the LM has an extra digital input, we can do whatever we want with it in software...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

i'ld be all for a cal switch - flipping from a regular gas to e85 race cal would be great.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

turbo addict
    +1 on this. I plan on running e85 on my setup and 2 different boost settings due to my high compression. Would be nice to go from a 93 low boost setting to a e85 high boost setting.

BTW do you still want my 85 LM for reference. If so I need your address to ship.

Paul
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    +1 on this. I plan on running e85 on my setup and 2 different boost settings due to my high compression. Would be nice to go from a 93 low boost setting to a e85 high boost setting.

BTW do you still want my 85 LM for reference. If so I need your address to ship.

Paul
    I have quite a collection of LM's. I went thru them all last night. I don't think there will be a hardware issue to using this on any turbo LM from '85 to '87 as long as it has the hardware (transistors/diodes) to run the 4-wire AIS. Not sure what's different on the LM between a 3/4-wire O2 and a 1-wire O2. That could be an issue for the SuperLM Software as I only plan to support the T2 style setups (4-wire AIS, 4-wire O2, etc.). So, if you want to run the Super LM on a log T1, it won't really be supported.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict
    No my car is going t2 status.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just a little update - I'm still working on the SuperLM board. The circuit design is basically done. I copied T/SMECv19 and have started re-coding it to be used in the SuperLM Board. I want to go thru the code completely before I lay out the board just in case there is an issue with I/O that forces a change to the IO mapping. As soon as I get the IO re-mapped in the code, I'll lay out the board and get a couple made for testing. I hope I can have them at SDAC this year - for showing off and testing...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

So this is basically all the advantages of an ostrich setup with a massive brain upgrade? Will it be able to flash on the go? Def interested! Subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Khajjathefang View Post
    So this is basically all the advantages of an ostrich setup with a massive brain upgrade? Will it be able to flash on the go? Def interested! Subscribed.
    It's just a brain upgrade. It won't flash on-the-fly like an Ostrich.

But, it will be able to be reflashed in-car like my Modified SMEC and SBEC. So, no more chip swapping. And, you get a more robust instruction set, more RAM, better capabilities, etc. Everything we can do with a SMEC, can then be done with the LM.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

So pull over, shut down, flash adjustments, start and go? Still pretty damn sweet. The computer end on the cable is USB? No external power source needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Khajjathefang View Post
    So pull over, shut down, flash adjustments, start and go? Still pretty damn sweet. The computer end on the cable is USB? No external power source needed?
    Right, it will use the same USB-SCI cable that the SBEC Uses, and the same flash procedure as the SBEC. I have to multiplex the Boot signal onto the Rx line just like on the SBEC because there's no unused pins on the LM to map the boot signal onto easily.

Flashing will take probably about 10 seconds. But, yes; you will have to turn the car off to flash a new cal.

I haven't decided for sure if or how I can do it, but it may be possible to have a switchable cal built in also.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

So, the IO swapping is a bit more complicated than I thought it would be; but in the end I think the SuperLM code will be simpler than the SMEC. The SMEC IO chips are kind of funky to interface to. I'm keeping the LM IO chip intact to make things as easy as possible.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'll buy two or three, let me know when you are ready.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

yeah ill be buying 1 for my reliant.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Mitsu booster

Rather than plopping down the cash for a license for Eagle, perhaps you might try KiCad. Changing PCB CAD software is never terribly fun, but once you have the hang of one (Eagle in this case), moving to another isn't impossible. It'll get you around the size limitation, as well as the "non commercial use" clause in Eagle.
    Have you considered just building a complete new mainboard for the logic module? Then it'd just be a case of desoldering the old connectors from any year/model of logic module, and putting them onto this new one.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast