Thread: MPScan and USB to SCI cable

Mitsu booster

MPScan and USB to SCI cable

I have tried to figure this out through searching all over but for some reason cannot. with a 89SMEC can you use MPScan to view and log memory values without any modification such as the flash chip? Board is socketed but just wondering if I can buy only the cable and datalog with just that and a laptop? As i can figure out in order to flash while in car you would need the flashable chip as well as the cable and wire added to computer harness for 12v to flash.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: MPScan and USB to SCI cable

Yes, you can datalog a stock SMEC with MP Scan. You don't need the extra wire, that's only used for flashing.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

Thanks ShelGame. You also need the flash chip for flashing right? Its like a RAM module to replace the ROM chip? Just want to make sure iv got a handle on this. Once this massive amount of snow is gone I am going to pick up my GLH and TII Daytona donor car and want to have my research done before then.

Also wondering what kind of resolution you get on the data coming in. obviously depends how many memory locations you are watching at a time. Is it fairly quick to refresh?

Quote Originally Posted by 88lebaron1 View Post
    Thanks ShelGame. You also need the flash chip for flashing right? Its like a RAM module to replace the ROM chip? Just want to make sure iv got a handle on this. Once this massive amount of snow is gone I am going to pick up my GLH and TII Daytona donor car and want to have my research done before then.

Also wondering what kind of resolution you get on the data coming in. obviously depends how many memory locations you are watching at a time. Is it fairly quick to refresh?
    Well, in the SMEC, it's a little more involved than just replacing the chip with the flash module as it needs some wires added from other places on the board (control lines for flashing). And, due to space (height) limitations, the flash module won't fit in a socket. So, it's pretty much a one-time conversion for the SMEC. You can't go back to chip swapping.

The SBEC and SBECII are different, the flash module can be added to those pretty much just like a chip. And, you can always go back to a chip later.

Datalogging has a total max bandwidth of about 300 samples/sec max. So, if you choose 10 channels to watch, you get about 3 samples/sec, etc. I think it (I don't remember now) you can set some channels up to log slower. For example, coolant temp doesn't really need 3 samples/sec.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

i typically (in a smec) see anywhere from 300 to 430 bytes returned per second at 62500 baud. so a 10 location sample would/should return around 30 samples per sec. the latency built into the ftdi cable and usb polling methods introduce some inherent delays, although you have to admit it's still a pretty good logging rate. as rob mentioned you can set a "priority" on each location. i think it's 1 to 10 if i remember (been awhile!!). so a location/gauge with a priority of 1 will be sampled every sample while a priority 10 will be sampled every 10th sample. typically start with a logging rate of 50 to 100 mS per sample and a display rate of around 150 to 200 mS. also, with the FTDI cable make sure you install and activate the VCP driver and also set your latency to 2 mS. even tho mpscan tries to force the latency to 2 when it runs it's probably best just to set it to 2 as the default.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Mitsu booster

Thanks a bunch guys. I will be puting in an order soon with you ShelGame.

I was just on your site ShelGame starting an order and it said both the SCI cable and the27sf512 ships are out of stock. When is the ETA on those? I dont want to put in an order for things you dont even have. I hate waiting for things iv already paid for.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    Saved for reference!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by 88lebaron1 View Post
    Thanks a bunch guys. I will be puting in an order soon with you ShelGame.

I was just on your site ShelGame starting an order and it said both the SCI cable and the27sf512 ships are out of stock. When is the ETA on those? I dont want to put in an order for things you dont even have. I hate waiting for things iv already paid for.
    Oops, sorry. They're both in stock. I'll go update the catalog...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki