Thread: Has anyone done any of the Chump Car races??

Thumbs up Has anyone done any of the Chump Car races??

My son and I are thinking about getting a car together for some of the Chump Car events. Information about the series can be found here,

http://www.chumpcar.com

We would like to run the event at Watkins Glen. It consists of 2 races each 7 1/2 endurance.

If you have any experience with the Chump Car Series, we'd like to hear about your experiences.

The car we plan to build is an 84 turbo 600 sedan. Any suggestions you have regarding the build up are welcomed!!!

It does have the early electronics. It also has the 4 lug pattern hubs (which most likely represent problems fitting a competitive wheel and tire. The rules require a treadwear of 180 or greater.

Also, I'm certain that wheel, brake and suspension upgrades (stock components) are in order, any thoughts or donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Guy

turbo addict

Re: Has anyone done any of the Chump Car races??

There was a person on there that has. From his experience I can tell you this: BIG radiator, try to run an oil cooler if you can get one cheap, big transmission cooler if you can get one cheap, run good oil, run the best brakes you can afford (flush the system and get some of the Ford truck HD brake fluid...cheap man's racing brake fluid!).

Basically, make the car reliable and able to resist overheating. Lighten it up. Make it as simple as possible mechanically. Bring spare parts and fluids if you can. Understand and know that the car is not going to come out of this looking very good, or (most probably) running very good, and quite possibly not in 1 piece.

HAVE FUN!! I wish I could get in on this type of stuff...maybe one day.