Thread: 1986 G-body Digital Dash into later model

Hybrid booster

1986 G-body Digital Dash into later model

I came across a 86 Lazer today, was great to find a g body with almond interior so I could grab a few things I needed. Grabbed the digital dash, since it looked really clean, even though the buttons need to be replaced. I grabbed as much of the harness from it as possible, so I could splice together into a later car. Will this dash work with a later g body, I would think it should. But I don't have the 86 wiring diagrams book, but I do have 87-88. Does anyone have 86 diagrams so I can figure out which wires to splice together. I always thought those digital dashes looked cool.

Re: 1986 G-body Digital Dash into later model

It should be pretty easy to wire into any 84-89 Daytona. The 90+ cars are another story since they went to a data bus for many of the sensor signals.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

turbo addict

I *think* the wiring is pretty much the same for the digi-dashes from '95-'89 in G-bodies. I hope you got the wiring harness terminal ends, because they are completely different for the digital dash.

In 90 the entire thing changed. They have their own digital dash which MUST be run with the correct BCM, and there is some extra wiring that must be done as well. If you have experience doing stuff like that it's not too horrible. If not...it'll be a pretty big challenge.

I *think* I've heard of *1* person sticking an older ('85-'89 style) digital dash in a '90-up car, but I am not 100%. It required modding the cluster and making some spacers and such. I have NO clue how they wired it, and to me, it looked strange.

BTW, in case you are interested the '90-91.5 digital dashes are different than the '91.5-'92. They require that the correct BCM be used with them, otherwise they will not work. It has to do with the CCD bus data transfer, which is required to run those dashes. There are quite a few write ups on this topic and one VERY detailed one over on TD. Do a search with either myself or NAJ as a contributor and you'll find it.

Hybrid booster

basically all I need to know is if the 86 digital will work in a 87-88 (I have both years) and the 86 wiring diagrams for the dash wiring. I have the 87-88 wiring books but not 86. Just want to be sure of what I am reading, even though the 85-86 digital dash looks different from the 87-89 digital dash the wiring for them is the same? Don't have any Daytona's newer than 88, so not worried about the 90+ cars. I did grab a good 8-9 inches of wiring harness and the plugs along with the dash. Thanks for the replies!

Hybrid booster

'86+'87 funtion with two brains, '88 is when mother went to just one. I think you should be covered with the '87 Manual

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarneycars View Post
    '86+'87 funtion with two brains, '88 is when mother went to just one. I think you should be covered with the '87 Manual
    You are talking about the ECM. That has nothing to do with the wiring of the dash inside the car.

I think you should be ok with the manuals you have, but you really want the '86 manuals just in case, contact NAJ on TD.