Thread: Borg Warner EFR turbos

turbo addict

Borg Warner EFR turbos

So I've been browsing around turbo selections and I found the Borg Warner EFR series.

For my eventual goals I need around 630-650whp, which means over 700chp. So, I've been looking at the EFR8374 with the divded .92 twin scroll with internal gates.

Opinions?

Please remember I do not drag race this car and transient response from the turbo is VERY important to me, so journal turbos are out!

turbo addict

Re: Borg Warner EFR turbos

Did you try out the match bot on borg warners website? Pretty frickin' cool http://www.turbodriven.com/en/perfor.../matchbot.aspx

turbo addict

Yes I did! I agree it's pretty darn cool! For the power I'm looking for the 9180 actually fits a little better based on my guessing of BSFC and such on the Match Bot, but I want to be able to turn it down when needed, so I think I'd actually end up surging it under those conditions. Not to mention that one isn't available with the internal gate. That twin scroll, internally gated option is a huge thing for me.

turbo addict

Why the high hp goal if you're not drag racing? How much power can you get to the ground on the street or road course.? Just trying to understand your very high hp goal here.

turbo addict

My ultimate goal is to compete in the Silver State Classic. I want the car to eventually be running in one of the upper classes (170 or 180mph..it's changed over the years as to what the ranges are). In those classes you aren't limited to your trap speeds that there are in some sections of the course. I'd like the car to be able to comfortably hit and sustain 200+mph. I'm figuring with powertrain losses, friction, and drag, that's around what it is going to take to meet my goal.

Don't get me wrong, the car will NOT be turned up that high all the time. As a matter of fact, it will probably tool around in the 350-400 range most of the time simply because more is pretty useless in FWD. (and then there's my alternative plan if I can't get a modified stock tranny to hold up)

turbo addict

Maybe you need two turbos, one for everday use and one for the Silver state.

turbo addict

That actually came to mind, too! LMAO. I've been pretty much eyeballing the Holset turbos that are pretty popular right now simply due to cost and their ability to perform at high boost levels. I just don't like the journal bearing cartridge. However, then I go to thinking "just get it running!!!". It's a huge battle in my head!

Garrett booster

This is my buddies efr build he's a great person to talk to about them.
    http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=381305

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Reaper1 - A few years back I got a Masi 16v setup from a guy in Boise that was building a car to do land speed racing at Bonneville in a car he built (he called it a streamliner) and it was to be powered by a destroked 2.0L Masi setup. The turbo he was going to use was a (as far as I can tell/measure) a T67/P-trim with a HUGE compressor housing (.55 A/R) and divided T3 turbine housing (1.00 A/R). I asked him if he still had the stock Masi turbocharger and he said 'no' but I do have this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turbocharger 3-2011 004.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	473.9 KB 
ID:	44816

The compressor housing is so large it uses 8 bolts to secure it to the backplate. Just food for thought.

turbo addict

I have my stock Masi turbo....trade ya!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Jog my memory here, is this the "new platform" BW's that came out a cpl years ago? All in one pkging if I recall? If so I remember seeing one in a mag. Everything I read and saw looked good. The only thing I remember Not liking was the 4" + straight exit off the turbine housing. Don't get me wrong, the idea is right, it just looked like it would be very difficult to fit in a tight area.

If this IS the style of BW your talking about, then I haven't read anything negative about them and the one your looking at will fit your HP goals nicely, as long as fitment isn't an issue

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

that is the style of turbo, with the integrated bov, and available with the integrated wastegate. spendy but nice.
    with the 8374 you'll be at the upper limits with the chp you want to make. it'd say its better to go one size up and make that power without pumping a ton of heat of pushing the ragged edge of the compressors map. easy to turn down a big turbo, not so easy to really max out a smaller turbo without carefull work.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shayne View Post
    that is the style of turbo, with the integrated bov, and available with the integrated wastegate. spendy but nice.
    with the 8374 you'll be at the upper limits with the chp you want to make. it'd say its better to go one size up and make that power without pumping a ton of heat of pushing the ragged edge of the compressors map. easy to turn down a big turbo, not so easy to really max out a smaller turbo without carefull work.
    The 8374 is already a 750WHP capable turbo and Transient response is his goal, so based on that I would actually go Down a size myself

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!