Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with turbo big block

Garrett booster

help with turbo big block

Hi all, im new here and hoping to get some help with a project I'm working on, I'm restoring a 68 Dodge d100 with a 400 big block that im going to rebuild, I want to put a turbo setup on it (obviously) im trying to do this for as cheap as I can. I'm not looking to build anything to radical and as inexpensive as I can without cutting corners or anything, im looking to keep this thing under 6000 rpm I want a low rpm torque monster. Now I know buying used turbos can be scary but I feel that I have enough knowledge of turbos to hopefully pick some good ones. So my first thought was to use a couple turbos from some eclipses/talons but wasnt really sure if these were enough for this big of a motor, than I thought about maybe one from a cummins? Really want to go the twin turbo route, but im sure doing a single would be cheaper, so I'm looking for any good advice on these thoughts of mine but open to others. Ultimate goal is 500+ torque with out going crazy putting money in the engines itself, I plan on using upgraded rings and bearings arp bolts things like that, I know these 400 big blocks are pretty strong so I don't think my 500 Mark is to crazy! Thanks for looking can't wait for responses back

Hybrid booster

Re: help with turbo big block

Cool project! I have a 72 D100 with a 440 and 4 speed I have thought about going the turbo route to.

Will the engine be converted to FI or kept with a Carb?

Garrett booster

Thanks man your project as well sounds cool, love old Dodge trucks I'm thinking about converting mine to a 4spd from a b-body or something. Plans are to use a carb

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Go EFI with a Holset (or two), you won't be sorry.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

What are yoru plans? Cruiser? Racer? Dyno king?

For a medium build on 400ci twin Garrett T03's would do OK... not sure if you would need to go bigger though cuz I think carbs may get tricky at anything above 5psi boost.

+1 for EFI

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

K so I guess im going to look into a efi setup, I imagine they aint cheap but maybe I can find something used, I'm looking to make mostly a cruiser that might see a little track time. Well time to search online for a efi system and look into holsets a little more! Thanks for the feedback so far

The best EFI ECU "bang for the buck" (especially if you like DIY electronics) is probably Megasquirt...

Another option would be to find a used FAST classic EFI, Electromotive, Hlatech or other older system that still does what it was designed to do at a fraction of the cost of a new Big Stuff III, AEM, XFI, etc..

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Garrett booster

You guys are awesome so much helpful info already! Thanks for the links and different efi options looks like I got some Internet surfing to do, again thank you!

turbo addict

I would look at using a megasquirt with Ford EDIS for ignition. That way you won't have to worry about your advance curve and having to run a MSD retard box. See if you can source a used Holley EFI throttle body and either have an intake modified or buy the Edelbrock already set up for EFI.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    I would look at using a megasquirt with Ford EDIS for ignition. That way you won't have to worry about your advance curve and having to run a MSD retard box. See if you can source a used Holley EFI throttle body and either have an intake modified or buy the Edelbrock already set up for EFI.
    Since I already got the perfect intake for this and have found a guy online that can machine it I'm going to go that route seeing how the edelbrock is for the raised block motors it would need to be machined anyways, think I might go with the megasquirt setup you mentioned or I was looking at fast systems as well but need to check into pricing. Thanks for the advice it helps a lot, probably one of the most helpful forums ive been to yet

Megasquirt is cheap, but it's just the computer. If you get it, make sure you get the harness for it also. Then you have to buy all the sensors, build your fuel sytem (rails, injectors, pump, throttle body, regulator etc), buy the parts for the ignition system and mount them... not that it can't be done cheap still, but it does add up. Buy a complete system, and you get most, if not all of that system at once and just install it and start tuning. You will need a laptop to tune any of them.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Quote Originally Posted by moparmorrell View Post
    Thanks for the advice it helps a lot, probably one of the most helpful forums ive been to yet
    We got a great group of Turbo and Shelby Dodge hot rodders here...

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Megasquirt is cheap, but it's just the computer. If you get it, make sure you get the harness for it also. Then you have to buy all the sensors, build your fuel sytem (rails, injectors, pump, throttle body, regulator etc), buy the parts for the ignition system and mount them... not that it can't be done cheap still, but it does add up. Buy a complete system, and you get most, if not all of that system at once and just install it and start tuning. You will need a laptop to tune any of them.
    Good point on the periferals... Most EFI setups are just the electronics (ECU and harness, maybe sensors) and you have to build your own fuel supply while some others are more "systems" and come with fuel and ignition systems bundled

For sensors... Most EFI systems need the following sensors:

MAP - 3-Bar good to ~30psi
    02 - get system with WB (wideband) feedback and it will pay for itself in incredibly easier tuning
    TPS
    Coolant Temp
    Charge Air Temp

...Some also use Knock Sensor and AIS (idle)

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

yeah you guys deffintely know your stuff, im thinking i might look for a more complete system, im sure i could figure it all out but for my first turbo project i want to make it as easy as i can and spending a little extra money wont kill me! im sure yourtired of me saying this every post but thanks again you guys rock and im going to use this forum religiously

I didn't read all this, but there is no way in hell a DSM turbo is large enough (even two is quesitonable). I could however see a Holset working fine.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbodaytona87 View Post
    I didn't read all this, but there is no way in hell a DSM turbo is large enough (even two is quesitonable). I could however see a Holset working fine.
    ive been leaning towards holsets anyways, i know one dsm deffintely wouldnt work but i figured two might but thats why im here asking you guys. but with that suggestion im deffintly going the holset direction

turbo addict

Maybe an HX55 for a single?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    Maybe an HX55 for a single?
    Are these something I can find used easily?

And for my next questions what mods need to be done to the diesel turbos to work? If any

As long as you have the correct exhaust flange and oil fitting it'll work like any other turbo. My friend had a turbo Gram Am that ran a holset.

Pair of HX35's and a good intercooler would probably work good for his goals.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast