Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Going to upgrade to an air/water intercooler

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Going to upgrade to an air/water intercooler

I have to take a pic of the little fill tank I have, much smaller, maybe too small but a convenient size. It has a pressure cap and regular pressure cap barb for overflow and it has in/out ports in 3/8" NPT. One line to the fill tank will run to it from the highest elevation side of the intercooler's coolant end tank, while the other port/barb, as Jay said, will run down hill to a T on the return (lower pressure) side of the coolant loop (between the IC and the pump) to allow suction to pull clean airless coolant down from the fill tank.

I'm wondering what PSI the cap should have. What PSI cap ratings do the super charged cars' tanks run?

I don't know, will the system get hot enough to actually lift a pressure cap and then need a bottle to suck back from? If ambient is 70* and the system rises to 150*, then yeah . . . . a 3 or 5 pound cap will lift but not a higher rated 212* 12 or 15 pound cap.

I'm thinking of using the windshield washer tank as a convenient overflow reservoir. There is no serious incompatibility between the two fluids - windshield washer and coolant - especially if overflow and suckback are rare events.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Coolant smeared by wipers sucks. Sucks badly.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

After installing a reservoir in my friends system I'm pretty sure the is very little to zero pressure. Before the reservoir there was a lot because we could never get all the air out of the system. So the air in the water would heat up and if you took off the cap to the system it'd blow out all over.

Also anxiously waiting on pics and info about your reservoir John.

Here's pics of (1) the small fill tank, (2) the bottom of the IC - the two mounting aluminum tabs that connect to the steel bracket that bolts to the 520's bell housing, (3) the steel bracket as it bolts to those two tabs, (4) the warped DSM flange that I had to mill file flat (5) the rear bracket that bolts to the compressor face (with the small fill tank also seen), another view of the flange filing, and another view of the steel bottom bracket in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polk Water 008.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	508.9 KB 
ID:	50783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polk Water 009.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	433.2 KB 
ID:	50784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polk Water 010.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	461.6 KB 
ID:	50785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polk Water 012.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	496.4 KB 
ID:	50786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polk Water 057.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	505.4 KB 
ID:	50787   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polk Water 013.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	513.6 KB 
ID:	50791  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polk Water 054.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	486.4 KB 
ID:	50790  
    Last edited by johnl; 06-30-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Thanks for posting your progress John. I'm going to be going to Mega Squirt in the van so I can get rid of my distributor and put my new larger intercooler on the side of the head. You've given me a lot of good possible mounting ideas.

turbo addict

so what's the reservoir out of?

I was told that it is out of something Swedish, a Saab or maybe a Volvo. Steel, nicely welded up out of a piece of square tube.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Found this to control the heat exchanger fans -

http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/167...11#moreDetails

Couldn't find a 12 volt DC sending unit that would switch on, with a relay, at 100* or thereabouts.

Got some 5-6" motorcycle fans at the junkyard, $10 each. One off a Kawi EX500, another off a Kawi 600 Ninja, and a third off of a Honda V4 Vulcan. Getting two of them mounted inside the bumper along with the exchanger will be a treat. Also grabbed the oil cooler off of an air/oil cooled Suzuki 1100 Bandit along with the hoses; they have versatile banjo fittings at both ends.
    Last edited by johnl; 07-02-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I think you're wasting your time, money, and resources by putting a fan on the heat exchanger (if it's not located somewhere up front). I put mine in front of my radiator. If I need to cool off my heat exchanger, I just turn on my radiator fan.

See page 2, post #33 for pics of the heat exchanger.

It is well in front of the radiator, squeezed inside the aluminum Charger bumper that sits inside the nose cone/fascia; the distance between the heat exchanger and the radiator is too far from the radiator fan for it to pull air through the exchanger. There's a lot of room in that Charger fascia.
    Last edited by johnl; 07-03-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Cut the brackets off the fans and reused them to fabricate the mounting of the two fans. Tapped the bumper for the four little screws while the top mounts had nuts spot welded to the bracket so just drilled and bolted those. Split some 1/8 vacuum tube and slipped/taped it onto the shrouds' bare edges to protect the exchanger from those edges.

Name:	Dual Ht Exchanger Fans.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	534.9 KB 
ID:	50869  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

That is a great idea John! I wish it weren't going to be in front my IC, otherwise I would look for a condenser for the AC for my car with those dimensions! Great use of space!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Great thread guys.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Thanks to Jon and Simon from me and A.J.

Here's pics of the Volvo oil cooler which will hang below the bumper, the pics are of the bumper upside down side.

There are two pieces of aluminum channel, the same stuff used for the upper intercooler bracket, that allow the cooler to stand off from the bottom of the bumper in a token effort to allow some clean, unheated, air to get through to the main engine radiator. Since it is difficult to get nuts into the gap between the intercooler exchanger and the bumper, I elected to drill and tap the bumper for the oil cooler's fasteners.

Name:	Ramperati Oil Cooler 001.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	529.8 KB 
ID:	50909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramperati Oil Cooler 003.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	504.7 KB 
ID:	50910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramperati Oil Cooler 004.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	517.7 KB 
ID:	50911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Volvo Oil Cooler Part Number. .jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	477.4 KB 
ID:	50912  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

The thermostat arrived today, a pleasant surprise in that both the control pot/relay and the lead wire to the thermocouple are small, making both mounting the box and insertion of the sensor inside the hose feasible.

Name:	Temperature Control 001.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	524.5 KB 
ID:	50916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temperature Control 005.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	469.8 KB 
ID:	50917  
    Last edited by johnl; 07-11-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Since a nylon ferrule in a 1/8" NPT compression fitting nicely compresses down to the OD of the thermocouple, I'll be placing it in the hot side coolant end tank of the IC and not between a hose barb and the heater hose.

Name:	Thermostat w Compression fitting 002.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	50935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thermostat w Compression fitting 007.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	470.1 KB 
ID:	50936  
    Last edited by johnl; 07-11-2014 at 07:53 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

turbo addict

The hot side of the i/c is going to see way hotter temps than the 240 degree limit on that controller. I would think that you'd want it in the water outlet side of the i/c, if the water get's say above 100 degrees then kick the fans on. No???

Jay, I could have been more clear and I just edited above to try to fix it.

The thermocouple will be placed in the wet, on the wet hot side of the intercooler, the first place that heat, transferred from the hot air to the coolant, can be "seen" in the coolant. And, of course, while the air coming out of the compressor may well get that high, the coolant should never get anywhere near 240*

The second pic attempts to show (badly) the thermocouple's placement in the wet end tank that will be the output side of coolant from the intercooler from which it leaves for the exchanger up front in the bumper.

As for determining the turn on temp, there are two contact screws on end cap of the unit next to where the thermocouple's wire enters and I suspect that I will be able to connect a Fluke to them to read, and - on the bench - precisely set, the turn on temperature.
    Last edited by johnl; 07-11-2014 at 07:59 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

turbo addict

cool John, we're on the same page then. Just couldn't tell from the 2nd pic it was in the water manifold.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234