Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going to upgrade to an air/water intercooler

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: Going to upgrade to an air/water intercooler

Sounds like the only test left is that of time FTR my Bosch is still going strong after over 2 years.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Mounting bracketry in progress. Top rear holds side to side, bottom front and rear hold it front to rear. No pic of rear - too hard for phone camera to see it - but it is of same design as bottom front. One bolt for bottom but three for the top. Being well secured, hopefully hoses will be less likely to blow off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWIC Bracketry 006.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	428.9 KB 
ID:	50606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWIC Bracketry 007.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	502.8 KB 
ID:	50610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWIC Bracketry 001.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	454.4 KB 
ID:	50612  
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hybrid booster

Looks familiar...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1768.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	50627   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1767.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	50628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1766.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	50629   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1764.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	50630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1763.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	50631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1762.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	50632  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1754.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	50633  

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Wow. That looks slick!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Here's how I have it setup in my Lebaron

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0170.jpg 
Views:	805 
Size:	497.9 KB 
ID:	50641
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Hybrid booster

Rob does that intercooler work well? I have no experience with air to water until I get mine running.

Seems to, I can hot lap at the dragstrip about 3 times before the intercooler starts getting warm. And that's with no reservoir. Good enough to run 80mph in the 8th on 22 psi on a stock turbo in a heavy Lebaron.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

From the experience setting one up in a friends van a reservoir is a MUST Also having a bleed hole drilled in the top of one of the water manifold blocks on the i/c is also a must. Otherwise you'll never get all the air out. Basically you want to set it up as a modern cars pressurized overflow system.

I would definitely recommend having a reservoir. I drilled a bleed hole in the end tank on my IC also, I leave it plugged once I've bled it because it interferes with the main flow otherwise. A smaller hole (like 3/16 maybe) or a restrictor would probably work attached to the filler neck as a constant bleed without slowing main flow.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

From my live pump testing of the complete system on the engine stand, I found that the pump can do a very good job of purging all air if you run it/fill it from a bucket in a cyclic but open to atmosphere loop. That is the top/uphill end of the system dumps into the bucket which then feeds the "low side" from above the pump/heat exchanger.

I used a piece of clear vinyl hose running to my reservoir to better see the amount of bubbles in the flow. With the cap off the reservoir it was a geyser which also dumped into the bucket. After a minute or two I got clear quiet flow with no bubbles. The reservoir is from some kind of turbo Volvo; it will reside uphill below the windshield and between the windshield washer tank and the windshield washer motor. There is a 1/8 npt bleed, also at the back of the IC. In the setup I took care to ensure that the back of the IC is uphill.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

Hybrid booster

I was wondering if the pump might be able to purge the air by itself with the turbulence it creates, sounds like it does. I was wondering where to drill the bleed hole as to not damage the internal fins and cause a water leak into my air stream. I may leave that bleed out now. Good idea with the clear tubing, I may do clear permanently for a visual of air. Thanks for all the input as I am currently setting my system up now too.

Thanks for the kind words, Joel.

You have to have a bleed hole. Too hard to purge air without one.

As you say, it should be in one of the water end tanks, not in the center area where the tubes and fins are. I'd pick whichever end (corner of that end too) is the most uphill, and plumb the system so that it is also on the side where coolant is leaving the intercooler, so the coolant pushes the air through and out of the tubes and then into the end tank where the bleed hole lets it out. I will temporarily put a 1/8 npt needle valve (with a hose barb and a hose into a catch can) in the bleed hole when I first get it going, to allow a controlled bleed of the air instead of a gusher of air and coolant. Six gallons a minute is more than it sounds like. Later, I'll swap back in the 1/8 NPT plug.

I thought the same thing - just use clear tubing - but having figured out how to purge it effectively, I'm comfortable with "blind" heater hose and it is more appropriate/automotive.

What are you using for an overflow/radiator cap/fill point?
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Hybrid booster

I dont have the tank yet, but was considering one of those aluminum cxracing tanks with the radiator cap on the top. Probably weld some 3/4" inlet and outlets on the bottom so that the air bubble rise inside as it passes through. I also considered just un bolting the intercooler and tipping it up to purge the air then placing it back in the car all while the pump is on.

The tank has to be the highest point in the system and it should feed coolant down to the high point of the intercooler.

In most setups the heat exchanger/radiator will be below the intercooler, so that means that the ones with a radiator cap on them are useless. And, the larger tanks we see on ebay are likely too big to place anywhere that is above the intercooler. That leaves you with a need for a small tank with radiator filler/pressure cap to mount on the firewall, and that assumes that your spot on the firewall is above the intercooler. If not, then it has to be up in the tray below the windshield where the wiper motor and wiper fluid reservoir reside.

Also, the feed line from the small filler tank should be routed uphill with no dips that might prevent bubbles from getting away from the intercooler and traveling up to the filler tank.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Or you can relocate the battery and put the tank there, if you mount the intercooler like mine. That's what I plan to do. And then route the air intake down and around into the forward inner fender area.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Rob, in the pic in post #45 it looks like your fill cap is slightly above the top coolant run of the tank and I assume that you have some sort of bleed on the intercooler's coolant end tank to allow the air that is trapped above the big heater hose barb that is centered on, and therefore below, the top coolant run of the coolant end tank.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

turbo addict

Really that Volvo "overflow" tank is the best thing I've seen out there. It's small but not too small, has a port for the bleed line and a nice bracket to make it mount easily anywhere. My friends setup has the bleed running anytime the pump does. If anything I think it might help relieve any coolant stagnation. Kinda like the #4 coolant mod.

Hybrid booster

anybody know what year make volvo tank? does it have two 3/4" taps on it as well?

turbo addict

mid 80's I think. I just google searched Volvo 740 expansion tank.

ok so now that we have a image I remember more about how it's hooked up on my friends van. The bleed from the i/c goes to the small "pisser" nipple. Then the big return line from the IC to the pump has the bottom port T'd into it. So if the return line can just suck down from the reservoir as it goes by. To fill he just fills the expansion tank and then turns the pump on and keeps filling.

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Rob, in the pic in post #45 it looks like your fill cap is slightly above the top coolant run of the tank and I assume that you have some sort of bleed on the intercooler's coolant end tank to allow the air that is trapped above the big heater hose barb that is centered on, and therefore below, the top coolant run of the coolant end tank.
    In that pic, I had no bleed. I do now, however I haven't taken time to plumb it in permanently, so I just have a nipple on the tank with a hose long enough to reach the filler cap (which is higher than the end tanks). To bleed I let the hose dump into the filler cap while the pump runs, until I see no more air bubbles, then plug the hose. Whenever I get a reservoir installed, I will have the bleed hose plumbed into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    mid 80's I think. I just google searched Volvo 740 expansion tank.

ok so now that we have a image I remember more about how it's hooked up on my friends van. The bleed from the i/c goes to the small "pisser" nipple. Then the big return line from the IC to the pump has the bottom port T'd into it. So if the return line can just suck down from the reservoir as it goes by. To fill he just fills the expansion tank and then turns the pump on and keeps filling.
    Now that I see it, the square-body Jeep Cherokees also have a very similar overflow tank. So do many Audi and VW cars.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast