Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going to upgrade to an air/water intercooler

turbo addict

Re: Going to upgrade to an air/water intercooler

I am personally not sure if it mounts external or internal. When I was looking at A/W setups I stumbled upon those.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post

I run my AWIC water pump all the time. I was thinking about putting it on a manual switch for long trips (like to the Cali SDAC meeting) but no, I can't think of a temp switch in the 100* temp range. I did a search on line awhile ago for a 100* temp switch when I was installing my AWIC and found some but I don't remember the web site(s). I upgraded the heat exchanger in my van to this one: http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...c2fba5703326f8 and it made a difference in the speed in which it cools the air charge back down after a long hard pull. So the bigger your heat exchanger the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    AJ - got any pics of the AWIC in the engine bay?

Using Ford/Bosch pump, SC Mustang heat exchanger, small Volvo (or maybe it is from a Saab?) overflow/fill tank. I'll take a pic and post it.

I've got an adjustable boost switch to turn on the pump but I'm thinking it best to leave the pump constant on and just switch the 6" fans that I might get. It would be best to switch the pump by temperature but I can't find any that turn on at 90* or 100* F. Thought about charge air temp sensors but they are not switches; thought too about cold start injector switch but that turns off after temp rise; can you think of a common switch that turns on and stays on at some temperature close to say 100* F ?

The SC Mustang heat exchanger easily fits in the Charger nose of the Ramerati; actually I should have gone with a larger Chinese one but I got it on ebay for $100 and figured it is OEM quality and it does cool a V8 after all.

Here's pics of where I am so far . . .
    John please quit posting pics, you're seriously making me consider a water/air setup instead of the big air/air I have waiting to go in

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Jay, thanks for that. I should say though that I'm having second thoughts.

Not that I'm going to go backwards, just that the weight and complexity is more than I fully appreciated. For instance, I'd like to lay out the coolant hoses so that, like the AC mess on the passenger side, I can lift it all up and set it to the side when I have to work on something and so that I don't have to drain and refill and re-bleed the coolant of the AW system just because I had to get under there to work on something else. But how? with the heat exchanger stuck in the nose . . . . . . I won't be able to pull it out . .. . maybe extra long hose? can't be routed tightly . . .

I will weigh everything, both my old A-A set up and the new A-W one so I can report on the gain. I'll have to note the weight of the water too. Then there's the reliability aspect - pump, relay, sensor switch, and wires, not to mention hose leaks and bleeding air out of the system.

Corky Bell said somewhere that A-W is 25% more efficient and I sure like substituting several feet of 2.5" IC hose and multiple elbows and leaky clamps with two silicone 45s* and a reducer to the TB. The heat exchanger makes room in the core support area now for a wider radiator, or to move it toward the driver's side and that means I also have room on the passenger side for a mini-van condenser or proper oil cooler . . . .
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    John please quit posting pics, you're seriously making me consider a water/air setup instead of the big air/air I have waiting to go in
    I don't think I'd ever go back to an air to air set up again. It's so much easier to route 3/4" rubber hose than 2"-2 1/2" steel or aluminum pipe.

Not that I'm going to go backwards, just that the weight and complexity is more than I fully appreciated. For instance, I'd like to lay out the coolant hoses so that, like the AC mess on the passenger side, I can lift it all up and set it to the side when I have to work on something and so that I don't have to drain and refill and re-bleed the coolant of the AW system just because I had to get under there to work on something else. But how? with the heat exchanger stuck in the nose . . . . . . I won't be able to pull it out . .. . maybe extra long hose? can't be routed tightly . . .

I will weigh everything, both my old A-A set up and the new A-W one so I can report on the gain. I'll have to note the weight of the water too. Then there's the reliability aspect - pump, relay, sensor switch, and wires, not to mention hose leaks and bleeding air out of the system.

Corky Bell said somewhere that A-W is 25% more efficient and I sure like substituting several feet of 2.5" IC hose and multiple elbows and leaky clamps with two silicone 45s* and a reducer to the TB. The heat exchanger makes room in the core support area now for a wider radiator, or to move it toward the driver's side and that means I also have room on the passenger side for a mini-van condenser or proper oil cooler . . . .
    I wouldn't worry about having to remove the whole set-up to do any work. The only time I've had to open my system in the year that I've had it was to install the new larger heat exchanger. I've pulled my turbo, exhaust manifold, intake manifold, fixed a broken intercooler bracket (aluminum doesn't like to be bent and then vibrated), and transmission twice and never opened the water portion of my AWIC system. I wouldn't worry about having to bleed the system if you do open it IF you have bleeds in the correct place(s) and your pump is the lowest it can be. You are going to have to have a bleed to your reservoir at every high spot. I have two, my intercooler and my heat exchanger. Because the van is so tall I couldn't avoid it. With my new heat exchanger, because it has a radiator cap and a nipple for an overflow tank, I just cut the pressure part of the radiator cap off and used the overflow nipple as the bleed.

turbo addict

I don't think I'd ever go back to an air to air set up again. It's so much easier to route 3/4" rubber hose than 2"-2 1/2" steel or aluminum pipe.
    my a/a uses 3" tubing

my a/a uses 3" tubing
    3" pipe is much easier than 3/4" rubber hose that's why I only listed 2" through 2 1/2" pipe.

Here's the latest on BOV location. Straight shot for recirculating to compressor intake hose above and the casting is nice and flat for welding a flange. The top of the IC, where I first thought to place the BOV isn't flat but that's not dispositive, the discussion here was - put it close to the turbo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSM BOV 001.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	488.2 KB 
ID:	49770  
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

turbo addict

I upgraded the heat exchanger in my van to this one: http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...c2fba5703326f8 and it made a difference in the speed in which it cools the air charge back down after a long hard pull. So the bigger your heat exchanger the better.

What'd you have on there before you "upgraded" ???

John, Looks like a good spot. Put one on the other end tank so you can vent all that boost

What'd you have on there before you "upgraded" ???
    See post #14

turbo addict

Edit - there's a drawing - probe goes inside. They offer a normal (150* and up) adjustable controller with a 3/8th NPT sensor so I emailed to ask if the lower temp controller could be sold with a lower range NPT threaded sensor.

Any info on getting a lower range NPT sensor John?

They replied and said "no, we don't offer one." At this point, I've got enough to do, so I'll go with key switch to relay, constant on. Made the mistake of ordering an ebay silicone reducer for the TB/IC connection from China for the great price of $6 with "free shipping by China Post." First they said it was going to be here by 4/28, now it says 5/12 . . . .
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

turbo addict

Thanks John

BTW, AJ, I assume you don't mind my thread jack . . . .

Here are pics of the Mustang SC heat exchanger and the aluminum Shelby Charger bumper it barely fits in. The interior height of the bumper is almost 7" while the heat exchanger is nominally 6" and getting the support rubbers onto the end tanks is a squeeze.

The first pic shows one of the four end tank support rubbers, the second pic shows the exchanger in the centered position, and the last shows beforehand - outside the bumper. I may shift the exchanger to the driver side to better expose the pre-existing engine radiator since the old A/A IC was on the driver's side but the bumper narrows at the sides . . . .

Name:	Heat Exchanger in SC Aluminum Bumper 021.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	510.6 KB 
ID:	50084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heat Exchanger in SC Aluminum Bumper 001.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	504.2 KB 
ID:	50083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heat Exchanger in SC Aluminum Bumper 011.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	530.6 KB 
ID:	50085  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

BTW, AJ, I assume you don't mind my thread jack . . . .
    It's not a thread jack since you are still on topic, air to water intercoolers. I like it when all information is located in one thread. It makes it easier for others to research.

boostaholic

Jiffy-Tite makes quick release connectors, pricey but nice.
    http://cdn.racerpartswholesale.com/d...%20Catalog.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by fishcleaner View Post
    Thanks, quick disconnect with internal automatic valves that shut both sides upon disconnection - great idea and they say there is minimal reduction in flow compared to a simple barb.

I can probably get away with just two of them, enabling me to leave the exchanger and radiator cap/bleed tank in place while lifting the intercooler and its in/out hoses connected to it, all without dumping coolant/water and with minimum air intrusion.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by fishcleaner View Post
    I like those. Thanks for the link! Fuel application comes to mind.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

See the attached pdf - a $50 Chinese Ebay pump - 3 phase 12 volt submersible brushless magnetic drive with impressive claims - rated for 212*F, oil, gasoline, water capable, ceramic shaft and seal, low draw, big volume, half the weight and size of the Bosch pump.

Tested them side by side -

The first pic shows how both pumps easily throw water 7" beyond a head of 6' of 3/4" heater hose.

The second shows how they both easily circulate through both the exchanger and IC at high velocity, lots of hydraulic scrubbing of the exchangers' tubes.

The Bosch pump beat the Chinese pump by one second in emptying a 12 gallon wet/dry vacuum sump bucket in just over 1 minute while both threw water 7" beyond the end of that 6' of 3/4" heater hose. True "head" was about 5'6"

The Chinese pump, though, uses less power, is smaller, and weighs less.

Next test is to check time each of them take to pump that 12 gallons through the exchanger and intercooler.

Testing on the engine stand with the clear vinyl tubing taught me how important bleeding air out is and how to do it most effectively. The Chinese pump seems to be more sensitive to bubbles in the water - perhaps because it seems to run at higher RPMs through a smaller impeller/snail than the Bosch pump.

Name:	AW IC Pump Testing 003.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	479.1 KB 
ID:	50462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AW IC Pump Testing 030.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	512.2 KB 
ID:	50463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AW IC Pump Testing 019.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	421.4 KB 
ID:	50466  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by johnl; 06-09-2014 at 04:56 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

turbo addict

nice tests John

When the label on a wet-dry vacuum tank says "12 Gallons" it is really 8 gallons if you are using the volume above the lower drain and below the upper inlet.

So, results of testing revised. See pic of my notes.

The lower entries are the full system test - through both the intercooler and the heat exchanger; they show that both pumps move 8 gallons in just over 1.5 minutes, or at a rate of about 5 gallons a minute.

Note that, with the greater load of the full system test, the Chinese pump improved relative to the Bosch pump, albeit only slightly; the Bosch was warmer too, but normally so.

Name:	AWIC Test 003.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	477.1 KB 
ID:	50472  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast