Thread: EFI is acting like it's flooding???

Garrett booster

Exclamation EFI is acting like it's flooding???

I am having some issues starting at start up. I have to give it at least half throttle to start. I pulled the plugs and wow were I couldn't believe how carbon fouled they all were.I just got done refreshing the motor and slapped it in my 87 Omni with upgraded 87 wiring for T II status. I hooked up my dads DRB II scanner and watched the O2 sensor read out and the thing is running way to rich. The only mod I haven't done yet is to make the O2 sensor a 3 wire from the single one that I have on. The injectors that I have are from a 87 T II Shelby Z. Could the reason it's running rich is my single wire O2? I don't know why I have to give it part throttle for it to start. It's acting like either it's not getting enough air or way too much fuel. The LM is out of a 87 Shelby Z and I also have a LM that's socket-ed and have a stock 87 Shelby Lancer #087 chip( only stock T II with an auto trans cal). I have swapped both back and fourth with the same result. Also the thing is giving me a code 31 which is just driving me nuts!! I also posted that code 31 in the "I need help!!" section and really came up dry. I'm getting good input back there but it's just not solving my issue. If I didn't have to pass emissions this really wouldn't be and issue but I just know it wont pass if there is black smoke coming out the tail pipe.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: EFI is acting like it's flooding???

If you have access to a scanner, check the coolant temp sensor. Sometimes when they go bad they default to reading -40 degrees and make the car run so rich it will shoot black smoke. Also, if you have a fuel pressure gauge i would check your fuel pressure and make sure it's not dropping quickly after the pump turns off, which COULD (among the 3 possibilities) point to leaking injectors.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Also, check your fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vacuum line off and see if there is any fuel in it. I had one fail and it ran so rich that it would leave a trail of carbon on the road behind it.

Garrett booster

I checked the fuel pressure regulator and no fuel in it but there is fuel vapors I taste when I suck on it. I changed out the injectors to part number 5277895 from the 4303018 injectors and seems to be running much better!! But when it gets to warmed up to the point the cooling fan turns on, the idle starts to jump around and gets to the point that it dies. Starts right back up though. I was watching the DRB scanner when it was running and there seem to be no problem with the Coolant sensor it read around like 1.97 volts if I remember correctly and the O2 sensor was dancing from rich to lean when the idle was jumping around and died. I haven't timed it just yet trying to find a timing light to do so. But I have it set at 14 degrees as the DRB displayed but really don't trust that number. I'm getting like 15in Hg of vacuum which I think is awesome ! It's still pulling code 31 though and Im using the stock cal chip for that 87 Shelby Lancer automatic. But man does it sound mean!! It's getting closer but still have some bugs to work out. So as far as the regulator goes, should I swap it out or is it normal to kinda taste fuel vapors when sucking on the vac line??? Oh and here link to the video I shot of it running after the injector swaphttps://plus.google.com/u/0/110803105968245596411/posts

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Well i would think ANY fuel residue at all on the vacuum line side indicates a leak, but it is probably so minor that it's not really contributing to the problem you were working on.

I wouldnt trust the scanner's timing number (the computer has no way of knowing base timing, it will assume 12 and show you the sum of 12 and what it is currently adding), and i wouldnt go too far trying to chase that idling issue until you are able to set the timing.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

I think I might have found the issue!! My return line was clogged from years of sitting out in a field!!

Garrett booster

The car is running like a new car!!!! We are reading good with all sensors and the I finally got the nasty air bubble out of the coolant. Couldn't believe that really all it was was a clogged return fuel line and a leaky regulator. Now I got for fix the sway bar mounting holes do to the fact I busted the welds on the nut that's inside the K frame. Shouldn't be to long tell it's on the road!!!!

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Nice work.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....