Thread: Installing rear trailing arm to frame issues

Hybrid booster

Installing rear trailing arm to frame issues

Has anyone ran into major rust issues when installing these rear trailing arm bushings? My 88 csxt has some pretty ugly bolts going up into the car and i'm concerned about what is on the other side (up into the car). It looks like I will definetly have to remove these bolts to get the arms to drop to insert Johnny's polybushings.
    http://www.polybushings.com/pages/axlekinst.html

The three bolts holding the main bracket up are my concern. Does anyone know what's on the other side? Captured nuts? Nuts welded to frame? And if so can they be reached if they need replacment?

I just wanted to know what I was getting into before I start tearing things apart. I thought about cutting the bolt out that goes through the bushing and dropping the arm down to install the new bushings. Of course this would require me to put the new bolt in backwards (facing outwards towards the side of the car) But Johnny's instructions say not to do this. Any reason why that would make a difference?

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Here is the step in question
    "Step Eleven, install and tighten NEW grade 8 bolts,
    washers, and lockingcrimp nuts supplied with kit.
    (new bolt not shown here)
    Look at photo in step 4.
    You need to install this bolt correctly.
    It is installed with the threads going toward
    the inside of the car!"

turbo addict

Re: Installing rear trailing arm to frame issues

(been a long time ago I did this)
    If I remember right, if installed the other way it hits the crimp edge of the body.
    If not hitting anything it would not matter. Just look close to see.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

There are welded nuts up inside the body of the car that those bolts go into. It would be a nasty chore to get to them to replace one.

Hybrid booster

I'm going to try cutting the bolt out of the center and installing the new bolt backwards, I can always trim the new bolt if I have to. Thanks for the info

Hybrid booster

the "nuts" are actually a stamped 3/16 plate with three flared holes that are then tapped then spot welded to the body, pretty damn stout. i saw these plates when i cut the quarter panel/ rockers off of simons daytona for my car, i dont imagine they would ever use nuts, those would take much longer to spot weld on vs one large plate with the three holes. i wouldnt worry about stripping the thread id worry more about stripping the head off a rusty bolt not much if any junk can ever get to the back side of the bolts, the cavity they go into with the threaded plate is nearly sealed .

Hybrid booster

I found out why you have to install the bolts inwards, If you ever order a rear sway bar from Johnny the bolts have to face inwards in order to attach the rear bar to Johnny's end-link brackets. I looked at my other car which has a sway bar and was all "O...... thats why" lol. Suprisingly the bolts weren't too bad to take out, even though they looked ugly as hell on the outside they were still kinda clean where they went into the car. I still feel like I got lucky