Thread: Looking to buy a car. Need some advice on what to troubleshoot

turbo addict

Looking to buy a car. Need some advice on what to troubleshoot

Looking at buying a 88 shadow t1 auto car has set since 09 and seems fairly unmolested as far as I can tell. Car has 62k on the clock and is in very nice shape. I go to jump the car and it turns over no power loss light but the tach is bouncing all over and the fuel pump won't prime. Will run on starting fluid. I haven't had a chance to check if there is power to the pump yet as I have not bought the car but plan to. Another thing i noticed is there is a black relay by the drivers side shock tower that has wires disconnected but seem to not be original. One is grey and the other is purple and they are both running to the column but not connected to anything. Any advice as to where I should start would be a great help thanks guys

Re: Looking to buy a car. Need some advice on what to troubleshoot

One sounds like the asd relay, it def. needs to be hooked up or you get no fuel pump, injectors or coil.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

As of now I dont have the fsm in front of me..go to minimopar resourse, it covers the asd http://minimopar.net/electrical-powerfeeds.html

turbo addict

Thank you

turbo addict

Got the car home beat on the tank a few times jumped it and got it fired up. When I go to turn the ignition on all the solenoids and all the relays click on and off rapidly but when it's running it doesn't do this. Could this be just from the low battery while jumping it or something else. Also the tach bounces around everywhere running or not. No check engine light or codes. On another note while running the brake pedal goes to the floor. But it has been setting so I expended those issues.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Sometimes when the batt gets low, it can do that. Without knowing what the voltage is, hard to say for certain, but it is very possible.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Sometimes when the batt gets low, it can do that. Without knowing what the voltage is, hard to say for certain, but it is very possible.
    It was just the battery causing it. what a weird sound when they all come on. Tach is still on the fritz I think I'm gonna pull the cluster and check connections