Thread: 2.2 8v piston choices

boostaholic

2.2 8v piston choices

I have an 87' 2.2 engine that I want to make a little stronger and put common block rods in and I need new pistons. What are my cheapest choices that will hold up? I don't really want to buy forged pistons, but at the same time I want this motor to stay running for a while lol.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 2.2 8v piston choices

If you're going to go through that trouble why not do the extra work to put together a common block motor? Finding a common block motor in decent shape would cost you less than the pistons and machine work necessary to fit them.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    If you're going to go through that trouble why not do the extra work to put together a common block motor? Finding a common block motor in decent shape would cost you less than the pistons and machine work necessary to fit them.
    Well the reason that I don't want to go that route is because I have a completely rebuilt 87 bottom end, but I want better rods. If I go with common block rods that I have already, I would need different pistons. Plus I know 2.2 common blocks are hard to find anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by jl93sundance View Post
    Well the reason that I don't want to go that route is because I have a completely rebuilt 87 bottom end, but I want better rods. If I go with common block rods that I have already, I would need different pistons. Plus I know 2.2 common blocks are hard to find anyhow.
    I don't think a common block is hard to find at all. They came in everything from 89' to 94. Turbo common blocks are harder to find, but the only real difference is the oil drain boss needing to be opened up on the NA motors.

How much power are you planning to make? JT has a glove box full of 12 second time slips from his Shadow. That's light weight rods and all.

boostaholic

Yeah but I'd be in the same situation of buying pistons if I got a N/A common block.

Well realistically probably nothing over 16-18psi with a stock top end and supposedly an e1 turbo. Not sure what that would be power wise. I just don't want to have to rebuild an engine for this thing for a while. You think I'd be safe with the lw rods?

Quote Originally Posted by jl93sundance View Post
    Yeah but I'd be in the same situation of buying pistons if I got a N/A common block.

Well realistically probably nothing over 16-18psi with a stock top end and supposedly an e1 turbo. Not sure what that would be power wise. I just don't want to have to rebuild an engine for this thing for a while. You think I'd be safe with the lw rods?
    There are never any guarantees. However, with careful tuning I wouldn't hesitate to run at least 15PSI with them. It's amazing how much HP you can get out of stuff if you keep detonation out of the equation.