Thread: SBEC issue

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

SBEC issue

so I bought an SBEC for my CSX that had been opened up and modded so you could change the chip. Put a performance chip from a well respected company on this forum Now Im getting a code 53 (internal LM failure). Car still seems to run just fine so I dont quite understand whats going on. Has anyone run into this before and what should I check first.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: SBEC issue

I seem to recall something like this being caused by the cal itself. Something about the self-test routine being corrupted?

Rob would know better, hopefully he'll see this and chime in.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That used to be the norm, but most cals now mask that code.

I was hoping that the cals would/could still do the "self-test" to confirm the hardware is running correctly, not just turning off the "flag" (or whatever its proper term is), but it is what it is...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

There's not really a 'self-test' other than the checkum - which is what is failing and giving you that code. Cals made with MP Tune will fix the checksum so that the checksum value matches the cal's reference value (MP Tune doesn't change the reference value in case it's looked at with a DRBII).

Older cals and still some vendor cals do not fix the checksum to avoid the failure. It's not a true hardware failure. The only real downside is that if your cal somehow becomes corrupted - but not corrupt enough to keep the engine from running, somehow - you wouldn't know it. That, and you can't pass emissions, in states that check, with the code. Which may be another reason some vendors leave the code 53. Technically, custom cals are not legal for the road.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

That, and you can't pass emissions, in states that check, with the code. Which may be another reason some vendors leave the code 53. Technically, custom cals are not legal for the road.

I realize that Rob is saying the car will not pass smog with the code 53 but why? I know here in SoCal nothing will get through smog with a CEL.......but this code doesnt turn on the CEL. I guess the smog test equipment is still able figure out thats its a non-stock cal somehow? I havnt tried going through smog with this cal but........if it ran clean and there was no CEL, is the testing equipment sophisticated enough to still figure out that the cal is illegal?
    Last edited by Badger; 03-05-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    That, and you can't pass emissions, in states that check, with the code. Which may be another reason some vendors leave the code 53. Technically, custom cals are not legal for the road.

I realize that Rob is saying the car will not pass smog with the code 53 but why? I know here in SoCal nothing will get through smog with a CEL.......but this code doesnt turn on the CEL. I guess the smog test equipment is still able figure out thats its a non-stock cal somehow? I havnt tried going through smog with this cal but........if it ran clean and there was no CEL, is the testing equipment sophisticated enough to still figure out that the cal is illegal?
    No, they'd have to put a code scanner on the car...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    There's not really a 'self-test' other than the checkum - ...
    I thought there was some code that would "self-check", but I may be confusing it with code the manufacture used to bench test them before they went into cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    That, and you can't pass emissions, in states that check, with the code.
    I've passed with a MP computer, which, if they checked the software version number, which is what we're really talking about here, I would not have passed, because it couldn't match the OE versions. This was a "check only" place, if that really makes a difference... I think many of these guys have been conditioned to just look for a lit light. Other than a bulb check, they don't seem to think there can be a problem if the light isn't on... sometimes it's good to be different!

Mike

- Edmund Burke