Thread: getting code 31!!!

Garrett booster

Exclamation getting code 31!!!

I just got my Omni running to the point I can check things out and about 40 seconds in the idle starts jumping around. I turned it off and pulled the codes on the DRB II scanner and codes 12, memory loss, that's no problem, code 21 coolant sensor, because I pulled it to check timing, and this code 31 purge and EGR solenoid circuit. I'm not using the ERG since Shelby GLHS didn't. I checked the wiring all the way to LM's blue connector pin 5 and all is good there and checked the blue wire which all the solenoids are daisy chained to and all good there. But when I put it through the test mode on the DRB to check if it's actuating and I don't feed anything or hear it click like the waste gate and the MAP sensor does. What could be the cause of this????
    Last edited by matthis; 03-02-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Garrett booster

Re: getting code 31!!!

I was thinking that it might have something to do with my LM that's s----eted but I changed out LMs with a good 87 Shelby Z and same thing!! Code 12 and 31! What's going on here!!??

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff
    Simple. Bad solenoid.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Garrett booster

Now see that's is what I thought too but I rigged up a test light that plugs into the harness and when I went to test mode on the DRB, it should have blinked at me (my make shift test light). Then I thought that maybe the bulb I was using was bad and I hooked it up to the waste gate solenoid which I knew was working and the bulb blinked at me. Just like it was a blinker. So yeah the problem is that there is no signal going to the solenoid but the wiring from the LM to the plug to the solenoid is good

Gotcha. Yeah, that is weird.
    Bryan

Garrett booster

Well I just went back and double checked all 4 solenoids on the passenger side and unplugged them and ran a couple of jumper wires to manually turn them on and blew through a piece of vacuum hose to make sure they were not only clicking but also to see if the plunger inside wasn't all rusted up and everyone worked just like they should. But then my dad showed me in his service manual for the Shelby charger GLHS which shows all the mods that the Shelby Automobiles Inc did to the charger and found out and I quote from the manual, " The EGR solenoid is used to operate only the purge function." And then just for grins and giggles I compared the 87 Shelby Z LM wire diagram and saw that the EGR solenoid signal blue connector pin 5 and seen that is where my purge solenoid signal is (pink with a black tracer) and I couldn't even find the purge solenoid signal on the Shelby Z diagram. It just has EGR. wastegate amd baro-read solenoid signals. But get this, on the DRB scan tool I actuate the S/C servo solenoid and my purge solenoid starts clicking. Why under that function it works but neither the purge solenoid or the EGR solenoids are getting signal under the function it should?But on the plus side I checked all the vacuum lines and found the 2 running to the throttle body had crap in them. I haven't checked to see if that solved my idle issue yet but I'm hopping tomorrow it will at least solve the rough idle. But as far as those signal wires to the LM, i'm confused but I'm not giving u! If there's a will there's a way right.

Garrett booster

Hey Bryan, do you know anything about what a S/C servo solenoid is?? On that function it sends a signal to only the purge solenoid and not the others

I think that is the speed control (cruise). The only thing I recognize that would use that designation and have a servo.
    Bryan

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Use MpTune to make a new cal with the EGR code disabled. What electronics are you using? '87?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

yeah i'm using 87 wiring. Do you think that would solve the idle issue??