Thread: 1990 SBEC 2.5 Turbo, Code 27 #2 injector driver?

1990 SBEC 2.5 Turbo, Code 27 #2 injector driver?

My Dodge Spirit has a miss in the engine. The 1990 SBEC 2.5 Turbo computer is showing the Code 27 for #2 injector driver shorted or open.

Which cylinders does #2 driver operate? 3 and 4?

A while back I ran independent power and ground wires to cylinder #3 because something was shorting and causing it or another injector to hang open and flood the engine out big time, lotsa white smoke, gas in the oil, etc.

No smoke this time, just a miss.

Coming off the computer plug are 4 seperate ground wires going to the injectors. They seem to be set up as a common power to all with switched grounds.

I'm thinking of running 4 new ground wires and one common power lead to all, thereby bypassing any problems that may be in the wiring harness itself.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Re: 1990 SBEC 2.5 Turbo, Code 27 #2 injector driver?

Starting in 1990, the turbo motors used sequential injection, so injector driver #2 should correspond to injector #2. A common problem is poor connection at the injector connector.

Hope this helps.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

I had the idea today to pull the injector plugs with the engine runningto see which ones affected it. #2 and #4 were working, as pulling them definitely hurt the idle quality. #3 had no effect, but later this evening, pulling #3 at home hurt it somewhat.

The car has a Lonewolf Performance fuel rail on it (2 piece factory intake), and I'd like to know why couldn't the damn rail be designed so the fuel pressure regulator isn't sitting right over the #1 fuel injector plug, making it impossible to pull off!

I still have the Code 27, and it's idling rough, running on 3 or so cylinders, and getting about 14 mpg. I checked the spark plugs and they looked ok. No fuel soaked plugs like last time I had a Code 27.

I even used an extra piece of wire to replace both wires (one at a time) I had made to replace the factory wiring for #3 injector, but connecting it on either side made no difference. Time for a fully custom made wiring harness, not hard to make but I have no time during the week.

turbo addict

have you checked with a noid light at the injector plug to see if its actually firing that cylinder?

I found the problem, it seems that #1 injector (closest to timing belt) had gone open circuit. It was 1 of a group of 4 brand new Pep Boys injectors I had put in back in 2010 and had about 45000 miles on it.

This was confusing to find, as the Code 27 implied that injectors 3 or 4 were the problem. This should have come up as code 26.

The other day, when I multimeter tested the resistance on the injectors, the idiotic design of the Lonewolf Performance fuel rail kept me from being able to pull the #1 injector plug off and test it. So I didn't thinking it COULDN'T be bad. It was.

And another nearly new injector in my toolbox was also open circuit, but an old junky one laying in the bottom of my toolbox worked.

Nothing like the feeling of spending $22 on wiring plugs, wire, and crimp connectors, thinking you have to rewire the injectors, and then finding out that is not the case.