Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 62 srt4 dodge lancer

Garrett booster

Re: 62 srt4 dodge lancer

thanks omni 840.. updates are in the mix. i am determined to follow it thru

turbo addict

very nice project. Why are you using the 420a head? just to use stock manifolds i take it? With the amount of fabrication you do it surprises me that you wouldnt build your own manifolds for the engine! I love the odd ball body style! I am very curious to see how it looks shortened! What are you using for electronics?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    very nice project. Why are you using the 420a head? just to use stock manifolds i take it? With the amount of fabrication you do it surprises me that you wouldnt build your own manifolds for the engine! I love the odd ball body style! I am very curious to see how it looks shortened! What are you using for electronics?
    at this point i'm lean towards the factory electronics. but that could change. i've never attempted manifpld fabrication before.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    Are the pins on the pistons offset to account for thrust? Bitchin' project I love the old stuff.
    Good question.... rotate the pistons(the rod ends are directional). The wrist pins are held in by a c-clip(stock srt internals) and the pistons are a full floating design. Its a matter of a few minutes to flip the pistons around on the stock rods. For those wondering why...its because the intake and exhaust valves are inverted on the 420a head vs the DOHC or 2.4l head(KZE)

the body on the 62 looks vevy clean . I'm looking for something like that but in a wagon. nice job on the hood are the doors from a 2 door or a 4 door. looks like you own a body shop.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    Very interesting project.
    And for several reasons: car choice, fabrication exercise, motor/trans build selection.
    :thumbup:

What are your plans for suspension? Not very familiar with what's under the car now but for the year I assume something that will need modernizing!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Very interesting project.
    And for several reasons: car choice, fabrication exercise, motor/trans build selection.
    :thumbup:

What are your plans for suspension? Not very familiar with what's under the car now but for the year I assume something that will need modernizing!
    Haven't made uP my mind on the suspension. Thinking heavily about I.r.s from conquest. It has a similar track width.and the front,maybe rack and suspension from 240 sx
    Last edited by nowhereman; 02-24-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ohiorob View Post
    the body on the 62 looks vevy clean . I'm looking for something like that but in a wagon. nice job on the hood are the doors from a 2 door or a 4 door. looks like you own a body shop.
    The car is a 2 door . Wagons are out there I used to own one. And yes I do own a bodyshop.
    Last edited by nowhereman; 02-24-2013 at 05:32 PM.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
    Haven't made IP my mind on the suspension. Thinking heavily about I.r.s from conquest. It has a similar track width.and the front,maybe rack and suspension from 240 sx

Oh god.... dont do that

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    Oh god.... dont do that
    ​????

turbo addict

Very cool project! It seems this type of thing (sticking a turbo 4 in an older "compact" car as RWD) is becoming quite popular.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Very cool project! It seems this type of thing (sticking a turbo 4 in an older "compact" car as RWD) is becoming quite popular.
    thanks reaper. for me it's like this. i was going to do a 5.7 hemi swap. but then hearing the guys who did the swap complaining about 18 miles to the gallon. stock trim 390 hp. i get that in my 95 dodge ram with the 360 and that has 280,000 miles on it. where here people boast about 30 miles to the gallon and getting 400 to 500 horsepower. the lancer weight is under 2500 lbs before i shorted it.

boostaholic

​????
    Leave the t bars and leaf springs

Garrett booster

Leave the t bars and leaf springs
    like i said i'm not firm on suspension yet. but i'm not building a drag car. the only way available for rack and pinion is an alterkation set up and that will run close to $4500.00 .http://www.reillymotorsports.com/sto...cat=269&page=1 this is the only only set up out there that has had no problems with bumpsteer. myself being a body and frame guy, would have no problem grafting in a set of strut towers and a cradle from the above mentioned donor. knowing the track width and geometry are correct. but like i said i don't know if i'll go that route.

boostaholic

The alterGaysion stuff is even worse, if you get that stuff, it is manditory that you get a set of big stupid wheels, my 2 cents. neat project i have an 8 valve 79 dodge colt, but I did pick up an 05 srt4 2.4 yesterday....

Garrett booster

The alterGaysion stuff is even worse, if you get that stuff, it is manditory that you get a set of big stupid wheels, my 2 cents. neat project i have an 8 valve 79 dodge colt, but I did pick up an 05 srt4 2.4 yesterday....
    Yeah I was following. You on that colt. But then never saw it again. That srt4 would be cool in there

Name:  welder.gif
Views: 754
Size:  16.6 KB
    Last edited by nowhereman; 02-25-2013 at 07:30 AM.

turbo addict

For those wondering why...its because the intake and exhaust valves are inverted on the 420a head vs the DOHC or 2.4l head(KZE)
    i understand this, but why do you want them inverted? for example, if it was front wheel drive, i would do this to have the turbo in front of the engine for easy access. so what is your reason...

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    i understand this, but why do you want them inverted? for example, if it was front wheel drive, i would do this to have the turbo in front of the engine for easy access. so what is your reason...
    with the original slant six the exhaust came out on the drivers side. and from that the rear valance has a cut out on that side for the tail pipe.. then i can force air easier coming from up front than stuffed against the firewall.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Definitely subscribing to this one!

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

boostaholic

Haven't made uP my mind on the suspension. Thinking heavily about I.r.s from conquest. It has a similar track width.and the front,maybe rack and suspension from 240 sx
    I would look at the Supra rear for IRS, I don't think the others would hold up, people are running 1000hp Supras with a stock rear. BTW, cool project, looking forward to seeing on the road.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast