Thread: '86 LeBaron wagon hood

Garrett booster

'86 LeBaron wagon hood

I recently acquired an '86 LeBaron wagon, T1 with a blown head-gasket. Given that I'll be pulling the head, I'm considering T2ing it. Those familiar with this model know it's like the SC, having hood louver(s) with a drain assembly on the underside which would interfere with the T2 intake. Any ideas how to address this other than removing the drain and covering the openings? I've considered trying to find a TBI hood. Anyone know what other model hoods might fit? Anyone T2 one of these and happen upon a problem(s) I need to be aware of before I get started? thx
    88 LeBaron convertible 2.5 T2 {garrett} w/555 T-U 3bar plus 40 cal mildly ported swirl w/back-cut valves 86 supra front mounted I/C 223whp@19psi 14.352 @ 99.25mph RETIRED '87 SC (GLHS CLONE) TII with stage II MP currently a/t '89 Voyager factory 2.5 turbo 5spd garrett, 3" from dp back '86 Chysler T&C TII conversion

turbo addict
    Cut em off. I don't have a drain pan on my race car. It gets rained on all the time. No problems. Or you could just cut them and make a block off plate.

turbo addict

Re: '86 LeBaron wagon hood

Or find a turbo reliant wagon hood!
    Good luck with that one.....
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    Cut em off. I don't have a drain pan on my race car. It gets rained on all the time. No problems. Or you could just cut them and make a block off plate.
    I've done the same but I don't like it. The next one I do will probably be modified to drain the water to the back of the intake with CF or fiberglass.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    Isn't it just the little spout that interferes? That piece comes off.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Isn't it just the little spout that interferes? That piece comes off.
    Exactly, the only thing that interferes with the intake is the little spout on the tray, and that is easily removed. My wagon has been this way for a couple of years and there hasn't been an issue.
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Exactly, the only thing that interferes with the intake is the little spout on the tray, and that is easily removed. My wagon has been this way for a couple of years and there hasn't been an issue.
    And I see yours is T2? Cool. Which intake did you use, 1 or 2 piece? I'm wanting to use a two piece for the look.
    88 LeBaron convertible 2.5 T2 {garrett} w/555 T-U 3bar plus 40 cal mildly ported swirl w/back-cut valves 86 supra front mounted I/C 223whp@19psi 14.352 @ 99.25mph RETIRED '87 SC (GLHS CLONE) TII with stage II MP currently a/t '89 Voyager factory 2.5 turbo 5spd garrett, 3" from dp back '86 Chysler T&C TII conversion

turbo addict

I've got an 87 Chrysler T&C wagon turbo it was a log setup. Did mine not get louvers because it was a log setup? It's just got the flat hood on it.

That's because they got "cheap" in 87 and didn't put the vented hoods on anymore.

Garrett booster

So those of you that have changed manifold etc. converting to T2, what ecu are you using? I'm assuming I could go with a GLHS stage 1 or 2 which is what I have on my '87 SC. But when I had an a/t in it it would stall out often due to lower idle rpm setting for m/t. I was looking at FWD cals, but see nothing about use with a/t. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    That's true, but I still don't like the water coming off right there. In all reality it's not that big of a deal though.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by MoparN75 View Post
    So those of you that have changed manifold etc. converting to T2, what ecu are you using? I'm assuming I could go with a GLHS stage 1 or 2 which is what I have on my '87 SC. But when I had an a/t in it it would stall out often due to lower idle rpm setting for m/t. I was looking at FWD cals, but see nothing about use with a/t. Any ideas?
    I'm using a socketed 87' LM with a Boost Button cal on mine with a/t and it works awesome. It's got flash cel on knock and boost builder. I've gotten some really good kills with this setup. I smoked me a f250 on the way home from ma's this morning. Once from a dig and when he persisted once from a roll.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    I'm using a socketed 87' LM with a Boost Button cal on mine with a/t and it works awesome. It's got flash cel on knock and boost builder. I've gotten some really good kills with this setup. I smoked me a f250 on the way home from ma's this morning. Once from a dig and when he persisted once from a roll.
    Is this something you built or is there a source I could tap into? I've been out of the loop for some time and really don't want to spend the time learning (if even I could) the ins and outs of this advanced technology.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparN75 View Post
    Is this something you built or is there a source I could tap into? I've been out of the loop for some time and really don't want to spend the time learning (if even I could) the ins and outs of this advanced technology.
    www.boostbutton.com is what you need then.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

When I converted my Dad's '85 wagon from a suck through to a blow through with a 1 piece intake I had to drill out the rivets in the drain and just turn it. Post #39 details it: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...on-build/page2. I am currently installing a 2.5 with a 2 piece intake. I may have to adjust it again. I don't know yet.

Here is what I did to convert from a LM/PM to an '88/'89 SMEC: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...wiring-the-car

A.J.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I tried to close the hood today on my Dad's 2.5 with the two piece intake. I had to remove the previously repositioned drain. When I figure out a new drain I'll try to remember to post it.