Thread: 400 H.P. Recipe

Garrett booster

Question 400 H.P. Recipe

Im looking at building a 2.4L Turbo engine here soon, and I'm gonna shoot for the 400 H.P. range. I will be running an aftermarket Exhaust and intake manifolds along with larger Fuel injectors, Turbo and external wastegate. That being said what brands,sizes,etc should I use to obtain my goal?

turbo addict
    Engine internals could stay stock at those power levels but extra insurance is nice so a set of rods and forged pistons there.

Manifolds would be whatever fits your engine compartment.

For the Turbo a nice common T3/T4 50 trim would work great. The compressor can easily support 450hp and is very forgiving. Turbine for a 400hp 16v would be a .63 a/r with a stage 3 turbine(or equivalent" F" turbine wheel)

Injectors would be in the 65-75lbhr range. If wanting E85 multiply size by 75%
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

Re: 400 H.P. Recipe

Any brands or vendors to go with or steer clear of for that matter?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Welcome to the site!

turbo addict
    Stay away from eBay turbos. A good Turbo brand is turbonetics.

Check out the vendors turbos unleashed, and FWD performance. Both sell good turbos, injectors, and other parts.

Some other good places to go are Darrel Cox racing, and modern performance.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Is this car an SRT-4? If so, you wouldn't need an aftermarket intake manifold to make 400hp.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

Thanks Guys,

and No It's a 03 turbo PT engine going into a '85 Omni.

boostaholic

For an omni...

Custom intake manifold

Aftermarket log exhaust manifold

Turbo, Borg Warner (s256 or bigger) or Precision (5858 or bigger) would be my preferred brands

External Wastegate that will work with exhaust manifold

O2 housing and downpipe

750cc injectors or 1000cc if using e85

Walbro 255 or bigger fuel pump

I'd use stock internals, unless you are planning to want more in the future, if that's the case, I'd build it once while it is out and be done with it.

Check out agpturbo.com under the srt4 turbo kits, i'd stay away from their brand turbos. Also you can piece together a kit cheaper than what they have on their site.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jl93sundance View Post
    For an omni...

Custom intake manifold

Aftermarket log exhaust manifold

Turbo, Borg Warner (s256 or bigger) or Precision (5858 or bigger) would be my preferred brands

External Wastegate that will work with exhaust manifold

O2 housing and downpipe

750cc injectors or 1000cc if using e85

Walbro 255 or bigger fuel pump

I'd use stock internals, unless you are planning to want more in the future, if that's the case, I'd build it once while it is out and be done with it.

Check out agpturbo.com under the srt4 turbo kits, i'd stay away from their brand turbos. Also you can piece together a kit cheaper than what they have on their site.
    Still not sure that a custom intake manifold will be needed. SRT-4 one should work. PT intake will not clear the hood of Lbody.

Those turbos are way bigger than what's needed for 400hp. If that's the goal, and not much more, I would look at smaller, more responsive turbos.

I would not recommend stock internals in a swap. They hold up very well with OE idiot-proofed electronics. Not so well when you take off the safety features in the OE engine management.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Depending on what transmission you use you might need to cut the flange off of the Neon SRT intake and have it welded back on otherwise it will hit the tranny. I have one for sale that's already modified to accept the 2.2/2.5 turbo throttle body. I had to go with the PT intake on my SRT-4 Caravan build.

I read that you are going to go with an external wastegate. I just want to say that it's going to be a tight fit back there unless you stand the turbo up (turbo flange horizontal). I went with the Chrysler style swing valve and because I did that I had to make my log exhaust manifold low profile. I highly suggest you wait until you have the engine in the car before you mock up your exhaust mani or you'll be doing it twice. I realize an L body and a Caravan are apples and oranges but if it's a tight fit on a Caravan, it'll be even worse on an L body.

A.J.

Garrett booster

I was thinking about using a log style cast exhaust manifold (for clearance as they are generally smaller in dimensions) and the majority of them I was looking at had a external wastegate port. I guess that could easily be blocked off and use an internal style wastegate. I recently picked up a 568 transmission and did not think about that clearance issue with the intake yet. My engine should be in this week and I can start mocking it up to see how much room I have to play with.

A.J. Thanks for the info and the pics

Mitsu booster

I will be running an aftermarket Exhaust and intake manifolds along with larger Fuel injectors, Turbo and external wastegate. That being said what brands,sizes,etc should I use to obtain my goal?

_______
    Who will be responsible to clear the black mark in Leverage Season 5 DVD

Mitsu booster
    check out www.aspturbo.com
    The s256NET is pretty affordable, or you could cruise srt forums for someone offing a used 50 trim for even less.

The treadstone cast stainless log manifold is a nice unit.

I'd grab some 1000cc injectors high z if possible with a walbro 255.

I don't know about it fitting but the srt intake manifold is more than capable of your goal .

Install some arp connecting rod bolts and you should be fine on factory internals.

Throw some 95-99 neon dohc cams in there if you've got them kicking around.