Thread: Clutch release bearing.

turbo addict

Clutch release bearing.

I am swapping the van to 5 speed and I need a good release bearing. The pressure plate I have is a spec superclamp dual diaphragm so I need a good one. I've seen threads about using the 555 bearing instead of the 523 piece, is this the recommended action? The stock bearing is mostly plastic with a tiny steel plate to reinforce it and that doesn't loom strong enough.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Re: Clutch release bearing.

Turbos Unleashed has a heavy duty bearing. Anyone try that?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DevoBuzz View Post
    Turbos Unleashed has a heavy duty bearing. Anyone try that?
    If it's the same piece that comes with their clutches I've been very happy with them. They seem far better than anything else I've had in a car.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I know this has been brought up before and I dont remember if there was a solid answer given. Will the TOB from the 520/555 ect fit the 523/543/568 ? Part of the reason the 523 bearing isnt as robust appearing is because when the front pinion bearing pocket was enlarged the distance between the pocket and the input shaft seal retainer was reduced so they had to modify the TOB vs redesigning the transmission from scratch.

520/555 bearing http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...712&cc=1097805

523/568 bearing http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...792&cc=1097816

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    If it's the same piece that comes with their clutches I've been very happy with them. They seem far better than anything else I've had in a car.
    This the one I have and ready to install. The wire clips in the back of it scare me though.

http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/heav...ng-pi-430.html

PS - how do I install this anyway? do I have to remove the clutch fork shaft to install this?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DevoBuzz View Post
    This the one I have and ready to install. The wire clips in the back of it scare me though.

PS - how do I install this anyway? do I have to remove the clutch fork shaft to install this?
    I usually remove the shaft and install the bearing on the fork then reinstall. You have to be careful when putting it back on because you can pop it off the fork if you're not careful and it's hard to get it back on at that point IMO.

turbo addict
    Ordered a 555 bearing and tried it out, fits great. The spring clips are only held on with one rivet and a tab so I rotated them to their Max width and it snapped on with no issues. No clearance issues with transmission case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361970183262.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	44185  
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

The wire clip ones suck and dont last.....

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I have had several last a very long time.... (oem ones that is). Besides the larger backing support is the actual bearing itself any bigger on the older type ?

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    I have had several last a very long time.... (oem ones that is). Besides the larger backing support is the actual bearing itself any bigger on the older type ?
    The bearing itself is the exact same. The mounting plates are the only difference. The assembled height from shift fork surface to bearing face is the same too.

On the new bearing I noticed that it felt dry and gritty when I pulled it out of the box. I had some time to kill so I pulled the snap ring off the holder and pulled the seal out of the bearing. I then flushed all the old crappy grease which looked about like green dielectric grease and packed it with high pressure axle grease. Its much smoother now.

well TU supplied me with the plastic/steel one and it lasted one month, said I might need new cable, NO, this is with 6puck and their pp setup, the thing had two heavy impressions where the fork pushed on the backside....

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    well TU supplied me with the plastic/steel one and it lasted one month, said I might need new cable, NO, this is with 6puck and their pp setup, the thing had two heavy impressions where the fork pushed on the backside....
    I could see that happening with the clutch I have but I'm surprised that it did it with a TU clutch. The TOB that came with my clutch is a plastic/metal one and I'm surprised it held up to any use, the PO took the clutch out because he didn't like the heavy pedal.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    Was it this one? What TOB did you use instead?

Cant tell from your pic, but that looks like the laminate on the backside...Ive changed it once thinking it might have been a bad bearing, but its noisy again. Unless it howls or grinds I aint chaning it again...and when I do itll be the beefier old style!

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Shckwrr used the older style (555) on his 523..thats the ticket.

turbo addict
    I got my transmission in tonight and the 555 bearing works great, I havent hooked up the cable yet (89 cable and 93 transmission) but there were no clearance issues and the lever moves freely.