Thread: I have a problem Spirit R/T edition.

Hybrid booster

I have a problem Spirit R/T edition.

I have to many cars.. And here is another. (that is what the thread title is all about) I have no idea where this project is going..

Right now the plan is to fix some of the minor issues and use it for a summer beater.

It currently needs shocks/struts and I just ordered some KYB GR2's to get by for now.

But here is the starting point.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Re: I have a problem Spirit R/T edition.

Looks like a solid daily driver. Good luck!

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Looks pretty pristine/unmolested... I'd lean towards a stock appearing resto.

I say stock appearing because I can't really leave anything totally stock. But I wouldn't alter the outward appearance, so stock IC/piping, etc, but with a hot cal and maybe a turbo upgrade (just because the stocker is a bit anemic).

Of course that's just me, so long as you're having fun, do what you like!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

OK, only minimal mods/upgrades, do NOT lose speed on the Masi project!

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    OK, only minimal mods/upgrades, do NOT lose speed on the Masi project!

LOL!!!!

You mean the one I haven't seriously worked on in dang near what seems like a year!

Just finishing up getting some proper insulation in my shop so I don't have to use the diesel heater every so often and can use burn wood... and LOTS of things are going to get done around here shortly!

The Sand rail may come before the Mid engine car though..

Thinking I need to get the 87 GLHS running great first.. then the Rail.. Then the mid engine... (just wait till I post pix... It hasn't been forgotten!)

Hybrid booster

So I have the headliner out and recovered, and a box full of parts... All new brakes all around, suspension bushings, motor mounts, Shocks, Struts, Fuel lines, Filters, Oil, Ect Ect Ect...

It is going to be a busy weekend for this car!

Sounds like you have your hands full, have fun and take a few pics for us!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

I figured I would throw this out there just to document the build... I would recomend buy from polybushings.. Just because... Well... Just look at the mess I made..

I filled my motor mounts instead of buying this time around... I have lots of projects on the burner and poly mounts simply were not in the cards for this one, I only have some many dollars to burn.... and I didn't want to leave it with just rubber...

It is VERY important to make sure everything is clean... and I have a product which helps the poly stick to the rubber better....

and yeah... I had a small leak... I normally don't have that problem... arrggg....

So clean them up and tape it up... (the front one will get popped back out and the steel blasted/powdercoated just doing what I could with kids on a snowday)

Clean is very important... I used dawn dishsoap and then that rubber primer/cleaing product which is supposed to promote adhesion..

Then mix up some of this... Purchased from McMaster Carr..

Get upset when you pour the stuff and walk away.. not noticing a leak while more than enough extra sets up in the bottom of the can...

And the ugly backside where the tape sagged... honestly I was a little lazy with this... Normally I would use a bit of cardboard cut to shape... then tape over that... Making it nice a pretty... but for some reason I was .. Well... anywho... I have done this before and not had leaks... what can I say...

The ugly side.. which BTW can be machined pretty...

And there you have it... Shore 80A polyurethane filled rubber mounts... Cheap..

Hybrid booster

Headliner recovered and installed.. Shifter bushings done..

So in with the new struts.. (just kyb's from rock) I figured I was going to cut a coil or so...

Basically everything measured nearly the same as a set of Daytona Shelby springs except the free length of the R/T spring was a bit taller.. and maybe just a 1/4 or so more coils... I didn't take the time to figure the spring rate.. I just cut a coil from the Daytona springs and went with it.. I have plenty of those around anyway. and the difference I don't think can be that big... I guess I will find out..

Checking ride height... Well... Kinda.. I need to roll it around a bit t make sure this is where it is going to ride.. The rear seems to be leaning a half inch or so towards the drivers side... I have cut about a coil and a 1/4 from the R/t springs... but there might be some preload on the sway bar... I dunno.. Swapped rear springs side to side with no static change... So I swapped the back to where they came from. I'll worry about that later when I can borrow a proper set of scales.. I am guessing it just isn't settlling into place as the rear suspension move across the car as it comes down..

Oh yeah... I put a tapered 1 1/4 daytona sway bar in there... I guess there is a bit of a difference b/t the cast and the stamped swaybars... but not that big of a deal near as I can tell so far.... I just opened up the center rubbers a bit with some sanding/grinding and it pretty much went right on in... Just a tiny bit of help to get it to pop into the control arms.. I didn't notice any binding or rubbing loading and unloading the suspension...... But I need to check that closer still... Then new bushings will be on order if this actually works...

And white crab wheels I had laying around... I need to get it outside and see if I like this.. if so I will refinish them..

now... Off to fix the all original vacuum system...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by vipernbox View Post

Then mix up some of this... Purchased from McMaster Carr..

What size container is that? I see 1lb and 10lb listed, I assume that is the 1 lb.

Hybrid booster

yep... 1 lb... It is more than enough to do all three mounts and then some.. Maybe another couple assuming you are leak free.

The smaller container ships full.. the quart jar is about 1/4 full..

Hybrid booster

So I have a project for this evening. Some 3 inch Columbia river "B stock" stuff showed up late yesterday.

Hybrid booster

Damnit...

Seriously... I am going to quit trying to be nice to these cars at all...

This one has been a daily... sure I have opened it up once or twice... Whatever... But not like I usually beat on these things...

and now we have some kind of lower end rattle and shiny in the fresh oil change...

damnit...

I just took apart my running 5spd van... to put the sweet running 300K mile 2.5 turbo engine in the auto van... to of course... well... just wait for the build thread Then of course the auto van has some bugs to work out after sitting around... but no worries... We will get this straightened out ASAP...

I got work to do now!!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

The first thing I'd check is the dist gear/IM shaft... They seem to have an issue killing the gears there and, unlike the 8V engines that will kill the engine when they lock up due to a loss of the dist signal, the R/Ts won't as they have those sensors on the cam and flywheel.... Don't ask how I know.

There have been some good discussions on how to make these parts live better... I'll try to find and post it here, but if you don't want to wait, search Warren's posts, it is his mods (mostly) that I'm referring to.

Here's a link to get you started: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post738277

Mike
    Last edited by zin; 08-05-2013 at 03:31 PM.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

I fear you are right... The gauge was flakey... but oil pressure tested mechanically just fine... So I ran it...

If it failed.. I would not have known..

Oh well...

I'll build it this winter sometime...