Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Lebaron Turbo GTC, GTS and GT thread

Garrett booster

Re: The Lebaron Turbo GTC, GTS and GT thread

I picked up my first j-body in '11, a mint 89 premium 2.5T1 auto. Over the last 2 years I have been slowly 'improving' it.

It is now getting the GTC treatment thanks to this car (bad motor, tweaked frame)

FMIC, Garrett, 2 piece, 3" all the way, ported head from TU, big brakes, Johnny's swaybars, poly and ES bushings, much more. Will have it ready for spring.

Here's my '90 VNT

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Some info from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    If it's a TII then it's an 89 and they only made 1,033 hard tops and 903 convertibles. If it's a TIV then its a 90 and they only made 123 hard tops and 132 convertibles. That being said, any GTC from 1989 to 1992 was rare. Even the TI models. However, in 93 almost all LeBarons were GTCs and in 94 and 95 they were all GTCs.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by phantomrt View Post
    For a short while, I had TWO 1992 2.5L T-1 / 5spd GTC convertibles....

The one with the luggage rack and receiver hitch I've had for a long time--probably going on 13 years now or better and has something like 178,000 miles on it. I haven't driven it in two years or more, but I am planning to get it out of storage so that I can play again now that my finances are straightened out. Yes, I have hauled trailers around with it. Unrestored, survivor car. Not original as the EVIC system, luggage rack (to keep cops away) and a few other doo dads have been changed on it. But nothing custom except for a not-yet-installed intercooler.

Originally, the cars were identical twins, and the VIN numbers varied by just 3 digits with one being the check digit and the other two being the serial digits. They were more than likely built the same day.

I will question the supposed production numbers of cars like this because I ran into a few too many of them over the years for those numbers to be that accurate at 236 or whatever. Unless 90% of them ended up in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, those production numbers do not seem accurate.

I found a white 2.5L turbo / 5spd EVIC equipped convertible in a salvage yard, which is where the EVIC equipment came from. I got the transmission, entire interior wiring harness, door panels and a whole lot of other stuff for $40 plus a case of beer. Implementing the EVIC to full functionality is not for the faint of heart as 80% of the car has to be disassembled for wiring harness replacement. The car also has a factory amplifier behind the carpet in the trunk, which you don't see very often. The drivetrain can stay in place, but the entire interior has to come out and the majority of the trunk, too. It is keeping the analog cluster due to the fact that the digital ones suck when sunlight hits them. I notice that it happens frequently with the top down. But GTCs in these years did NOT come with digital clusters--only the LX models did.

What happened to your cars? They look extremly similar to mine. I have a 92 lebaron GTC. 568 and turbo 1. Red. Evic. Infinity Stereo and Cd Player. amazing condition. Black interior, enthusiast seats. I bought it in michigan about 1.5 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen a Lebaron with black interior.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

It is actually dark charcoal IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    It is actually dark charcoal IIRC.
    I have seen that. I wish there was a black interior for a Lebaron! I think the '86-older ones had it, but have never seen a '87-95 with it.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Garrett booster

Hey guys, there is a 89 GTC turbo 1 auto convertible, red with white top and gray leather, with 45k miles (hit front) at a pick-a-part about 70 miles from my house. i grabbed the motor, front seats, headlght module, 2 button navi, boost gauge, and wiring looked like a mint sunday driver, driven on the wrong sunday...
    just FYI....

Mitsu booster

Here's my 89 GTS:

(it was originally dark cherry metallic)

Original paint got really bad haha

turbo addict

I would LOVE to have a 89 T2 H body. With a few basic mods like a 3" exhaust and a boost button 20psi calibration it would make for a killer driver that would be able to outrun most cars you would meet on the street

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Well, that's an interesting way to accomplish that turbo placement! I looks kinda like a Volvo or Mitsu triangle flange. I have no clue on that swingvalve, though.
    That's a 3.8 buick turbo / GN turbo. Basically an 's70' in it's native housings.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Yeah, I figured that out a bit later when I was looking something else up and stumbled across rebuilt and upgraded GN turbos.

The other red 92 GTC that phantomR/T had went to Jackson in Wisconsin. From what I understand he was going to make a Phantom R/T clone, but I think he sold it before that happened.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Mitsu booster

had a burgundy 89 GTS T2, but when i got it the only things i could save was the drive train, molding on one door, rims, the rear spoiler, and shifter and cables, the rest was ether rusted or smashed. the rust was so bad you could get into the car by climbing in though the floor.
    i would post a picture but i guess i cant?

Mitsu booster

We had a 1989 GTC turbo II, 5 speed. Light pewter pearl coat, taupe interior and dark pewter rims. Looked at the car at the dealer one evening in 1989, liked the car but was not in the market at the time. Fast forward to April 1991 and the wife and I are at the dealer looking to buy and sitting in the front corner was the same car only now it had 7000 demo miles. $17,600+ sticker that we paid $10,000 out the door. The wife loved her turbo and still misses it, my son backed his cars into the rear quarter panel so we sold it

Quote Originally Posted by kensz View Post
    We had a 1989 GTC turbo II, 5 speed. Light pewter pearl coat, taupe interior and dark pewter rims. Looked at the car at the dealer one evening in 1989, liked the car but was not in the market at the time. Fast forward to April 1991 and the wife and I are at the dealer looking to buy and sitting in the front corner was the same car only now it had 7000 demo miles. $17,600+ sticker that we paid $10,000 out the door. The wife loved her turbo and still misses it, my son backed his cars into the rear quarter panel so we sold it
    Sounds like the twin to mine! Did it have a sunroof?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by kensz View Post
    Did it look something like this?

Hybrid booster

This is my 89 GTC T2 vert. It is getting parted out due to bad rot in the floor and sub-frame. A real shame as really like the colour combo.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

No kidding, that's a great color scheme on that car!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by banger68 View Post
    This is my 89 GTC T2 vert. It is getting parted out due to bad rot in the floor and sub-frame. A real shame as really like the colour combo.
    A friend of mine has the coupe twin to that one. It's also rotted out
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast