Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrible wobble, pull to the right...

Hybrid booster

Horrible wobble, pull to the right...

This happened a couple weeks ago and the car has been sitting, but, I need my car going to drive to Florida in a couple weeks...so I need to figure this out...

Ok...the story...

Me and my friend drove down to Baltimore from Hanover, PA (about 2hr drive). On the way down, we took off from a light once and heard a knocking noise. It sounded very similar to a rod knock but it went away as soon as I accelerated and never came back....

fast forward, we're on our way back on i-695 (for those familiar with the area) which is a highway...we were keeping up with traffic (since my speedo cable broke idk a speed) and were an exit before the one I wanted and out of nowhere the car pulled hard to the right and started shaking very badly and knocked with every shake. (Obviously not from the engine)

Remembering the time this happened with my srt4 when an axle blew out when I fought the pull, I went with it and took the exit.

Well this put us in a bad part of town, but, I pulled into a mcdonalds right off the exit and looked underneath...looked perfectly fine. grabbed the wheel...seemed tight.

Anyway, started driving down the road again, the wobble was there but not as noticeable, and I had the steering turned about a 1/4 way to the left to keep it going straight. So we babied it all the way home the remain 1.5hr drive at 25mph ish. Couldn't get past second (for an idea of speed).

Anyway...made it home in about 3hrs...pulled it in the driveway, haven't messed with it.

Today I decided to take a look, jacked the car up, everything looks perfectly fine. Put it on jackstands and started it up and put it in 5th and let it idle...driverside wheel was good. Passenger side wheel was moving very slow in comparison and I was easily able to stop it. When I let go, it would start again in a jerking motion.

No noise or anything. Shut it off and grabbed both wheels...no movement in either...all feels very tight...though there is a tiny bit of slop in the inner passengers cv joint, but nothing huge...just a tad bit. Driver's side has none.

Put it back on the ground and drove it up the road to a parking lot...full lock each way it sounds like a knocking/banging noise and feels like I'm driving on square wheels...also harder to turn right then left. If I quickly apply power or let off sharply, the wheel jerks to the right very hard. Steering is also loose and doesn't feel as tight as it should.

If I nail it and get it spinning though, it doesn't do it at all, it feels normal.

I'm still thinking the passenger's side axle just from previous experience with my SRT4. But if anyone has any other ideas...I'd be glad to hear them. I don't want to buy any parts for no reason.

Hybrid booster

Re: Horrible wobble, pull to the right...

Everybody is watching the game

turbo addict

Remove the suspect axle and move it around, plunge the inner cv joint and rotate it while doing so. You'll probably find a bad inner cv joint and you probably need an axle. For comparison purposes, remove the other side axle to see what a smooth one feels like.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

As long as the bearings are fine(hub) look at the axle shaft. It could be either joint at this point.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Bad axle usually won't cause a massive pull, sounds like something is broken or badly worn as well as a bad cv axle.

Use jackstands to verify tight suspension parts. Also check rack mounting, broken or cracked K-member, loose mounting bolts, broken control arms-I had a mini pull like a mofo but we couldn't find it, seriously, it was kicking me in the nuts, I finally starting messing around and found it, the rear sub strut had broken off so cleanly, than you couldn't see where unless you really start prying things around.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Bad bearing or control arm bushing maybe.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    Put it on jackstands and started it up and put it in 5th and let it idle...driverside wheel was good. Passenger side wheel was moving very slow in comparison and I was easily able to stop it. When I let go, it would start again in a jerking motion.
    That is normal to any cars that have a standard differential.

Look at the muffler bearings and the canooter valve.
    Bryan

turbo addict
    Sounds like you might have hurt the trans/differential part. Feels the same way when a 525 grenades itself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    That is normal to any cars that have a standard differential.
    News to me??????? Shouldn't be able to stop a manual car in gear. Especially 5th.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It is normal for open diffs when both wheels are off the ground.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Look at the muffler bearings and the canooter valve.
    I was thinking it was the turbo encabulator.

But I ordered an axle regardless, so ill pull it apart once the new one comes in. If I don't need it I won't use it. But that way I have it. Not putting a broken part back in.

And my srt4 wobbled and acted the same. But that cv grenaded itself. Like pieces bouncing off the flirt. This one is still together. If that's what it is anyhow.

I hope it's nothing in the diff. Idk how something in there would come apart at cruise on the highway. Especially a 568. Aren't they supposed to be the toughest in stock form?

I have a few videos ill splice together and upload so you guys can see what I mean.

And I'll check the rack and all. Like I said. Just weird how it did it. Perfectly straight highway. Out of nowhere at cruise. Axle would make sense if it got hot. There is a pin hole in the boot with a tad bit of grease spewed out. But not a lot.

Also forgot to mention. I hit a bad pothole about two days before.

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

And like I said. No play in either wheel whatsoever. Just the passenger side seems like it has slop in the driveline. And the slop is in the inner cv joint. But it's not a lot.

Idk. Ill post the videos.

Hybrid booster

Sorry for the horrible quality...but...here's a vid. First part you hear the noise...second you see the jerky wheel when it was in the air...and last is the play in the cv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN-uigH-FMs

It sounds like the outer c/v due to turning, but I have seen inner go bad and make some clunking noises too. I wouldn't think differential would in just one direction. But we have seen odder things.
    Bryan

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    It sounds like the outer c/v due to turning, but I have seen inner go bad and make some clunking noises too. I wouldn't think differential would in just one direction. But we have seen odder things.
    It makes that noise in both directions, just far worse turning left. And like I said, the jerking of the wheel with abrupt throttle movements either on or off throttle sharply. Also, everything sounds like its coming from the right side of the car.

Idk. I'm hoping its the axle. I can't afford more than that.

I would hope its not the trans/diff though...it was rebuilt by Forward Motion in 2005. I have a receipt showing a $975 bill for it.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Does the trans have a moly plate and a girdle on it? I'd be afraid to run an intercooled car with a 525 without those two pieces installed.

You could have hurt the trans or hurt an axle. A wheel bearing would make some constant noise and if one failed, whichever side it failed on would get really hot.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

turbo addict
    He's got the 568. But still wouldn't rule out a broken diff carrier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It could be a snapped axle shaft, or the rollers came off the tripod on the inner CV. I snapped a shaft right at the inner tripod once.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    News to me??????? Shouldn't be able to stop a manual car in gear. Especially 5th.
    If its an open diff, you can hold one wheel and the other will spin, vice versa, just make sure its not moving fast when you grab it or use a bar to hold it.

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    I was thinking it was the turbo encabulator.

But I ordered an axle regardless, so ill pull it apart once the new one comes in. If I don't need it I won't use it. But that way I have it. Not putting a broken part back in.

And my srt4 wobbled and acted the same. But that cv grenaded itself. Like pieces bouncing off the flirt. This one is still together. If that's what it is anyhow.

I hope it's nothing in the diff. Idk how something in there would come apart at cruise on the highway. Especially a 568. Aren't they supposed to be the toughest in stock form?

I have a few videos ill splice together and upload so you guys can see what I mean.

And I'll check the rack and all. Like I said. Just weird how it did it. Perfectly straight highway. Out of nowhere at cruise. Axle would make sense if it got hot. There is a pin hole in the boot with a tad bit of grease spewed out. But not a lot.

Also forgot to mention. I hit a bad pothole about two days before.

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

And like I said. No play in either wheel whatsoever. Just the passenger side seems like it has slop in the driveline. And the slop is in the inner cv joint. But it's not a lot.

Idk. Ill post the videos.
    Based on that vid, axle for 99% sure.

As for just going in a straight line minding your own business, years ago, on my way to hockey, doing 110km/h, nothing special then I here a tink and the engine shuts off, no warning, nothing. Try to start it, doesn't sound good???????? Have it towed to work, after some diagnostics and carnage, dropped a valve/seat,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

It was the axle. Put an unequal 90 auto omni axle in it. Now my alignment is off horribly but it's smooth and no more noise!

The outer joint was very very stiff. So I suppose that was it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast